No announcement yet.

2017 baseball thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A one hundred win season is absolutely no guarantee of post season dominance.

Nor is a 110 win season. Of the four teams to win more than 110 games in the regular season, only one (the 98 Yankees) won the World Series.

Comment

Yeah, at this point, the rest of the regular season for the Dodgers is only about staying healthy. Anything can happen in the postseason.

Comment

Watching the Nats at Padres, and it's the first time I've ever heard* of any player shouting in the middle of play. Zimmerman calls for Strasburg to step off, as the runner goes, and they get him in a rundown. I wouldn't have noticed it, if the commentators didn't go into it in detail in the gaps in play.

*I realise this must go on, but it's the first one I have seen in quite a lot of years.

Comment

It does happen frequently, but tends not to be picked up given the way microphones are positioned at MLB stadia.

When I used to go to Oakland at a time when the A's were drawing less than 10K all the time, you could frequently hear the players' communicating with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
            It does happen frequently, but tends not to be picked up given the way microphones are positioned at MLB stadia.

When I used to go to Oakland at a time when the A's were drawing less than 10K all the time, you could frequently hear the players' communicating with each other.
            It's one of the nice features of minor league and college baseball.

Comment

Never in doubt

Fly the W

(3 runs in the bottom of the tenth, which featured two guys reaching on swinging third strikes and a hit batter).

Comment

And so the moulting Jays' slide into oblivion continues.

Comment

Wow, that 8th inning against the Reds sure was something.

Comment

So, if one was coincidentally in LA for World Series week and HUGE IF the Dodgers got there - how would they sell tickets for the home games given there will be a necessarily tight turnaround time from the pennant games? I can't imagine they are all spoken for with season tickets and the like.

Comment

Clubs that are likely to qualify for the playoffs are authorised by MLB to print and sell tickets for the entire run, through the World Series.

As with any marquee event in Europe, a significant volume of tickets are reserved for sponsors and the "baseball family", with season ticket holders often having to participate in a lottery.

All that said, the secondary market for World Series tickets is always very active.

Comment

Ah, that's interesting and could be very helpful, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                          Ah, that's interesting and could be very helpful, thanks.
                          Wait till you see the prices.

Comment

Oh, I harbour no illusions about what it might cost.

Comment

The prices will be mouthwatering, but I would expect them to be lower than what tickets were going for at Wrigley last October.

The combination of the Cubs not having won for over a century (and not even played in the World Series for 71 years), the small stadium and the wealth of the fanbase created pretty much the perfect storm in terms of secondary market prices (which is why so many Cub fans bought tickets for games in Cleveland).

Comment

Rich Hill.

Baseball channel now. 3 outs to go.

Comment

FUCK IT. As soon as I finished typing that, the third baseman bobbles one, and fucks the perfect game.

Comment

He gets a no-hitter, but still pitches in the 10th.

Still 0-0.

Comment

Josh Harrison gets the walkoff for the Pirates. 1-0. I pity the poor gatorade dispensers.

Comment

Punch up in the Tigers - Yankees game. Not sure what was said but it sure sparked a reaction. Catcher ripped off his mask and Cabrera just swung for him.

Comment

"You don't want to see that," Cabrera said. "You don't want to see people … hit in the head. You don't want to see fights on the field."

I read as I watch it for the third time. That was a bit more than the usual push and shove wasn't it? I think some long bans are coming up.

Comment

Indeed, it actually had some punches (as well as some nasty work by Gary Sanchez on Miggy when he was pinned down by others).

The Tigers have nothing to play for, but the Yankees really don't need this kind of distraction

Comment

Are these uniforms because it's player's weekend?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...id=39498307690

The Marlins one is kind of OK. Not keen on the Padres one.

Comment

Yes

I am very much not a fan, though the players seem to like them

At least they aren't camouflage

Comment

Yeah there is that.

The camo is showing up on quite a few baseball cards now. You wouldn't know it was an alternative strip.

Comment

Well, your lot wear it much more than anyone else.

I miss the days when you turned a game on and immediately knew who was playing (and where) just by glancing at the uniforms.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X