Australia vs India

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australia vs India

This has been touched upon in the Phil Hughes thread, but the cricket itself perhaps needs a separate thread.

Aside from the two centuries from Warner, Clarke's hundred through the back pain and everything else, today's play has been - if possible - even better. Set 363 Kohli decided to go for it and clattered a fabulous 141 at almost a run a ball. However he holed out about half an hour ago and India now stand at 315/9 (they have lost a wicket since I started typing this in fact), with just under 11 overs to go.

Meanwhile Nathan Lyon who couldn't buy a wicket on spinners pitches in the UAE a month or so back has 11 in this match which is somewhat baffling

Australia vs India

And over. Lyon gets his 12th

Comment

Australia vs India

India were only 2 down at tea.

Comment

Australia vs India

I didn't see the UAE tests, but have always been impressed by Lyon - he lacks any real variation, but is a thoughtful, consistent bowler who really deserved a big haul. It was a great test match, with both sides really pushing for a result, and I felt a bit sad for the Indians to get no reward from an enterprising approach today (especially after a couple of pretty shady decisions).

Clarke is quoted in the media here as being out for the series and potentially finished as a professional cricketer. The first innings century on top of the way he's conducted himself in these last few weeks would be a fitting way to go out, although it would be a shame when he clearly has so much more to offer as a batsman and captain when fit - I was even fondly reminiscing about his bowling today when the match looked like petering out before tea.

Comment

Australia vs India

Under the circumstances, this is one win I can't begrudge Australia.

Comment

Australia vs India

What a game of cricket that must have been.

Comment

Australia vs India

I hope India don't just subside now and we lose the competitiveness this game had. Could be a classic series.

Comment

Australia vs India

India 311-4 at stumps on the first day of the rescheduled Gabba test. Seems like nearly all of the Australian bowlers have pulled up injured during the day, which could be a problem for them if India keep going tomorrow for any length of time. Obviously very hot and draining in Brisbane - Vijay got 144 and was out in the middle until the very last hour and by the time he was out stumped, had, by all accounts, given up running singles and was just trying to score boundaries.

Comment

Australia vs India

And although play finished early (after 84 overs), India scored a mere 151 in the first two sessions and a very fast 160 in the final session.

Comment

Australia vs India

I was reading somewhere a few weeks ago some report that sports/outdoor activities needed to take account of the increasingly hot summers in Australia & schedule accordingly.

It prob also didn't help that this Test was so soon after the 1st one, with the compressed schedule after Hughes' funeral. Although Aus did make a couple of bowling changes.

Comment

Australia vs India

Aus missed Harris badly. OTOH it will be hard for India to take 20 wickets.

Comment

Australia vs India

In the balance after day 2. Aus did well to restrict India to 408.

Comment

Australia vs India

India are already shafted here, 20 minutes into day four. Dharwan retired hurt after an incident in the nets, and Kholi is bowled by Watson. Trail by 21 with three wickets effectively down.

Comment

Australia vs India

Three (effectively four) down now. Game and perhaps series over.

Comment

Australia vs India

Er.... shit!

Comment

Australia vs India

A guy in the office yesterday reckoned Johnson usually bowls well after getting a score. Seems he was right.

Comment

Australia vs India

Johnson's out of the 4th Test which is a dead rubber anyway. Be interesting to see how Kohli does as permanent Test captain; unlikely to be as laidback as Dhoni appeared to be.

But really I wanted to post about Kumar Sangakarra scoring his 11th Test double hundred, just one behind Bradman's record. That is a great record and this one came in a high pressure situation too, with SL well behind NZ in the Test until his knock. He's still an excellent player, at 37.

Comment

Australia vs India

It was a great innings, too, and only ended by a brilliant catch.

He's really quite amazing, Sanga.

Comment

Australia vs India

Imagine if he hadn't kept wicket for a large part of his career; you'd have to think he'd have scored even more runs.

Comment

Australia vs India

Aus absolutely battering Ind after day 1 of the last Test. A somewhat curious team selection by Ind which smacks a bit of "You've come all this way, you may as well play a game".

Meanwhile SL have it all to do to save their Test in NZ on the last day after Kane Williamson matches Sanga with a double ton of his own. NZ are going to be quite a difficult opponent for Eng next summer.

Comment

Australia vs India

And South Africa remain top of the rankings after winning their test series against the West Indies.

Comment

Australia vs India

Every team seems to be in transition, due in part to so many great players having retired in the last five years, and in part to a lack of balance between Tests and limited overs cricket. No. 1 is up for grabs but nobody currently has a winning streak that combines home and away.

South Africa probably remain my favourite team on the strength of having the most true greats in their current side. They are the team I'd most like to watch.

Comment

Australia vs India

The Windies are a shambles, but South Africa are a clear number 1 in my book.

New Zealand have been quite impressive in their home series against Sri Lanka. They have a nice set of seam bowlers and Williamson is turning into one of the best test batsmen going.

Comment

Australia vs India

Williamson just took a pretty spectacular catch at gully to get rid of Mathews, to add to his double century.

I have a feeling the NZ are an increasingly good test team who don't get enough matches against the other decent teams.

Comment

Australia vs India

I'm fascinated by the current Australian team, which feels as though it's already in transition, but is about to go through another awkward reshuffle: Haddin, Rogers, Harris and Watson are unlikely to make it beyond the ashes this year (and hopefully Watto is gone before then), and there aren't loads of ready-made replacements waiting for their shot in the team.

The thinness of the batting talent in Australia is astounding at the moment, when you think back to the mid/late 90s, when players like Law, Love, Elliott, Cox, Siddons, Di Venuto were all piling on runs without getting any/many chances in the test team. They must curse their luck to have been playing in an era when their rivals for test spots were the Waugh brothers rather than the Marsh brothers.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X