A La Modi - Cricket World Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A La Modi - Cricket World Cup

For Ray de Galles sake I've finally assayed a mild pun in a cricket thread title, with the lack of success of it testament to why I usually don't.

Anyway, India are big favourites, with Gill, Kishan and SKY adding the super fast scoring to Rohit, Kohli and Rahul's run a ball consistency, plus the best seam attack and the best spin attack. They are ranked number one in ODIs, and they are at home. The only thing counting against them is that they have underperformed in recent big tournaments.

Pakistan have only just lost the number one ranking but their issues were laid bare in their warm-up defeat to NZ - they racked up 350 (which they are extremely good at doing) but with Naseem Shah sadly out of the tournament, and Shaheen Shah Afridi also missing the game they were battered around the park by NZ power players. They need their bowlers to be able to restrict the opposition to below 350 as their batters won't consistently exceed that.

England are a bit of an unknown quantity despite the squad being full of experienced white ball cricketers as their best team has barely played together since 2019. It might gel, it might not, but they have a lot of players who aren't in the best of form. They do bat very deep, which means when things go right they can pile up massive scores.

Australia have issues with their middle order which looks very strong on paper, but none of Stoinis, Maxwell or Carey have been scoring big runs recently, and Head's injury hurts their top order. Lots of good bowlers, but they have conceded some big scores against SA and India in the warm-ups.

New Zealand look good, lots of depth in batting and (especially) bowling. Williamson's injury does hurt them though (he's likely to play some/most of the tournament but obviously will be short of batting practice), despite Mitchell having stepped up into the Mr Dependable role. Too strong to be seen as dark horses - and they've reached the last 2 WC finals.

Bangladesh have left out Tamim, which leaves them a bit short of batters, but they do have some very promising young players coming through. Not having to deal with the Tamim vs Shakib feud may leave them better placed mentally. They've got a good bowling attack for Indian conditions.

South Africa were looking in bad shape a few weeks ago, then suddenly their batters found their form. I think they may struggle if the pitches are doing plenty as their batters aren't that brilliant technically but on flat pitches, they have good hitters and a strong bowling attack.

Afghanistan have very good bowling, but their batting isn't good enough, I don't think. They've also not had as many games together as you'd want.

Sri Lanka struggled a bit to qualify, but they have now got an excellent and varied bowling attack. Their batting is far more inconsistent and that will mean they won't be winning the tournament, but they can beat anyone on their day.

Netherlands have barely played a game since their amazing qualification. They've slightly strengthened their side with a handful of county players returning, but the fact that a few county journeymen returning has improved their squad shows how big their task is. They may cause a shock, but the aren't getting out of their group.

The number of warm up matches that have been washed out in whole or in part is concerning

Comment

Yes. It is coming to the end of the monsoon season and the hope seems to be that as the tournament progresses rain should be less of a factor, but weather is less and less following traditional behaviour.

Comment

Thanks Etienne

I have limited faith in Làñkà

Comment

You shouldn't ever credit that BJP sociopath with anything positive about India though...

Comment

Belated applause for the thread title, Etienne!

Comment

I found this piece interesting

https://twitter.com/kaushik_cb/status/1709252134112555409?s=12&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow]

Comment

https://twitter.com/phil_wisden/status/1709595247590732260?s=12&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Comment

Not many in the Bigot-Dome, though with that capacity I guess even a 30,000 crowd would rattle around a bit. Maybe more will turn up in the evening.

Decent start by England anyway

Comment

Bigot-Dome?

Hmm...

I mean I know M*di's a C***​​​​​​, but doubtful the vast majority of spectators are...

Seems like more anti-Indian diatribe?

Comment

It's named after him. The comment was about the name of the stadium, nothing else

Comment

OK, but am sure E10 is more than capable of responding...

Comment

I'm sure he is too, but it was bleeding obvious what he meant and I thought you were a big fan of stating the bleeding obvious

Comment

Lolz. If you say so.

Comment

I remain bemused that anyone doesn't have Gonzo on ignore.

Has he ever posted anything that makes you think?
                              Has he ever posted anything that makes you laugh?
                              Has he ever posted anything that makes you think he has considered what you have posted?

Any time spent engaging with him is time wasted and it clutters up the thread.

Anyway, happy to see Root make a 50. Plenty of fast scorers in this England side, but they need him scoring consistently to allow the others to go for it, otherwise they'll keep being bowled out for sub 300 scores, even if they are scored in under 40 overs.

Comment

Says the arrogant India-hater...

Comment

Well, well

229 for 7

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                    Well, well

229 for 7
                                    Since improved upon.

Comment

You'd think NZ should chase that down. England need early wickets.

Comment

Not many Hong Kong internationals play at the World Cup. NZ have picked one today, Mark Chapman. (Cue tasteless Lennon jokes ...)

After a generation (or two) of assuming England will stuff things up, I've finally accepted, years late, that they are in fact very, very good. The expectations have changed so much that a total that once would have been a relief is now disappointing (for them).

Both captains said they would have inserted so we'll see how big a factor the dew and night conditions are.
                                        Last edited by tee rex; 05-10-2023, 12:42.

Comment

Curran denied by "umpire's call". Lip-reading suggests Root not impressed.

Good contest, this.

Comment

Not sure I agree, I think NZ are walking this now. They've played really well, and England didn't build on their early successes.

Comment

Black Caps padding their net run rate

Comment

This is a cakewalk. England's bowling bereft of ideas.

Comment

Hard to fathom how one-sided this is. You'd think a chase like this would have been assisted by dropped catches, batters getting lucky - but no. Barely a hint of a chance.

Next time England bat first how will they approach it? They'll surely be adjusting now.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X