IRELAND HAVE WON A MEDAL!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cian O'Connor has won a bronze, eight years after cheating his way to gold in Athens.

Comment

was his post athens ban affected by the mysterious theft of the b sample?

Comment

Come on now, all those rugby and football top wearing tricolour donning fans at the boxing today know fuck all about the sport and are on a massive bandwagon. I didn't say it was a bad thing, in fact I smiled watching the whole thing. When I wrote it I meant it in earnest and in a positive way. Let them have something to cheer about at the Olympics.

I don't see why what I wrote merited the "Oh, man" response.

Comment

What is most impressive about the Irish boxing is how well it is doing internationally compared to the resources made available to it - the story about Katie Taylor's gym having no loo sums it up. Meanwhile Mayo got a ridiculous amount of sport funding compared to Dublin...

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/athletics_irish/109070/

Comment

Bryaniek wrote: Come on now, all those rugby and football top wearing tricolour donning fans at the boxing today know fuck all about the sport and are on a massive bandwagon. I didn't say it was a bad thing, in fact I smiled watching the whole thing. When I wrote it I meant it in earnest and in a positive way. Let them have something to cheer about at the Olympics.

It's the Olympics. People from all corners of the world take an interest in sports they normally wouldn't when one of theirs is challenging for honours. It's perfectly normal, and frankly, there's nothing wrong with it.

I'd be pretty sure that the Irish cheering on the boxers are more knowledgeable about that sport than the Brits who've been cheering on the cyclists in the Velodrome.

Comment

Analogue Bubblebath II wrote:
              Originally posted by Janik
              16:45 tomorrow. I'm suprised it's so soon after the semi.
              He means Paddy Barnes, not Katie Taylor.
              Dunc is often a hard man to decipher.

Comment

Don't I know it! It takes years of OTFing to work out his code.

Comment

Outside Agent wrote:
                  Originally posted by Bryaniek
                  Come on now, all those rugby and football top wearing tricolour donning fans at the boxing today know fuck all about the sport and are on a massive bandwagon. I didn't say it was a bad thing, in fact I smiled watching the whole thing. When I wrote it I meant it in earnest and in a positive way. Let them have something to cheer about at the Olympics.

It's the Olympics. People from all corners of the world take an interest in sports they normally wouldn't when one of theirs is challenging for honours. It's perfectly normal, and frankly, there's nothing wrong with it.

I'd be pretty sure that the Irish cheering on the boxers are more knowledgeable about that sport than the Brits who've been cheering on the cyclists in the Velodrome.
                  Yes, the Olympics are the mother of all bandwagon events. And the Irish love a good bandwagon. Which is why a load of Irish turned up in Weymouth to watch a small white speck in the middle of the sea.

None of what I am saying is controversial, surely?

Comment

It's not controversial at all. Like I said, a bandwagon is perfectly normal.

I'm just wondering what your beef is with fans supporting something or someone en masse. Or what your beef is with Irish fans supporting en masse. A couple of months ago you had an issue with Irish fans cheering on a bunch of losers in Poland. Now you seem to have an issue with them cheering on a bunch of winners.

Comment

He's just doing his usual "I'm a moody outsider who can see things that the rest of you can't" routine. I can't be arsed engaging with it any more.

Comment

Morning all. Sorry to readers and sundry sportsmen for the cryptic insults. Spide(rman) is a Belfast equivalent of Ned or Chav.

Paddy Barnes won last night and now has a rematch with his Chinese opponent from 2008.

Updated medals mini-table:

Coleraine rowers 3
                        Belfast boxers 2
                        Others 3

NI could extend our new recrod of five yet further if our man in the hockey gets through the semi tonight...

Comment

Outside Agent wrote: It's not controversial at all. Like I said, a bandwagon is perfectly normal.

I'm just wondering what your beef is with fans supporting something or someone en masse. Or what your beef is with Irish fans supporting en masse. A couple of months ago you had an issue with Irish fans cheering on a bunch of losers in Poland. Now you seem to have an issue with them cheering on a bunch of winners.
                          Analogue Bubblebath II wrote: He's just doing his usual "I'm a moody outsider who can see things that the rest of you can't" routine. I can't be arsed engaging with it any more.
                          What the hell is wrong with you two, I already explained twice that I have absolutely no beef with the Irish people supporting Katie Taylor en masse, and that I find it quite entertaining. Who knows, if I was in London, I might even be there, because I like a good bandwagon myself. As you may know, I was actually in Poland for the football, instead staying home and looking for excuses to get angry at Roy Keane.

Jesus, I can't even make a passing comment taking the piss out of drunk fans in rugby jerseys at a boxing match without it being construed as an attack on the Irish nation. It stinks of self-rightousness around here lately.

As for yourself ABII, I have different opinions than you on many things but I've never called you mad, moody or insane or referred to you in the third person. So what if I think that certain Irish footballers are better than other ones, get over it.

Comment

Are there any Irishmen in London NOT at the ExCel for Katie Taylor's fight? Dara O'Brian and the floppy haired one off Mock the Week were in the crowd!

Comment

10-8. Russian was a dirty so-and-so, holding at every chance and even having a dig at Taylor's ribs whilst holding her in a headlock, but Taylor landed the cleanest shots and came through.

Well done.

Comment

Outside Agent wrote: I feel sorry for our athletes. Irish people seem to expect us to be able to produce another Coughlan or O'Sullivan with ease, yet the strides made by the Africans in the middle & long distance events in which we used to excel has been such that even if our current incumbents improve on the best times of their predecessors, it still tends to be short of the improvements made by the event's leaders. Any Irish girl who could beat Sonia's 5,000m & 10,000m times, for example would now be miles off what the Kenyans & Ethiopians can do now.
                                15:04 is the gold medal time just run in the London Olympic final.

O'Sullivan ran 14:41 in Sydney in 2000 for silver.

Comment

I saw that, but this year's final was a tactical battle and slower than was expected. Bear in mind that Dibaba's World Record is 14:11 - way ahead of times recorded back in O'Sullivan's heyday. Dibaba also holds the World Junior Record - 14:30, which she ran just a week after turning 19.

The strides being made by the elite Africans are just so big that it seems impossible that our athletes could bridge that gap.

Comment

Rogin the Kitten Minder wrote: Are there any Irishmen in London NOT at the ExCel for Katie Taylor's fight? Dara O'Brian and the floppy haired one off Mock the Week were in the crowd!
                                    There were quite a few at the London Live thingy in Hyde Park. Gathered in front of one of the screens, that had been showing the Boxing during the Nicola Adams bout. But which cut to an advertising stream just as Taylor was about to start. They were unsuprisingly rather pissed off by this.

Comment

I've just found out that Austria haven't won any medals at all at these games. And they don't have teams in any of the medals matches going on today, or anyone entered in the Wrestling or Modern Pentathalon. They do have two guys in the Men's Mountain Biking, so that is their last hope. Switzerland, by contrast, have three medals, two of them gold.

Maybe this puts Ireland's paucity of medals into perspective. Although I guess the Austrians and Swiss might point out that they make up for any lack of summer games medals two years down the line...

Comment

Irish competitors won medals in seven events. Is that really a paucity?

Comment

From a group of 6.5 million western Europeans, it's not exactly a glut. And this is a particularly successful Olympics, at least as far as the independant bit of the island (whose record is easier to look up) is concerned. The equal best ever* in fact.

Yorkshire have them well-beaten.

Comment

There are other possibilities between the extremes of paucity and glut...

Comment

Yes, but Ireland regularly underperform. This time they have reach roughly average for their population and resources, and it's as good as as ever happened, doped-up swimmers aside.

Hell, all-time, Rep.Ireland has nine gold medals and three of them are from Smith. If we expunge her record, it's six gold medals as part of an all-time haul of 24. In nearly 100 years of effort. Estonia, to chose a random example who happen to be near Rep.Ireland on the all-time table, have 9 golds and 33 medals (summer only), despite entering half as many Games as they were not independant from '48-'88. Slovakia, Georgia, Slovenia, Croatia are all close in the medal table despite records that begun post-'90. The only European country that pulls less of their weight is Portugal, everyone else manages a better return.

I'm constantly suprised by how little success Ireland manages in sport. I've asked about it before, possibly in this thread, and never really got a satisfactory answer.

Comment

Janik wrote:
                                                I'm constantly suprised by how little success Ireland manages in sport. I've asked about it before, possibly in this thread, and never really got a satisfactory answer
                                                Variously,

* Over-emphasis (by fans, media, sponsors) on sports that are either unsuited to the Olympics (eg horse-racing), too localised (egg-chasing) or just parochial (bog-ball)

* lack of investment in facilities both elitist (eg, 50m pools, boxing gyms that don't double as pigeon lofts) and mass participation (25m pools, astroturf pitches)

* too great a reliance on one bigger neighbor, so that, say, few Irish footballers ever make it to Spain, Germany or Italy

Comment

Although I don't have stats to back this up, I'd argue that Ireland has a higher-than-average sports participation rate for young people. My experience of youngsters over here is that plenty of them seem to participate in sports. It's just that the sports that most are involved in aren't Olympic sports. Soccer* is out in front for numbers, then it's Gaelic Games, with rugby growing by the year. That leaves a tiny amount involved in individual sports like boxing, athletics, swimming & cycling. For that alone, I tend not to be too critical of our low medal hauls at Olympic Games. The other day I was on my way into town, and I passed a number of FAI-run soccer camps and GAA-run Gaelic Games camps taking place in public parks. There were hundreds of kids participating in each, a sizeable number of whom were girls. It won't land us medals in Olympics but fuck it, the kids were playing sport.

Edit: *Yes, I know soccer is played at the Olympics

Comment

irish people don't care about olympic sports. there are four big sports here played by men and women, none of them feature in the olympics except soccer and it's pretty hard for a european country to qualify for the olympic soccer tournament. the only olympic sport that is quite popular in ireland is boxing and we do OK in that. we don't have the luxury of millions to spend developing gold medal winners in sports nobody else cares about.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X