Netball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netball

Anybody else keeping an eye on the Netball World Cup in RSA? It’s one of the few sports Mrs Slacks will happily watch, and I can enjoy it too when it’s not one-sided.

The expected semi-finals line up of Aus, Jamaica, NZ and England are tomorrow, and the remaining lower place order playoffs (including Wales v Scotland for 9th/10th) conclude. Some of the final matches on the BBC iplayer, I think.

England beat Oz by a point in their final group game, whilst Jamaica won by 11 v NZ, and should push Aus hard in the semis.

The final is in its final quarter, and based on the score (46-36 to Australia) a repeat of England’s pool win is highly unlikely.

Comment

Yes, it's a really good watch on TV but I only watch the bigger games. Saw most of the England semi-final against new Zealand on Saturday morning. A great win and I was going to watch the final. However, I only found out last night that the final was on Sunday and England had already lost. What a ridiculous turnaround in a world cup. From semi-final to final is just over a day.

Comment

The schedule for the competition did seem remarkably condensed. The final 4 all played 8 games in 10 days. But I suppose the rolling substitutions and (probably) playing the squad fillers more against the weaker teams made it do-able for the top sides.

Sounds like the Aussies had a harder semi v Jamaica than final v England, but now they have both the Commonwealth and World titles back in the trophy cabinet, after being pipped for both previous events.

As it happens, I only ended up watching a bit of one of the weekend games live: the all important thumping of Scotland by Wales to decide the crucial 9th/10th place.

Comment

That will be the typical length of the competition, I suspect. Otherwise it is too long for the amateur teams (which is most of them) to attend.

Comment

Yeah, I'm one of the big Netball advocates on here but found this World Cup frustratingly hard to keep up with, doubly so as it's Wales first ever.
            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 08-08-2023, 18:04.

Comment

The concern for New Zealand is not that the defending champions lost (that was widely expected) but that it was barely noticed. Netball has long been *the* women's sport in NZ, but the football has crowded it out. Of course hosting is only a one-off, but still.

Comment

Working...
              X