I want to upgrade a road bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to upgrade a road bike

My Cinelli Proxima, c1999, has come back to me after many years in a pal's use and ownership.
    I did a couple of shortish rides on it and now can't believe I did the coast-to-coast on it...
    Therefore I wish to get some lower gears by going compact or triple.
    Have had 2 lengthy conversations in my LBS, but I am in constant fear of my own technical knowledge limitations so would love some advice here.
    At the moment it has 9 speed Campagnolo Mirage with a 52/39 at the front and 12/23 at the back.

Can easily source a brand new Veloce 9 speed cassette for the back, but struggling for 9 speed Campag either new or 2nd hand frontwards.
    Does anyone know what general compatibility issues I face either combining 9 with 10 speed or seeking to bodge together pre and post 2000 Campagnolo components..?

The shop told me Miche would do a compatible compact, which obviously has the purists clutching their heads...

Comment

I'm afraid that this is way above my paygrade. Hopefully someone else will know more, but I think your best bet is to trust the LBS, ignore purity nonsense, put a long hanger on, a much bigger rear cassette, and get a whole load of much, much easier gears. I mean, 9 choices between 12 and 23 is almost every single possible number of teeth. Do you really need that fine-tuning on your gears?

From my limited understanding, putting a 10 speed on a 9 is tricky.

Hopefully someone else can be more useful.
      Last edited by San Bernardhinault; 27-01-2022, 17:12.

Comment

Thanks, SB. In the meantime I've got 2 vintage campag ebay chainsets to bid on, nether expensive, so not too much risk if they are worn away/out. And there is a Record 9 speed chain still in production, which I hope isn't only meant for track or something

Comment

I can't help but I love the way you make it sound like a homing pigeon.

Comment

Ha! Here's what one looks like so hope you can see why I wanted to keep it. Mine has silver components, black front forks and black bar tape. And I have a smaller frame due to inherited inside leg measurements.

Comment

Edit: Hang on, this isn't the right thread...
              Last edited by Mumpo; 31-01-2022, 17:11.

Comment

Working...
              X