No announcement yet.

Pound-for-pound, dollar-for-dollar: Boxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wilder completely out of sorts and as comprehensively beaten over 12 one-sided rounds as you're ever likely to see. AJ looked something back to approaching his best and dispatched Wallin with little fuss. All very disappointing and low-key, as was the 'atmosphere' at the venue. Still forget all that eh lads, let's go to where the money shouts loudest.

Comment

I honestly had to google that to check its was Conor McGregor. He's aged a lifetime.

Talking of which, Wilder just looked like an old man in there against Parker, no balance, no durability, no sharpness. The Wilder fight is interesting now only in the sense that Joshua might annihilate him.

I almost burst into tears when Daniel Dubois beat Jarrell Miller. That was a helluva gutsy performance from someone many thought just didn't have it. Maybe he does now, he'll be feeling ten foot tall after that performance. That fight and Kabayal's schooling of Makhmudov were great fights.

Agree that there was very little atmosphere.
      Last edited by diggedy derek; 24-12-2023, 01:31.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
        I honestly had to google that to check its was Conor McGregor. He's aged a lifetime.
        Booze, cocaine (allegedly), and steroids (al...actually, considering he got UFC to chuck out USADA, I don't think I need to qualify this) will do that to you.

Comment

McGregor used to be lean as shit. It is hardly surprising (except maybe I thought he was trying to get a last fight). I spent too much time following Hatton…

Comment

Blimey almost forgot. A Christmas treat. The second best in the world, the all-time phenom from Japan, The Monster, Naoya Inoue is about to walk to the ring, to take on Marlon Tapales. Yet another undisputed fight.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
              The second best in the world
              Who is the best?

Comment

Terence Crawford.

Comment

Another great performance from Inoue, although Tapales was pretty tough and caught him regularly with big shots. I give a lot of credit for making it very difficult. The undercard fight of Tsutsumi versus Anaguchi​ was an amazing fight, although a lot of punishment on both sides.

Comment

As of today, I believe Kazuki Anaguchi is still unconscious after undergoing a brain operation following that tumultuous fight. I was about to do a best of 2023 list, but let's just note that extremely worrying news.

Comment

Bit late, but here's what I reckon stood out from a pretty eventful year of boxing at all levels

Fight of the year: a host of fantastic contenders but for high level, high intensity fighting at an elite level, in a brilliant mix of styles, I go for Shavkatdzh Rakhimov versus Joe Cordina. The Welshman is one one of the most aesthetically beautiful boxers out there

Round of the year: there's only one possible answer and that is the astonishing (and scary) round 11 of Foster-Hernandez

Fighter of the year: Naoya Inoue has a very strong case but, Terence Crawford beating Erroll Spence was a very rare instance of a masterclass performance in a super-fight

Performance of the year: maybe it's an emotional choice but Daniel Dubois, who everyone wrote off as a quitter, came through against rough tough scary bastard Jarrell Miller and finished him off, putting all kinds of demons to rest. Honourable mention for local Stoke boy done good Nathan ‘Hitman’ Heaney for a win very few saw coming against seasoned hardman Denzel Bentley to win the British title

Comeback of the year: Jordan Gill's story of coming back from his life falling apart and the brink of self-harm to beat a fancied Michael Conlan was yet another astonishing comeback by this likeable fighter. Katie Taylor winning as an underdog for the first time has a strong case though

Disappointment of the year: either the Charlo brothers holding up the middle divisions, or Tyson Fury, for being Tyson Fury

KO of the year: it hasn't been in many of the discussions, but I'd say Leigh Wood turning around his fight against Josh Warrington in seven or eight clinical punches was astonishing

Event of the year: sycophants and client journalists will say it's something in Saudi, but the most successful event of the year on the gate by far was the blockbuster fight between Ryan Garcia and Gervonta Davis, two fighters in their prime who just wanted the biggest event

Comment

Usyk may fight his Hrgovic in an IBF defense instead. The shambles at the HW level continues...

https://twitter.com/SIChrisMannix/status/1753468422128898051

Comment

I’ve popped another boxing thread up in the (possibly vain) hope that 2024 will be bumper year. Maybe not with the big stiff idiot Hrgovic on the agenda.

Tragic news that Kazuki Anaguchi died following that gruelling fight back in Decemer. Complication following brain surgery. Just awful news.

Comment

Working...
                          X