Strewth - it's the 2022 AFL thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strewth - it's the 2022 AFL thread!

Generally, my personal neutrality only ends whenever a Kerryman joins any particular club, so no dog in the race this season, but it should be an engaging tussle until September's Grand Final. Last year, Melbourne won their first title since 1964, continuing the reversion to Victorian dominance over the last decade, but Sydney and Brisbane also promise to be live contenders. A number of Irish players have hopes of glory in next week's Women's Grand Final, but firstly Orla O'Dwyer's Brisbane Lions must overcome Melbourne, while Aishling Considine's Adelaide Crows start as warm favourites against Fremantle.

If you had bet on Hawthorn and Carlton being 2-0 while both Adelaide teams were 0-2, you could have made some money. The Crows finally won one, but were playing Port.

Melbourne have continued where they left off.

Comment

As an Adelaide Crows fan, I didn't know the result of the Showdown against Port until I watched the highlights..

No "but were playing Port" about it!

Comment

Sure miss Melbourne Arab. It was one of my favorite times on otf, having a fan with great writing skills who just happened to be at every game of the St. Kilda glory years.

Carlton Blues here. No, has nothing to do with them being the champions in 1981 and 82 when the AFL was on ESPN all the time.

Comment

Check out the YouTube highlights of their game with Hawthorn

Comment

Essendon Bombers here - an old school friend went to Australia in the summer of 2000 and brought back AFL 99 on the PlayStation, I borrowed it off him for a couple of weeks and played it to death. Essendon were my favourite team on it, and I didn't know they were on to win the AFL that year.

Not followed AFL for such a long time though, but may start looking back at it this season.

On looking them up this season, I can see they've started 0 and 3.

Always back a winner I do.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              Check out the YouTube highlights of their game with Hawthorn
              Thank you.

Thank you very much.

Comment

Haven't paid close attention the past few years. Has the GWS and Gold Coast expansion been a success, or enough of one? Are they still thinking of Tasmania?

Comment

Originally posted by jason voorhees View Post
                  Sure miss Melbourne Arab. It was one of my favorite times on otf, having a fan with great writing skills who just happened to be at every game of the St. Kilda glory years.

Carlton Blues here. No, has nothing to do with them being the champions in 1981 and 82 when the AFL was on ESPN all the time.
                  St Kilda had glory years? 1966 and all that.

GWS should probably have won a flag 3 or 4 seasons back. Gold Coast have struggled horribly.

A vote is due soon an 19th club to be based in Tasmania.

This is a good site JV https://www.afl.com.au/

Comment

I too have drifted away from the sport in recent years but prefer it to either of the Rugbys. Not a Swans or GWS fan despite being a Sydneysider; probably Essendon here too for two reasons:

* They were winning when I first watched the game;
                    * If you get a cab from Tullamarine Airport into Melbourne it's the first suburb. It actually has its own mini airport. Opposite Sexy Land.

Tassie would be good I reckon, as would Darwin.

Comment

One of my students pre pandemic when I used to come to Brisbane once or twice a year is the sister of the Brisbane Lions women's AFL team CEO, and she (the student, not her sister) had a really infectious enthusiasm, so my team is the Lions AFLW (or is it WAFL?). They've just lost in the semi finals (after winning the whole thing last year)
                      ​​​​​

Comment

AFLW, officially AFL Women's, which I find a bit unwieldy

See also their logo

Comment

I'm watching a random game on BT Sport. Carlton hammering Adelaide Crows at the moment.

AFL is easily the best sport to watch as a neutral. The action never stops.

Comment

Crows either lose big or win by a point, no middle ground.

Comment

Working...
                            X