other cricket this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cricket team in the village I grew up in (and which I played for a couple of times in my teens) is tomorrow facing Goatacre in the semi final of the village cricket cup, with the winner going to Lords for the final. Difficult to imagine to be honest

Up near Saffron Walden wasn't it? Good luck to your chaps. I've played on the pitch at nearby Audley End House.

The village final's a good laugh. My cousin Phil from Bath played in it once

Comment

Not that near Saffron Walden. Half way between Cambridge and Royston (not that far from SW either, I suppose)

Anyway, there's actually a crowd on what I still think of as my village rec. https://twitter.com/CambsCricket/status/630352205720236032/photo/1

Comment

Ah, Foxton. Can't hear it without thinking "Shepreth, Meldreth, Royston, Ashwell & Mordon..."

Comment

245-8 off our 40 overs. Sounds reasonable.

Comment

Won by 5 runs! Thanks to the GoatacreCC twitter feed for commentating the whole match. Foxton CC are going to Lords!

Comment

The spoil from the Crossrail Tunneling is being dumped in the old cement works at Foxton.

They have reopened the Barrington Light Railway to provide access.

Comment

Enjoy the final ad hoc, I guess your thinking about going.

Comment

I was, it's true. But then when I looked up the date of the final I found it was the same day that I'll be on a plane to China...so, not exactly feasible sadly

Comment

Priorities, how many times can you watch your team play at Lords?

Comment

I've been meaning to mention this one to ad hoc for a few weeks now, as Foxton CC's run has developed. It's not long since Reed (about the same distance south of Royston as Foxton is to the north) won the thing. It's bizarre to think of these parts as some kind of cricketing hotbed.

Comment

Big Boobs and FIRE! wrote: The spoil from the Crossrail Tunneling is being dumped in the old cement works at Foxton.

They have reopened the Barrington Light Railway to provide access.
                        The old cemment works are in Barrington, not Foxton. But the rail junction is at Foxton. I think it is heavy rail, though, it was basically a mile or so single track spur off the main line when the works was still going fairly recently.

Comment

The final is today. I have no idea how I'll follow it as I'll be in China* and I'm guessing twitter (which is how I was able to follow the semi final) is not something which China allows to operate.

(*Technically I already am, but the firewall doesn't extend to Hong Kong)

Comment

Maybe here: http://mcc.sportslinemedia.co.uk/

Comment

Gah. http://www.royston-crow.co.uk/sport/foxton_edged_out_in_2015_national_village_cup_fina l_by_woodhouse_grange_at_lord_s_1_4231127

Comment

Working...
                              X