Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The King Is Dead

Barry John has left us, aged 79.

Clearly one of the most talented rugby players ever to take the field and a complex personality who struggled with the fame and pressure his gifts brought him.

This will have a massive impact in Wales and across the sport. Even though he retired before I was old enough to follow the sport his shadow loomed over Welsh rugby for decades and he was the yardstick generations of players were measured against.

Anyone ever see him play?
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 04-02-2024, 17:33.

https://twitter.com/stoddy38/status/1754189119985504469?s=46&t=YPTuyXx_pzpV4Wjm6pdF-Q

https://twitter.com/jasonmohammad/status/1754195044771270817?s=46&t=YPTuyXx_pzpV4Wjm6pdF-Q

Comment

https://twitter.com/g_r_owen/status/1754189636954378485?t=my5KsY3BaPgsajpKj7byjQ&s=19

Just noticed it's the same clip.

GRO is right, it's the glide, he makes it look so easy and the defence so poor.
      Last edited by Antepli Ejderha; 04-02-2024, 17:56.

Comment

My earliest rugby memories are of Wales tearing England apart with the name John a recurring theme. An opponent he may have been, but I could happily sit for hours watching him play. RIP Barry John.

Comment

I fear that with this news and JPR recently, a time of legends is passing.

Comment

I wrote this on Facebook:

Bydded i'r brenin orffwys mewn heddwch. May The King rest in peace.

Barry John, 1945-2024.

He was so good his nickname didn’t come from Welsh fans, or even British fans. It came from New Zealanders, after he led the Lions to their first and only series win in New Zealand in 1971. His ghosting runs, laden with anticipation of a pass which often never came as John simply jogged through the space created by terrified defenders, toremented the All Black defence. His kicking into open space ended Fergie McCormack’s All Black career; beforehand seen as the world’s best fullback, he was toyed with by John like a cat pawing at a mouse.

This achievement, still the finest in the history of the Lions, came on the back of Wales’ first Grand Slam in 19 years. John’s try to seal the win against France in a packed Stade Colombes, between Jean-Louis Perot and Jean-Pierre Lux, is the archetypal John try. The defence scampering to cover the wing, leaving a thin gap for John to simply run through. No need to pass.​

Comment

'But now the belts are empty
              Came a sadness with the dawn
              And the body-press is idle
              And the valley's blinds are drawn
              Disaster struck this morning
              When a fitter's mate named Ron
              Cracked the mould of solid gold
              That once made Barry John.'​

Comment

Barry John and that wonderful Welsh team pretty much ruined rugby for me (and I was very young when it happened). Once you'd seen them, nothing really compared except perhaps some of the great All Blacks sides.

Comment

Colour TV didn't arrive in NZ until 1974. That's why one of the great sporting stories of the 1970s is only preserved in black and white footage, unlike football's World Cup, Olympics etc.

Comment

If someone had invented the Rugby World Cup 16 years before it actually began, I wonder if Wales would have won it in 1971, given their Grand Slam that year and then the Lions beating the All Blacks with effectively the Welsh team.

Comment

No, the first one was not taken seriously by the northern hemisphere countries, so if we extrapolate then it would have meant less to them than a Lions tour. South Africa weren't banned, so would have been in the final, but using 1971 standards the ref would have been a Kiwi. Colin Meads stays on the pitch, All Blacks win.

Comment

Given the d'Oliveira affair, I can't believe South Africa would have been allowed into a World Cup in 1971 without the shit absolutely hitting the fan.

Comment

Rugby was different though. The Springboks were still playing in NZ a decade later.

Not many participating nations to object, unlike cricket and the Olympics.

Comment

Ireland had no problem with touring South Africa in 1981. Tony Ward, Moss Keane and Hugo Mc Neill the only ones with the backbone to say no.

Comment

I don't think the cricket establishment in the UK was any more enlightened than the Rugby one. The first cricket world cup was in 1971 (the women taking the lead) and South Africa weren't invited to that. In 1970 the men's South African cricket tour had been cancelled. There were widespread protests during the 69-70 Rugby Tour. Maybe if Australia or NZ hosted it then they might have got away with SA competing, but I don't think they could have if it was hosted in the North.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                Ireland had no problem with touring South Africa in 1981. Tony Ward, Moss Keane and Hugo Mc Neill the only ones with the backbone to say no.
                                Donal Spring too. A shameful episode.

Comment

Christ, I initially thought this was a very premature thread.

Obviously I get it now.

Comment

Ha! I was wondering if anyone would fall for it...

Comment

He was before my time given he retired in 1972, but I vividly recalled him being talked about whenever rugby was mentioned throughout the rest of the 70s, from the earliest year I can remember (1974 or so). Possibly the most discussed retired player in any sport in Britain at the time.

Comment

Working...
                                      X