The Magnificent Sevens - Rugby 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Magnificent Sevens - Rugby 2024

There is always a bit of a lull in the 15-a-side international game in years between World Cups and Lions tours.

That could be exacerbated in 2024 by the number of big players who will be absent from the major annual international tournaments due to recent retirement or signing club deals that preclude them being selected for their country.

So there’s a good chance that the highlight of the next twelve months could be the Olympic Sevens and the centre of the rugby world will be Paris for the second consecutive year.

The latest player to be rumoured to be interested in focussing on the format short-term, along with Antoine Dupont, Michael Hooper et al, is double World Cup winner Damien Willemse.

Not sure how much there is in this particular story but it reminded of the hook to hang the new thread off so here we go.

https://twitter.com/planetrugby/status/1734558727016010107?s=46&t=YPTuyXx_pzpV4Wjm6pdF-Q
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 09-01-2024, 15:30.

As it happens, Dupont has his first training session with Sevens squad tomorrow

Comment

Might Ulster win something this year?

Comment

https://twitter.com/francisaac87/status/1742949294208942380?t=t4GvOb26Zb1PE7-e-6JqnQ&s=19

That's a poor decision on their part.

Comment

https://twitter.com/argusondragons/status/1743256038009446801?t=HAsZYw7e3aadLbVR_VPRJQ&s=19

I really fear for his career now, he has been so unlucky with injuries.

Comment

https://twitter.com/_AlexBywater/status/1743948297566388364?t=I9d885OniX0S_q8-HQf2Mg&s=19

Not quite as clear cut as it seems.

In short he wants to become a doctor and is studying at Exeter and playing there. If he were to declare for Wales he'd have to give this up.

Comment

He wouldn’t have to give up his studies immediately if he chose Wales, but it could cause problems on his next contract renewal which would be in the middle of his medical degree.

We should just scrap any minimum cap rule, I’ve always thought that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                He wouldn’t have to give up his studies immediately if he chose Wales, but it could cause problems on his next contract renewal which would be in the middle of his medical degree.

We should just scrap any minimum cap rule, I’ve always thought that.
                Exactly, which is why he's not gone for Wales.

If the regions were on comparable budgets to other countries, that is close to £10 million then the minimum cap makes sense. They aren't so we're biting our noses off.

Comment

https://twitter.com/TheRoarSports/status/1744158303276663171?t=khlyzWKuywQNem2jnSx0KA&s=19

Comment

Andy Farrell confirmed as Lions coach for the 2025 Australian tour, unsurprisingly.

Comment

I would have preferred someone with a bit more success winning the big matches, but I guess Borthwick is focused on England after their WC run.

Comment

I fear they're both equally likely to pick Farrell Jnr at 10 in the Tests.

Comment

The final quarter or so of Exeter v Glasgow was the most dramatic imaginable though I still can't fathom the rationale behind the final pivotal decision.

Comment

Munster

Comment

The final quarter or so of Exeter v Glasgow was the most dramatic imaginable though I still can't fathom the rationale behind the final pivotal decision.
                              I've seen that decision, not sure how they reached it tbh as it looked like a try to Glasgow.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

I've seen that decision, not sure how they reached it tbh as it looked like a try to Glasgow.
                                It was to do with an early break from the bind at the scrum by a Glasgow player apparently. They had the sound down in the clubhouse bar I was in so I couldn't hear any explanation from the TMO or commentary team. Will review tomorrow when I check out a highlights show.

Cardiff managed to live with Harlequins until almost half time tonight in a cracking first period but were blown away after the break. They have to hope Racing lose away to Bath tomorrow so there is a place at least nominally to play for when Cardiff visit Paris next week. Hmmmmm...
                                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 14-01-2024, 10:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                  Munster
                                  Er, come again?

Comment

Er, come again?
                                    I think he means that they had a bloody good win in Toulon.

Comment

Originally posted by Muukalainen View Post

I think he means that they had a bloody good win in Toulon.
                                      Yep.

Didn't even think it needed an explanation.

Comment

It was to do with an early break from the bind at the scrum by a Glasgow player apparently. They had the sound down in the clubhouse bar I was in so I couldn't hear any explanation from the. TMO or commentary team. Will review tomorrow when I check out a highlights show.

Cardiff managed to live with Harlequins until almost half time tonight in a cracking first period but were blown away after the break. They have to hope Racing lose away to Bath tomorrow so there is a place at least nominally to play for when Cardiff visit Paris next week. Hmmmmm...
                                        Marginal would be my take on it.

Comment

Bath beat Racing but only after this filthy cunt escaped the clear red card this warranted and scored a decisive try before finally getting the sending off he deserved 70 minutes later for another disgusting offence.

https://twitter.com/rugbyontnt/status/1746521699254718582?s=61&t=AGYaHxwtRU_HNs0TqPMaJg
                                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 14-01-2024, 15:03.

Comment

Bath beat Racing but only after this filthy cunt escaped the clear red card this warranted and scored a decisive try before finally getting the sending off he deserved 70 minutes later for another disgusting offence.

https://twitter.com/rugbyontnt/status/1746521699254718582?s=61&t=AGYaHxwtRU_HNs0TqPMaJg
                                            I've just come on top post this. How four people can decide this is yellow is beyond me?

The player should be banned but also the officials.

Comment

https://twitter.com/rugbyontnt/status/1746546382041727061?t=lSWKLy17eoNcn36nQBqy-w&s=19

Here's his second red.

Comment

I'm serious, both are red cards and both deserve long bans but he'll get 4 or 5 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                                  Might Ulster win something this year?
                                                  OK, next year

Comment

Working...
                                                  X