Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 'Dakar'

...is currently in progress.

I seem to recall it elicited a surprising amount of hatred on here, last time it was mentioned. Not sure why - it's no more or less a rich man's plaything than most other big motorsport categories. Anyway...

I love it, though - one of the three big annual events on my personal sporting calendar (with the Tour de France and the Superbowl being the others). I just wish that highlights were available on terrestrial TV over here. I think it's British Eurosport only, though.

The 'Dakar'

I don't recall it receiving 'hatred' as much as incredulity that the "Paris-Dakar" rally was now being held in South America.

Surely they've not taken it back to West Africa now with, er, you know, the other stuff now going on there?

Comment

The 'Dakar'

Oh crap.

A Polish motorcycle competitor has died already.

Here's this year's course:

Comment

The 'Dakar'

evilC wrote: I love it, though - one of the three big annual events on my personal sporting calendar (with the Tour de France and the Superbowl being the others). I just wish that highlights were available on terrestrial TV over here. I think it's British Eurosport only, though.
        Me too. One of the Dutch TV channels broadcasts an hour-long daily highlights show. Sadly, I haven't found anything similar here in Germany.

Comment

The 'Dakar'

I think it's its historical association with French imperialism that sets many people's teeth on edge.

I'll link to Renaud's song on the subject if I can find it (which'll be appropriate in respect and solidarity, as he was financially involved in relaunching Charlie Hebdo in the 90s).

EDIT: Et voilà:

500 connards sur la ligne de départ

Comment

The 'Dakar'

Well, to me it's more about people driving machines through some of the most beautiful and unforgiving landscapes available on this planet. And that's mint. I can appreciate a few trucks battling against sand dunes on my TV while it's a cold dark January night here on this continent.

I appreciate that it's not like that for everybody.

Comment

The 'Dakar'

http://www.africarace.com/en/

Alternative event. Some footage being shown on Motors TV now. Only a few days to go so missed most of it unfortunately.

Comment

The 'Dakar'

Love the Eurosport Dakar coverage, it's a highlight of my televised sporting year.

On the driving side, very impressed with Al Rajhi, saw him competing in IRC/WRC about 4 years ago and had him pegged as another Al Qassimi, all the gear and no idea - but recently in the WRC he's shown genuine pace and it seems he's doing the same here.

One of my mates is a rally navigator at a decent level and he's got ambitions (together with his regular driver) of doing Dakar in 2020. So, I have 4 years to persuade Mrs TrL that we should spend that years holiday budget (and a lot more!) on two weeks in South America so that I can be team photographer if their plans come to fruition.....

Comment

Working...
                X