Crystal Methanol - Speedway 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, now the shale has settled on the 2015 season I think we can start to look forward to the next campaign.

A few pieces of obvious news centre around the Grand Prix series. Coverage is moving from Eurosport to BT Sport which feels like something of an upgrade to me. It is also adding a German leg back to the schedule but in a town I have never heard of, Teterow.

They have released the full line-up of riders including wild cards but no real surprises apart from the underwhelming return of Lindback:

FULL 2016 FIM SPEEDWAY GRAND PRIX RIDER LINE-UP IN RANKING ORDER:

1 Tai Woffinden (Great Britain)

2 Greg Hancock (United States)

3 Nicki Pedersen (Denmark)

4 Niels-Kristian Iversen (Denmark)

5 Jason Doyle (Australia)

6 Matej Zagar (Slovenia)

7 Maciej Janowski (Poland)

8 Chris Holder (Australia)

9 Peter Kildemand (Denmark)

10 Andreas Jonsson (Sweden)

11 Chris Harris (Great Britain)

12 Jaroslaw Hampel (Poland)

13 Bartosz Zmarzlik (Poland)

14 Piotr Pawlicki (Poland)

15 Antonio Lindback (Sweden)

16 WILD CARD

17 TRACK RESERVE 1

18 TRACK RESERVE 2

SUBSTITUTE RIDERS

19 Fredrik Lindgren (Sweden)

20 Michael Jepsen Jensen (Denmark)

21 Vaclav Milik (Czech Republic)

The big news is that my Rye House Rockets have announced 5 of the 7 riders that will form their initial line-up, the first in the new post-Len Silver era. It looks OK as far as it goes but I'd be interested to hear Indy's thoughts on them but there is obviously at least one significant slot to fill:

Eddie Kennett
    Nikolai Klindt
    Leigh Lanham
    Kasper Lykke
    Ben Morley (mandatory 3 point British rider)

Charles de Gallois wrote: Coverage is moving from Eurosport to BT Sport which feels like something of an upgrade to me.
    Unless it is remaining on the non-British version of Eurosport it feels like a complete downgrade, since it will now be unwatchable outside the UK (though I presume speedway nations like Poland, Denmark etc will show it domestically)

Comment

Yeah, that's a good point. I'd be amazed if coverage disappeared completely from most European countries' but can only find details of BT's deal for Britain and Ireland.

Comment

Belle Vue's new national Speedway Stadium is awarded next season's World Cup race-off and Final. As such, GB are seeded straight in to the four team final.

Comment

The GP coverage will stay on its other channels internationally - this was just the UK deal that was picked up by BT Sports. Eurosport, interestingly, declined to renew. It's an interesting move. It will get nowhere near the amount of eyes on it that it got on Eurosport, or even on Sky, but there is the remote chance that BT might do something new with it. Chances are, though, they'll just take the international feed as is.

The Rye House teams looks functional, although I'm not sure how many away victories they'll pick up. Morley's as good a 3-pointer as any in the PL, and Kennett is a solid leader. They need someone who will make strides on his average but I'm not sure where they come from any more!

The Bees have made a solid enough start to their team building, although my happiness with it is entirely dependent on re-signing Jason Garrity. If they do, and he links up with Chris Harris again, I don't much care who else we have. It's not like we're allowed to win the league anyway...

The new chairman of the BSPA - King's Lynn's Buster Chapman - is promising to make sweeping changes to the sport, which should see him ousted pretty soon.

Comment

Buster Chapman sounds like a PG Wodehouse character

Comment

Rye House Rockets complete their seven with the addition of Stuart Robson and Cameron Heeps as a reserve.

I've always enjoyed watching the former, though he's 39 and has what I think we're obliged to call a chequered history. I know I've seen Heeps plenty of times but he's left next to no impression on me.

A solid but unspectacular side then, was probably always going to be once we missed out on Robert Lambert who ended up at Newcastle.

Comment

Last season, because I had a season ticket, I predominantly went to Elite League fixtures at Coventry, and not much elsewhere. This coming season I can see me doing mostly National League - the return of the Isle of Wight, the new Belle Vue stadium, and a chance to see a Coventry team at Rye House (my favourite place to watch speedway) again is the only thing that has me excited about next year.

That and the prospect of an OTFathon somewhere - maybe we'll even get BB&F! along?

EDIT: As rumoured, Isle of Wight and Belle Vue return to the National League. As do the play-offs! And no tactical rides!

Comment

Time to get this thread back onto the first page - we're now around two months from the start of the season and the fixtures should be out within the next fortnight.

For the first time in a number of seasons Plymouth Devils announced their full line-up before Christmas: Four returnees in Holder, Kurtz, Newman and Simota, joined by Ellis Perks, Stefan Nielsen and, at number one, Charlie Gjedde.

I bumped into Devils manager, Lee Trigger at my local dixcount store - mostly noticable by his Devils decaled van and his embossed fleece and beanie hat. Mostly he was relieved that the team is finalised but he was also very excited about signing Gjedde. His absence from our shores has been a combination of both injury and family commitments.

In other news the season opening League Cup has been rejigged. Now it's three groups of three and One of four which means two less fixtures for us, though as we're normally eliminated after the first few meetings isn't the worst thing. I presume the idea is that group winners progress to a two-legged semi and to get the whole thing over as early as possible rather than sometime in September.

There are still a few team places to fill around the PL - Glasgow look the team to beat though.

Comment

It's all doom & gloom at Rye House, though that is always the default setting.

As is becoming customary, the initial 1-7 announced pre-season will never actually ride together as Leicester announced the signing of supposed new Rocket Nicolai Klindt. This rules him out for us as both clubs home race night is a Saturday.

This news, the departure of Len Silver and the usual winter worrying of speedway supporters has led many to fear our new owners aren't really interested in speedway and just want to run it down and use the Rye House site for their motor sport and commercial concerns.

Lord knows if there is any genuine threat there, I was a little suspicious when the new regime was initially announced but they did seem to start to reverse the years of decrepitude at the place so who knows.

On a more personal whinge, my ticket for the opening GP-style meeting at Belle Vue's new National Speedway Stadium on March 19th may be redundant as my parents have told me they want to celebrate their fiftieth wedding anniversary that night. Hmmm, maybe I could hire a box at the stadium to host it?

Anyone thinking of doing the BEN Fund meeting on March 12th at King's Lynn?

Comment

The Speedway Best Pairs this year will have works' teams instead of countries. Promoters OneSport claim the FIM have forced them into the change, which will further the BSI/FIM/OneSport/FIMEurope drama, which seemed to have calmed down.

Comment

EL and PL fixtures published tomorrow at 0900.

At last...

Comment

Right, the season looms ever closer and there looks like a top class start which will be the opening meeting at Belle Vue's National Speedway Stadium in Manchester.

Unfortunately, due to a clash with a 6 Natiions match and a family commitment I can't use the grandstand ticket I bought a while back. Let me know if anyone can use it, details and line up below :

I'l be seeing the NSS for the World Cup final and race-off in late July instead.

Comment

Looking at doing Belle Vue away with the Storm in the National League in mid-April, so that'll be nice.

Going to the "Fans' Forum" in Rugby a week on Sunday. That might not be.

Comment

joined by Ellis Perks,

I never actually liked speedway as a kid, but was dragged along to it because my sister liked it and I wasn't allowed to stay at home on my own. I used to spend most of the meetings memorising the names and statistics in the programme.

Which is why I saw that and immediately thought "Dave Perks, Number Five, Cradley Heath Heathens".

I thought Ellis might be Dave's son. Turns out he's his great-nephew.

As you were.

Comment

Now my bloody speedway team are rebranding! ;

Rye House supporters were given a special scoop as the club unveiled its new-look Rockets and Raiders logos. Both have been designed by former rider Colin White of CW Race Products and bring a fresh look to two established emblems, while also coordinating with Team BMR’s contemporary colour scheme of black and chrome.

Fuck my luck.

Comment

It's always easy to be wary of this kind of thing but there are so many things about speedway that need rebranding so I'd take a cautious watching brief. The new owners seem professional and they've kept the Raiders so they must have an eye on the long-term.

- - - - - - -

I went to the BSPA Fans' Forum on Sunday - only 50 people turned up (250 had asked for tickets) but it was a good exercise.

The main thing that came out of it was a desire on the BSPA's half to make the bikes safer & cheaper, with a sealed & uniform engine to be brought in within two years. There's also an understanding there that, to protect British speedway, they may have to make some decisions that will lead to a little bit of isolation, which obviously has its good & bad points.

One thing that might come out of it - if I can find someone willing to take it forwards - is a more formal fans' representation to the BSPA. The new chairman seemed very open to it but I'm not I'm the one to do all the work it would need to set up.

Comment

Errorist Sympathiser wrote: It's always easy to be wary of this kind of thing but there are so many things about speedway that need rebranding so I'd take a cautious watching brief. The new owners seem professional and they've kept the Raiders so they must have an eye on the long-term.
                                    Yeah, it's not really comparable to my former football club's situation. It's just ironic that one of the nice little things about finding the Rockets was their colours.

The new owners seem to be dragging the team in to the 21st century and i suppose that is going to have pros and cons.

Interesting note about supporter representation. I noticed yesterday that Reading Racers supporters are meeting with a view to starting a supporters trust and a rep from the Cradley Heathens ST is speaking at it.

If supporters of currently defunct clubs can act (as those of the Rockets did some time ago) then wider representation should be possible for all supporters.

Comment

That particular Cradley representative was one of the more vocal - and boring and negative - people at the Fans' Forum. Poor Reading

Comment

Time to bump this thread.

While the season start on Saturday with the Ben Fund Bonanza, I'll be down the SBA for a spot of Press and Practice. Even if it is less competitive than a pre-season friendly at Home Park I can't wait to see a few laps and get a whiff of methanol.

Comment

Ray de Galles wrote:

Interesting note about supporter representation. I noticed yesterday that Reading Racers supporters are meeting with a view to starting a supporters trust and a rep from the Cradley Heathens ST is speaking at it.

If supporters of currently defunct clubs can act (as those of the Rockets did some time ago) then wider representation should be possible for all supporters.
                                          Interestingly we've got a four-team challenge lined up in April featuring sides representing Reading and Exeter, both of whom are stirring into life. I guess these types of meeting are the first steps in this process though I have no idea how they pick riders to wear their bibs.

Comment

Greenlander wrote: Time to bump this thread.

While the season start on Saturday with the Ben Fund Bonanza, I'll be down the SBA for a spot of Press and Practice. Even if it is less competitive than a pre-season friendly at Home Park I can't wait to see a few laps and get a whiff of methanol.
                                            I don't think I'm going to make a meeting until Easter weekend and even then my likely destinations of Lakeside and Rye House have buggered around with their meeting days/times for the bank holidays which may make it difficult.

Did anyone want that ticket for the Belle Vue opening meeting on the 19th? Will make it a freebie if so as looks unlikely I'll sell it on, let me know.

Comment

Speedway makes front page of BBC Sport website!

Oh

Comment

The BSPA released a statement, hanging Belle Vue out to dry. Reading between the lines - and from the gossip at Coventry yesterday - this was always going to happen, and they were asked to delay the opening event. However, the club seemed to have spent the ticket money on getting the stadium ready so could not have cancelled beforehand. Absolute farce. The overwhelming feeling was that the people in charge couldn't get this stadium built. They did but they couldn't get the first event run! Nothing announced yet, but the talk is that they'll cancel everything for the next few weeks to get the track raceable.

I went to Chris Harris's testimonial meeting at Coventry yesterday and it was PACKED. There must have been 4000 there, which for a pointless meeting is amazing. Shows the respect Harris earns from all fans. The racing was okay - Nicki Pedersen was great value - and it all skipped along.

One thing that I did hear yesterday was that the bulldozers will move in at Brandon on November 7th, 2 days after the last stock car meeting. Avtar Sandhu is a cunt.

Comment

Forgot to mention that I went to the newly rebranded (in the right way) Somerset Rebels vs Swindon Robins friendly at the Oaktree. I thought that, as I had moaned at them about changing their logo, I should give them some money when they changed it.

After a ridiculously "Hangover/Planes Trains and Automobiles" drive down there which is too long a story for even me to go into, we got down there 15 minutes late and miss the first two races. Was impressed by the track and stadium - even though £15 seemed a bit too steep. It was nicely packed but, it has to be said, very little atmosphere compared to the SGPs at the the Millenium although this may have been, firstly, due to it being a friendly and, secondly, because it was early on. Got ourselves a beer and settled down for the races. Noticed that, as you all probably know, it is a very tight track with no real straights. However, the proximity to the track made it very entertaining.

However, in the fourth race (which included Bath lad Zach Wajtknecht), main Rebels' rider Jake Allen wobbled trying to overtake and went over his handle bars and landed on his back. Obviously, everything stopped and the paramedics came on. We used the break to get a beer and burger. After a while, it started looking like we weren't going to get any more racing and, sure enough, by 9.30pm, they announced that they were waiting for a proper ambulance to take Allen to the hospital and racing wouldn't be able to get going before the 10pm curfew.

It's a shame as it was one of those times when it was possible to get a couple of more people into speedway and the distance, curtailment (while totally understandable to everyone) and, to an extent, price may have put people off. Actually, what is the deal with a curtailed fixture and refunds.

Actually, they are now talking about going to the more accessible Swindon and there may be a another chance of getting them down to Oaktree (which I would prefer) so all is not lost. I definitely want to catch some more club meetings.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X