No announcement yet.

A World Cup Year! Rugby League 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I can't say I'm hugely tempted by a midwinter trip. Maybe if they play a Welsh side in a cup in the summer (if that's possible) I may attend my first ever League game.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
      Yes, I can't say I'm hugely tempted by a midwinter trip. Maybe if they play a Welsh side in a cup in the summer (if that's possible) I may attend my first ever League game.
      I'm sure I was told it was a summer sport, and yet.

Comment

Really sad to hear about the passing of Des Drummond, a real old favourite of mine. Had all the pace, awareness and athleticism that a great winger needs but really didn’t mind coming inside and mixing it physically with the forwards either. Tough as old boots. Great player. RIP.

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk...drummond-died/

Comment

Terrible shame, no age at all. He played for Workington towards the end of his career when they had their brief spell of success, and finished at Barrow (when he was nearly 40). His success on Superstars did a lot for the sport's profile.

Comment

Anyone going to Plough Lane for the first Broncos game tomz?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
              Anyone going to Plough Lane for the first Broncos game tomz?
              As a Widnes fan I wish I could be there.

Haven’t Broncos gone from fully pro to semi pro now?
              Last edited by Tony C; 29-01-2022, 19:17.

Comment

Yes they went part time and still are, as far as I know.

The Broncos game isn't even the most interesting RL match in London this weekend - that was this afternoon when the semi pro London Skolars beat the amateur London Chargers in the Challenge Cup, the latter putting up a decent showing, going down 40-22.

The Navy beat the Army 14-10 in a game that wouldn't have been possible back in the day.

Comment

They announced in September that:

Following what has been a very disappointing season for the Club and its supporters in 2021 which has seen the Broncos fall way behind the pace set by other teams in the Betfred Championship, including several Part Time sides, it has been decided that in 2022 we will adjust our squad to that of a Part Time team as part of an overhaul of the First Team Squad.

Comment

Really sad news about Des Drummond.

Comment

Only 63, he's the first RL player I really remember before all of the Wigan players and Mike Gregory. Really sad news.

Comment

Impressive 34-12 win for Widnes in the season opener at London Vikings. There have been a lot of changes with the Widnes squad during the off season with the board (for the first time in a while) backing the coach as best they can within pretty tight budget constraints. Despite some very low moments last season - and cries for change from many fans - head coach Simon Finnegan kept his job and this is now unconditionally his squad. He’s made a great start.

Comment

Tough start for the West Cumbrian teams in the Championship, Town losing at home to Newcastle (who could do well this season) and Whitehaven shipping 50 to Leigh.

​​​​​​In the Cup Swinton put 96 on (West Wales) Raiders, which isn't a great look for the sport when amateur teams are putting up much better fights than that.

York play Featherstone in the first of Premier Sports' Monday Night Rugby League fixtures tomorrow.

Comment

By adding three good signings this week to an already strong squad Featherstone are set to be the division’s top dogs this season. Good luck to them, too, as only the unusual strength of Toronto and Toulouse have kept them out of SL the last two years.

I could see Newcastle showing up well also,

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                              .... when amateur teams are putting up much better fights than that
                              ...and not only did Lock Lane put up a fight, they put Oldham out, 22-12

Comment

Super League is back and Channel 4 start their coverage tomorrow.

I am off to Workington v Featherstone on Sunday.

Comment

Channel 4 picked a winner for their first game - cracking game, close contest, plenty of incident and big finish.

I liked the opening shot of the coverage, with the camera panning from the cricket ground across the hospitality suite to show the "football" ground, making the connection between Channel 4 last being at Headingley for the Ashes and it starting a new era of Super League coverage.

It's obviously Adam Hill's dream job and he was maybe a bit too excited at the start but then hard to knock the enthusiasm. Leon Pryce dropped a, erm, bollock at half time by saying "they'll be getting a bollocking in there, I mean a rollicking", and Hill had to apologise, although it's hard to imagine TV screens being kicked through across the nation in outrage. Pryce looked downbeat afterwards at his mistake.

There was some useful exposition for new viewers in the pre-match but would have maybe helped to have some on-screen explainers during the match itself, as most of the casual viewers wouldn't have sat through the pre-match.

Still, while I never worried that they'd make a mess of it, it was an encouraging start and I see from Twitter that they have been plugging next week's game during the Chelsea match tonight, which is good to hear. Good to see Helen Skelton from Round These Parts involved too, presenting a match (briefly) involving her husband of course.

Comment

Potential double post but anyway...

Workington 10-26 Featherstone

Bleak times on the Costa Del Solway, proper mud bath of a pitch and the usual horizontal rain at Derwent Park. Town were better value than the scoreline suggests, but that's three losses out of three now and it could be a slog for them this year. Fev clearly the better side though, and will do well again this year.

Last edited by Walt Flanagans Dog; 13-02-2022, 17:28.

Comment

Meanwhile back to yesterday's game, Channel 4 report an average audience of 531,000 and a peak of 750,000 in the close stages of the game.

Comment

Good stuff. It was a fun game (I only caught the last 20 minutes, but Mrs and Miss Etienne watched it).

Comment

I thought that it was today, so I missed it. Still wouldn't've been able to watch as my wife was watching the curling...

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                            I thought that it was today, so I missed it. Still wouldn't've been able to watch as my wife was watching the curling...
                                            You only have one telly? And no pc / laptop / tablet / phone?

Comment

Or indeed Channel 4 +1

Comment

I was finishing watching the excellent triple-Oscar nominated Flee as The Mighty Trin kicked off the new season at home to Hull. Six-all at half-time and I phoned my Dad and a mate who were there. Feedback was that Jacob Miller created very little and we missed Mason Lino badly. The start of the second half killed us, but we had 15 minutes at the end after Connor got sent off to score 10 points and failed. Frustrating, but not a disaster. Over 6,000 there as Hull always bring plenty. An away trip to the big lads of Catalans is next...
                                                Last edited by The Mighty Trin; 13-02-2022, 21:41.

Comment

Some tight games in the Championship today and none more so than Widnes Vikings’ 9-8 win at Halifax. The winning drop goal came over twenty minutes from the end with Widnes holding on until full time - needing the kind of tough defensive effort they could not have produced last season.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

You only have one telly? And no pc / laptop / tablet / phone?
                                                    I will not resort to watching telly on a computer. Unless I'm at work.

And I didn't know about it until I was at Vale Farm for the Wembley game, so that was irrelevant...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X