Your preferred start times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
    The standard football kick off time in Turkey is 1pm on a Sunday, it took some time to get used to but I miss it.
    Do people have a late lunch/just a snack or is Sunday lunch always late?

Comment

My experience in Turkey would suggest the typical family Sunday is a huge breakfast and then a picnic in the park in the afternoon. So football at 1pm doesn't really clash with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
        F1 Grand Prix, regardless of where they're taking place, should all start after the Sunday afternoon football has finished in the UK, allowing a short break for people to make their evening meal and be sitting down to it just as the parade lap starts. Qualifying should be at 1pm on a Saturday, UK time.
        F1 Grand Prix, regardless of where they're taking place, should all start at about 10am BST, so the whole dull procession can be over well in time to allow a nice lunchtime meal before the football comes on (or tennis, golf or cycling in summer).
        Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 07-02-2024, 08:34.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
          I am happy for cycling tours to start around 9am. Anything later than that it feels like they're procrastinating. You know, it's a bit like if you're on holiday, you want to get the kids in the car and out on the road before the best part of the day is gone.
          That would be massively unpopular with the riders, who would have to get up at 6am to have breakfast. Grand Tour stages should be scheduled to finish at 5pm local and the start time set accordingly.

Grands Prix should go back to a 2pm start, apart from Monaco being 3:30pm so the royal family can have their Sunday dinner. Although if I was king of world sport I'd just scrap the anachronism of a race anyway.

Comment

Why are boxing bouts almost always in the evening?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
              Why are boxing bouts almost always in the evening?
              Because they're paid for by people paying pay-per-view TV fees, normally in the build up to the fight itself after they've had a few earlier on.

Comment

And back in the day?

Comment

I'm guessing the vast majority of boxing bouts are not on pay per view TV. Only world title fights or similar

Judging by the crowds I see on TV attendees either treat it as a fancy evening out or something which you get tanked up for. In both cases evening makes sense

Comment

Boxing should be at 4.30 am or 10 am. The former was the Rumble in the Jungle, the latter the Thrilla in Manila.

Thrilla in Manila - Wikipedia

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

F1 Grand Prix, regardless of where they're taking place, should all start at about 10am BST, so the whole dull procession can be over well in time to allow a nice lunchtime meal before the football comes on (or tennis, golf or cycling in summer).
                      Ooh, I forgot about golf. That should be played overnight with no repeats on daytime telly. Ideally it should be played indoors, maybe in a tunnel or underground bunker, and existing golf courses turned into nature reserves.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                        That would be massively unpopular with the riders, who would have to get up at 6am to have breakfast.
                        Luxury! They should be grateful for our patronage; we are the Global Lords of Sport and they are mere jesters for our amusement.

Comment

But does golf or motor sport have a more negative environmental impact?

Comment

Boxing is a late starter in part to encourage the high-rollers and big players to snap up mega expensive tickets for a night on the town. And that’s as true for
                            small shows (where they hope people might snap up a whole table) as the big events.

But more prosaically, boxing promoters often have at least ten or so fighters they need to give a fight to so they stay moderately fit and active

Comment

If I was dictator of world sport I'd be more keen on expropriation of Ecclestone, Ratcliffe, sportswashers etc than pissing about with start times. But happy to delegate golf to Third rate Leszno

Comment

So, start times for Twenty 20 then?

Or do we simply not acknowledge its existence?

Comment

Working...
                                X