No announcement yet.

NFL 2022 - Indianapolis .500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy for Long Beach Poly Jackrabbit Juju Smith Schuster.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
      I get so annoyed by successful teams saying how no one respected them or gave them a chance to win. Travis Kelce saying he did that to prove all of their doubters and the people that said they had no hope. So stupid.
      That’s become a standard trope now.

The Chiefs were actually favored by ESPN’s pregame analytic percentometer.

The NHL, for all its poor leadership, would at least know to tell the refs not to call something like that.

The Chiefs probably would have won anyway, but it’s dumb.

Comment

I get so annoyed by successful teams saying how no one respected them or gave them a chance to win. Travis Kelce saying he did that to prove all of their doubters and the people that said they had no hope. So stupid.
        Totally.

And is he auditioning for WWE SmackDown?

Comment

WWE has had a big influence on how kids think real athletes are supposed to talk.

Comment

Just watched the highlights. That call at the end was fucking ridiculous. Ruined the ending of what was otherwise a good contest

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
              Just watched the highlights. That call at the end was fucking ridiculous. Ruined the ending of what was otherwise a good contest
              Deinitely. Although I was struggling to keep awake at that point, even I could see that the cornerback (or was it the safety) had done little more than place his hand on the receiver's waist, which did nothing to interrupt the progress he was failing to make for the catch. Ultimately the Chiefs won because they didn't really make any erorrs of note/significance, whereas the Eagles were partially the agents of their own misfortune with the soft punt that was returned to within 5/10 yards of the endzone and led to a TD, and the fumble that lresulted in the first half recovery TD. A great game though.

I loved the Eagles' 'rugby scrum' formation on short yardage plays - although not that similar, it brought back memories of how the '85 Bears would bring William 'Fridge' Perry into their attack when there was a similarly brief distance to the endzone. It probably happened on fewer occasions than my memory suggests at a remove of nearly four decades, but it was always great fun.

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post

That's the most irritating aspect, the pass was awful. Even with zero contact, he wasn't getting to it. There was no hold from what I could see. If I were an Eagles fan, I'd be furious.

​​​​
                Trust me.

They are.

Comment

Replays showed that Bradberry made light contact with Smith-Schuster, but it didn’t appear to affect the play. Still, the cornerback said he wasn’t upset at officials for the call.

“It was a holding. I tugged his jersey,” Bradberry said. “I was hoping they would let it slide.”

Comment

As Bradberry's comment intimates, the question of whether the pass is "catchable" and/or whether the receiver would have reached it in the absence of the foul are not elements of the penalty of Defensive Holding (as they are for the more serious penalty of Pass Interference).

Comment

I'd never heard of Bradberry before last night. If his reaction really is what Sporting reported, I approve of him. That's a very mature and civilised reaction, rather than the babyish whining we so often hear from sports pros who commit offences and pretend that nothing happened and the refs are the guilty party.

Comment

Here's the clip

L https://twitter.com/tim_mcmanus/status/1625001701471326208?s=61&t=PSiWTSZlZiq9qaG7qCZrIg

Comment

It seemed a very ticky-tack call, but I could also imagine that being called in a week 4 game. I don't know how comfortable I am with the refs seeing something then going "ah, it's almost the end of the Super Bowl--I'm going to let that one go"

Comment

The case for Mahomes already being one of the greatest QBs ever:
                            https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/2...ong-nfl-greats

Mahomes is now 2-1 in the Super Bowl and has made five consecutive AFC championship games. That’s the same number of conference title games Peyton Manning reached in his entire career. Mahomes has two Super Bowl rings at 27. John Elway didn’t get his first until he was 37, after losing three Super Bowls in his 20s. Mahomes has two Super Bowl wins in five seasons. Dan Marino (zero), Brett Favre (one), Aaron Rodgers (one), and Drew Brees (one) combined to win three Super Bowls in more than 70 seasons. If Mahomes never played another football game, he would likely be a first-ballot Hall of Famer. Yet that might not even go far enough to quantify what Mahomes has already achieved.

Let’s assume the Mount Rushmore of NFL quarterbacks is Tom Brady, Joe Montana, and—because I can hear my grandmother scolding me if I leave him off this list—Johnny Unitas. Who deserves the fourth spot? Mahomes now absolutely belongs in the conversation.

He’s the second-youngest quarterback to ever win multiple Super Bowls, after Brady. In the regular season, Mahomes already has the best record through his first 80 starts in NFL history (64-16). Mahomes has already won 11 playoff games, which ties him for the eighth most of all time with Troy Aikman, Roger Staubach, and Rodgers. If Mahomes gets three more postseason wins, he’ll trail only Brady and Montana as the greatest playoff QBs of all time.

If we’re talking about individual honors, Mahomes is in elite company. He’s just the third NFL player to win multiple MVP awards by age 27, joining Brett Favre and Jim Brown. He is the sixth player ever to win multiple Super Bowl MVP awards. The only people to accomplish both of those things—winning multiple Super Bowl MVP awards and multiple MVP awards for the regular season—are Brady, Montana, and Mahomes. And Brady and Montana didn’t win a regular-season MVP award until they were in their 30s.

If we’re talking about statistical dominance, Mahomes certainly fits the bill for inclusion among the GOATs. Among every quarterback in NFL history through their first 80 regular-season starts, Mahomes has the most touchdown passes, the most passing yards, and the highest average net yards per attempt (which is a fancy way of saying yards per pass attempt accounting for touchdowns, sacks, and interceptions). He is the first player in NFL history to lead the league in passing yards and win the Super Bowl in the same season.

Comment

It seemed a very ticky-tack call, but I could also imagine that being called in a week 4 game. I don't know how comfortable I am with the refs seeing something then going "ah, it's almost the end of the Super Bowl--I'm going to let that one go"
                              I'm comfortable with it because they let it go all the time. That's just the problem with holding in general, it's called so inconsistently.
                              If it were something they actually try to call consistently, it would make more sense, but it wasn't.

I don't think that's really why the Eagles lost. Even if they had a minute and a time-out to go down the field, that would be very hard to do. It would have been way more exciting, but unlikely.

The lost because their defensive scheming was poor. I would fire their DC, really. They made no apparent adjustments at half time. They made zero stops in the second half. Zero.
                              They didn't get any sacks. They didn't get any turnovers. They left dudes wide open frequently. They had no plan.

Also, as much as I wanted to see Miles Sanders do well, that play where he dropped it and the Chiefs appeared to score should have been called a catch and a fumble. He caught it and started going downfield and the DB just timed it perfectly.

But there was another potentially big catch the was taken away from the Eagles.

Really, this whole complete shitshow about what is or isn't a catch is getting out of control. It's as bad as goalie interference in hockey. It's not consistent and nobody seems to have a clear idea what it's trying to accomplish.

Also, why do they expect the ref, who is naturally going to be biased toward upholding the call, to figure it out looking at a screen the size of an iPad surrounded by deafening noise? I have a better view of it at home and my TV isn't even all that big.

Again, the people who decide how sports will be officiated don't seem to have a fucking clue what the people who ultimately pay their salaries want the game to be.

Comment

The case for Mahomes already being one of the greatest QBs ever:
                                https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/2...ong-nfl-greats
                                I reject using team accomplishments to compare the "greatness" of an individual player, even quarterbacks, not least of all because I reject "greatness" as something we should be spending so much time talking about but also because it's a team game and a lot of things outside the QB's control have to go right for them to win a Super Bowl.

But based on the statistics, he's been the most effective QB in the league overall over the past few years, although the margin between him and the next few guys on that list is not huge.
                                And he has played very well in the playoffs/Super Bowl, so there's certainly nothing more that could be asked of him.

Comment

Well, he's going into the Hall of Fame, even if he never played again, win two Superbowls, one on one leg, that's straight in.

Eagles defence came up short defending the lead, and the offence couldn't keep going either.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                                    Well, he's going into the Hall of Fame, even if he never played again, win two Superbowls, one on one leg, that's straight in.

Eagles defence came up short defending the lead, and the offence couldn't keep going either.
                                    Definitely a hall of famer, insofar as that matters.
                                    He's in, not only because he was the best QB over a few seasons and won two Super Bowls, but for him to end his career now would mean that he either died tragically or had some horrifying injury. So either way, he and his family would have a lot of sympathy.

And he seems like a decent sort and not likely to do anything to alienate people like, for example, run a dog-fighting ring or murder two people in cold blood, to name two examples at random.

Comment

What about bedding half the female population of New York and completely embarrassing himself in drunken sex pest fashion on national television?

Or being Brett Farve?

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                                        What about bedding half the female population of New York and completely embarrassing himself in drunken sex pest fashion on national television?

Or being Brett Farve?
                                        I don't think those would keep anyone out of the HOF.

Comment

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...their-approval

Comment

https://twitter.com/sickoscommittee/status/1631088581623046145?s=61&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Comment

I am shocked! SHOCKED!!!

Comment

Don't Stop Believin'

https://twitter.com/NFLonFOX/status/1633149507654369281?s=20

Comment

Working...
                                                X