Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Innovations Named After The Innovators

Fosbury Flop

Mankad (to the annoyance of his admirers)

Ali Shuffle

Bosie (Bosanquet), the name Aussies gave to the googly

Cruyff turn

Panenka
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 28-10-2023, 02:15.

Tommy John surgery (named after the patient, rather then the surgeon).

Comment

These are very common in figure skating and gymnastics

Lutz, Salchow, etc

Simone Biles has moves named after her in most disciplines

https://members.usagym.org/pages/gym...illsNamed.html

Comment

In the spirit of Thomas Edison's forgotten contemporaries or predecessors, there are also the famous names who pushed the actual innovators out of the history books, e.g.

Makélélé role

Comment

The Garryowen in rugby is named after a club rather than a player, but might be worth a mention.
          In the NFL, there's a thing called the 'Peanut punch' where a defender punches the ball out of an attacker's hands. It's named after Charles Tillman, whose nickname was Peanut.

Comment

Couple of non-sporting examples:

Heimlich Manoeuvre (after US doctor Henry Heimlich, who supposedly devised said ‘maneuver’)

Alexander Technique (method of postural projection named after its innovator, Frederick Alexander)

Comment

Montesorri schools

The Stanislavski method

The Plimsoll line

Comment

A Bosman?

Comment

The Makélélé Role?

Comment

The cricket shot known as the dilscoop when the ball is hit over the wicketkeepers head is named after Tillakaratne Dilshan.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                      Couple of non-sporting examples:
                      Ah, if we're going outside of sports: my buddy Remco once butchered the opening of a bag of crisps so horrifically that half the crisps spilled all over the room. Since then, opening packaging with more damage than intended is called "Remcoing the bag".

Perhaps we're all a little more interested in stories that are known outside of my direct friend circle, but the opening post did not forbid this sort of thing, so here we are.

Comment

In golf, a "mulligan" is the term used in (friendly) games for when a tee shot is so bad that it barely gets off the tee or goes straight into a gorse bush 30 yards away, that everyone else in the group laughs and says "Go on, take a mulligan" and the embarrassed player is allowed to re-take it and start again. It was according to legend coined for a David Mulligan, who was the manager of the Waldorf- Astoria Hotel in New York in the 1930s, and clearly not a very good golfer, but possibly not someone you'd want to upset as a playing partner. Reports of Donald Trump taking "mulligans" from his playing partners not just off the tee but all over the course are so legion that I'm surprised "playing a Trump" hasn't similarly entered into the lexicon.
                        Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 28-10-2023, 11:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post

Ah, if we're going outside of sports: my buddy Remco once butchered the opening of a bag of crisps so horrifically that half the crisps spilled all over the room. Since then, opening packaging with more damage than intended is called "Remcoing the bag".

Perhaps we're all a little more interested in stories that are known outside of my direct friend circle, but the opening post did not forbid this sort of thing, so here we are.
                          When one spends most of one's waking life on a bicycle, habits associated with the consumption of nourishment can take hold.
                          Last edited by ursus arctos; 28-10-2023, 11:55.

Comment

There are multiple origin stories for Mulligan, all of which are problematic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulligan_(games)

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                              Reports of Donald Trump taking "mulligans" from his playing partners not just off the tee but all over the course are so legion that I'm surprised "playing a Trump" hasn't similarly entered into the lexicon.
                              I often describe my shots as Trumps, or previously Bushes or Rumsfelds, when they're completely shit and wildly off to the right, out of play, uncontrollable nonsense.

Comment

Duckworth - Lewis Method.

Comment

Nat Sciver-Brunt’s ‘natmeg’, her crazy nutmeg shot which went between her legs

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                                    Duckworth - Lewis Method.
                                    True but I was intending the thread to be more about innovations in techniques rather than technology or format. I think I mentioned D&L on "People in sport as famous as any of the players" which has that wider remit.​

Comment

In the NHL, Trevor Zegras regularly tries "The Michigan", which is going behind the goal, lifting the puck up onto his stick blade and carrying it before stuffing it into the net.

Also hockey related and memorialised on a stamp due to it winning an Olympic Gold Medal is The Forsberg.

Comment

Those hockey vids are ace.

For the record, the cricket par score method is Duckworth Lewis Stern.

Comment

I'll be dead in the cold, cold ground before I call that "The Michigan."

Comment

The Kempa, named for Bernhard Kempa (there is also a Uhlsport brand with his name).

where a handball player catches the ball and shoots it while in the air, above the 6m area.

Comment

Lots of medical devices are named for inventors.

Foley catheters, Holter monitor, Swan Ganz catheter, etc.

Comment

The Hill's Hoist.

Comment

The Petrov-Bubka technique

Comment

Working...
                                                  X