Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFL 2023 - The groundhog said, "It Hurts, but Allen need is to Burrow for Mahomes."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mean I get this is exciting and tense but don't these people realise it's nearly half past 3?

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
      I keep seeing the halftime show described as “star studded”. I didn’t know any of those stars. Uber Eats was better. But I am also not the target market for either thing.
      Usher, Lil Jon, Alicia Keys (I think), and Ludacris

The trend in Super Bowl ads is to get a lot of people who are way too famous to be in an Ad. Like Glenn Close or Jennifer Anniston.

I liked the Christopher Walken one. It was for BMW, but really it was for Christopher Walken.

Comment

That could have been the game, Jim! Huge play, Jim!

Tony Romo has to remind us of Jim Nantz’s name every few sentences.

Comment

Chris Jones wrecked that play, Jim.

Comment

Has there ever been a double OT game in NFL history?

Comment

Yes. Six of them. I don’t know how I forgot all of those.
              • Six National Football League playoff games have gone into double overtime, the longest being an AFC divisional playoff game on December 25, 1971. The Miami Dolphins defeated the Kansas City Chiefs 27–24 at 7:40 into double overtime (at 82:40 of total play, the longest game in NFL history). Garo Yepremian kicked a walk-off field goal to win it. The length of the game, coupled with the fact that it was played on Christmas Day, led to a great deal of controversy and the league placed an 18-year moratorium on Christmas games.[34] The most recent 2OT NFL game came in an AFC divisional playoff game on 12 January 2013, with the Baltimore Ravens beating the Denver Broncos 38–35 on a field goal at 1:42 of double overtime. Justin Tucker kicked a walk-off field goal to win it.

Comment

This is for the World Championship, Jim!

Comment

I assume as second possession in OT you always go for it on fourth down. But do you not kick the FG when you’re 3 behind, because the benefits of the winning TD are greater and the risk of the other team just needing their FG is too high?

Comment

Arse

Comment

Suck it, Niners.

Suck it forever.

Comment

Excellent win for Taylor and loss for MAGA.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                          I assume as second possession in OT you always go for it on fourth down. But do you not kick the FG when you’re 3 behind, because the benefits of the winning TD are greater and the risk of the other team just needing their FG is too high?
                          Not always. It depends on the distance to go and the distance of the kick.

In this game, it would have been a long kick, as I recall.

The odds of the Chiefs getting the fourth and 1 were much higher than hoping to get the field goal and then stop the Niners from getting one.

Comment

For any Chefs fan suffering under Al Davis to tie their SuperBowñ rekkid on da Raydiz home court….

Comment

My $5 bet on KC so I was compensated for all the explaining to Ms Dglh paid off

Comment

In my limited experience, Vegas kinda sucks. Too hot. Too crowded. Too cheesy. Too expensive. Constant noise.

Comment

When it comes to Vega$, I get it
                                  https://youtu.be/r8UBoJsuUz8?si=-tRA1x0HeaH5TXeK

Usher was beyond awesome. Not Prince of course, but a solid 4**** Super Bowl halftime.

Comment

Well I enjoyed that, and more than I expected.

Some of my prejudices have to be reviewed now. I thought they stopped the clock at any opportunity, but watching KC have to get themselves organised and get a move on in the last 2 minutes while time ticked away ... that was nerve-wracking.

Have there been any goal-kicking competitions between the different codes? There should be. If you can do 50 plus yards in Vegas, try Johannesburg.

Comment

Originally posted by jason voorhees View Post
                                      When it comes to Vega$, I get it
                                      https://youtu.be/r8UBoJsuUz8?si=-tRA1x0HeaH5TXeK

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                        Well I enjoyed that, and more than I expected.

Some of my prejudices have to be reviewed now. I thought they stopped the clock at any opportunity, but watching KC have to get themselves organised and get a move on in the last 2 minutes while time ticked away ... that was nerve-wracking.

Have there been any goal-kicking competitions between the different codes? There should be. If you can do 50 plus yards in Vegas, try Johannesburg.
                                        The clock stops on an incomplete pass, out of bounds (usually), penalty, score, and two-minute warning. And a time out, of course, including officials’ time outs for injuries, etc.

In college, it used to stop temporarily for a first down, but that rule changed this year.
                                        Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 12-02-2024, 04:15.

Comment

Just looking back - that was a remarkable game by the chiefs. They actually out-coached the SF magic crew.

SF ran their big play to go up 10 at the half. Andy Reid had a good handful (Mahomes run, the winner pass) to get the game.

That was a coaching team win.

Comment

I've never seen an actual competition, but it is generally thought to be easier to kick a rugby ball farther, as its somewhat more rounded shape creates a larger sweet spot.

That said, the kicks were absolutely booming this evening.

Comment

It’s easier to kick from the tee than a holder, especially if the defense is trying to block it.

Comment

I suppose the drop goal would be the rugby equivalent to being charged down in NFL.

Rugby penalties and conversions might be less pressured, but they sometimes have to be kicked from a very nasty angle.

Comment

Was it Moody's fault that his kick was blocked? The commentators seemed to suggest he hit the ball with his ankle rather than his foot, but it looked good to me. Also, in the special team defending the kick, there is usually a guy who sits behind the pack, like a safety, waving his arms around to put the kicker off, that can't be his main responsibility, can it? What is he supposed to do? I'm guessing act as a safety for a fake FG attempt?

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                                  Just looking back - that was a remarkable game by the chiefs. They actually out-coached the SF magic crew.

SF ran their big play to go up 10 at the half. Andy Reid had a good handful (Mahomes run, the winner pass) to get the game.

That was a coaching team win.
                                                  Like most people, I really enjoyed last night's game. especially the first half, which was a low scoring defensive tour de force with magical touchdown play. Once Kelce calmed down and started playing in the 2nd half, there was an inevitability the Chiefs would win, but it was never certain. When they did win, the commentators gave the credit to Andy Reid, "that's an Andy Reid play!" I think this is where my recently gained knowledge of the sport falls short, to me, Mahones threw the ball to an available receiver. In the replay, the commentators detailed why it was an Andy Reid play due to the movement before the snap. To me, it still looked like Mahones threw the ball to an available receiver. I think I will never understand this level of detail in the game. But a while ago I thought I would never appreciate good defence.

I felt the difference between the 2 teams was the trust in their QB. Purdey played much better than I expected he would, but when the pressure was on, SF put their faith in McCaffrey rather than Purdey and I got the impression McCaffrey was worn out by the 3rd quarter. They keep saying McCaffrey tires out the opposition defence, but the amount of running he was doing was insane, surely he got tired way before the Chiefs' defence?

Comment

I think Moody would tell you that the trajectory of that kick was not what he wanted.

For a point after touchdown, distance is not at all issue for a NFL kicker, so they privilege a steep angle to eliminate any chance of a block.

You are right about the "safety". He also will yell at the line of the kicking team is lines up in an unexpected manner.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X