SK Warne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SK Warne

On April 27, last year, a friend and I were watching Surrey v Hampshire in the Championship at the Oval. Glorious weather, good food, a stack of newspapers, and a reasonably competitive game of cricket: hard to beat. It was improved on only by the fact that we were also watching the world's greatest bowler in action - while in the Caribbean, later that same day, the ICC's farce of a World Cup was due to come to an end. It was the first time I'd watched Warne and been able to simply enjoy his bowling, as a non-partisan. He took a couple of wickets, I seem to remember, but from his demeanour, it could have been all ten. In terms of commitment, it was indistinguishable from an Ashes match. The same shuffle, hop and bounce into the crease. The same chin in hand, hand on hip pose. The same ruthless, brilliant bowling.

Always, previously, I had seem him bowling against England, and it had always been terrifying. Always, I waited for an unplayable delivery; if not quite a Gatting ball, then something near enough like it. Only the greatest bowlers have the ability to cow a crowd, yet Warne managed this almost every time he walked back to his mark, whatever the game situation; certainly, he always cowed me. I have seen a lot of awfully fine bowlers - Ambrose, McGrath, Muralitharan - all capable of destroying a batting lineup, but none had Warne's ability to destroy batsman mentally as well. Rarely did the striker look so hopelessly alone and outnumbered as when this shortish, rather round, surfer-haired Aussie stood some twenty-odd yards away from them, eyeing them up, before bouncing in to bowl. Rarely did I feel so certain that, whatever they did, they didn't have much of a chance.

I have never seen a bowler so thoroughly enjoy batsman trying to attack him, to egg them on, toss the ball higher and higher, till eventually they are undone by some outrageous loop and turn, or a quicker ball fired in at their toes. And I have never seen a bowler capable of turning matches so swiftly - so ludicrously - as Warne. For me, these are his two most outstanding characteristics. When Amrbose was hit, he got mad, and he got even, usually by levelling the batsman or his stumps. When McGrath got hit, he just plugged away, same line, same length, and waited. When Murali gets hit, he throws the fielders back to the boundary and tightens up his bowling. Warne grinned, took on the challenge, and almost always won.

A brilliant bowler, an entertaining batsman, and also a talented captain, his own flaws denying him the chance to do what he must have most craved: captain Australia's Test team. Warne's failings are well documented: the drugs test, the fitness issues, the lifestyle, yet none of this diminishes him as a cricketer. He is rather, greater for it. His flaws affirm his humanity, which in turn highlights the terrible extent of his infernal-seeming abilities.

While I normally pepper my cricketing comment with statistics, I shall refrain in this instance. Numbers, no matter how compelling, cannot truly capture the brilliance of this man, or his impact on the game. Warne has a place as one of the founders of modern test cricket: he is almost single-handedly responsible for what resurgence in spin bowling that has taken place over the past decade or so. His wicket-taking abilities in a four-man attack were also critical to the reinvention of test cricket brought about by the Australian team under the Taylor and Waugh captancies. He is, I think, the greatest bowler to ever have played cricket: the only person capable of even beginning to approach Bradman in terms of his dominance of the game. And now he has retired from first-class cricket. Player-coach of Jaipur in the IPL is how how Warne will end his cricketing day, and it is a tragedy.

A tragedy because I wanted to see him play for Hampshire again this year. I wanted a last glimpse of the greatest cricketer I have ever seen. I wanted to see him have one last charge at the Championship, to lead Hampshire to the title, to prove to the ACB what could have been. A selfish desire, I know, and I cannot reasonably hold his decision against him. He has given more to cricket than anyone has a right to demand; a contribution that I feel privileged to have witnessed even some small part of.

SK Warne

Great post, Rasky.

Warne ending his career at Jaipur is as wrong as Willie Mays ending his with the New York Mets.

Comment

SK Warne

While agreeing that he's one of the all-time greats (top five?), it's hardly a tragedy for a professional sportsman pushing 40 (and more interested in poker anyway) to finish in front of a decent, if easily distracted crowd in Jaipur. As opposed to freezing his nuts off against Ireland reserves in Southampton.

Comment

SK Warne

What exactly are his 'poker commitments in America' anyway? Is he doing the Winston Bogarde thing?

Comment

SK Warne

"One of cricket's most prominent players will be taking his game face to a new arena. Shane Warne, from Hampshire Cricket, has signed with 888.com to play poker for the online gambling company.

Warne will serve as 888's Australian poker team captain, a role he should be used to after captaining the cricket club in Hampshire from 2004 to 2007. He is expected to play for 888, which operates Pacific Poker, at the following events:

World Series of Poker
          U.K. Poker Open
          Poker Nations Cup
          Aussie Millions"

Comment

SK Warne

Warne's someone I feel privileged to have been able to see.

When I first got into cricket in the late 70s and early 80s, the game was great, but the conventional wisdom was that pace would soon sweep all other styles of bowling away like an avalanche. Various things have contributed to that not happening: the sad, sad eclipse of the West Indies, the development of better helmets and padding, the renaissance of medium-pace bowling through reverse swing.

But Warne has contributed more than any other individual to cricket's remaining a game where guile counts for as much as physicality. He virtually rescued wrist-spin bowling from oblivion on his own. Long, long after his retirement, cricket fans all over the world will owe him a huge debt for that.

Comment

SK Warne

The last conversation I ever had with my grandad, who introduced me to cricket as a nipper, was about Warne, after I popped in to see him on the way back from the Trent Bridge 97 Ashes Test (I'd taken his ticket cos he was too poorly). For that and many much less sentimental reasons Warne's one of the sportsmen I feel most honoured to have seen live. Only Zidane and Viv Richards run him close. Sure, he's probably an arse as a bloke, and his graceless over-appealing was often a pain, but people that driven, and with that much guile and ability, always have something interesting about them.

In some respects, he's a bit of a Maradona/Gazza figure: less damaged than them - being a less globally massive game, cricket doesn't have the capacity to damage people the way football does - but someone whose personal weaknesses as well as strengths drew him to the game, and enabled him to give so much to it.

One of the most important and interesting figures in any sport in the past 30 years, no doubt.

Comment

SK Warne

being a less globally massive game, cricket doesn't have the capacity to damage people the way football does

The structure of cricket (living out of cars and hotels, away fixtures based around three month tours from the age of steam, archaic employment contracts and the rest) is recognised as potentially damaging for many, is it not? I don't know the illness and suicide stats, but anecdotally there are plenty of examples- Bluey Bairstow, Graham Kersey etc.

Comment

SK Warne

The suicide rate amongst (white) retired ex-professional cricketers is extraordinary.

Comment

SK Warne

Thorpe, Trescothick and Tait as well.

Comment

SK Warne

Fair points all, but not to play those problems and tragedies down, what I was trying to drive at was that cricket having a smaller global celebrity profile is less likely to cause those very particular type of media-spotlighted fuck-ups that have befallen the likes of Gazza, Maradona and Best.

It's debilitating in other ways, granted.

Comment

SK Warne

I think the media spotlight on, say, Tendulkar more than bears comparison to anything experienced by Gascoigne et al.

Comment

SK Warne

Just to note that Warne's Rajasthan Royals are the first team to qualify for the IPL semi-finals, a genuinely impressive achievement given their status as the league's "cheapest franchise" and one largely bereft of household names other than SK Warne (they have no "icon player" and spent less in the draft than any other team).

Comment

SK Warne

I thought Graham Kersey had died in a car accident.

Comment

SK Warne

Tubby is right, my apologies.

Have I simply imagined the Kent or Surrey player who killed himself in the 1990s?

Comment

SK Warne

I think you must be thinking of Danny Kelleher, DG.

There's a book by David Frith on the subject of cricket and suicide: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51AVMS1R5FL._SS500_.jpg

As for SK Warne, he's dropping hints about coming back for the 2009 Ashes.

Comment

SK Warne

And should he do so (which I doubt), he will arrive as captain of the IPL champion Rajasthan Royals, who won the title on the last ball of a rather dramatic match against Chennai last night. The "Next coach of India = Shane Warne" signs in the crowd at Mumbai pretty much say it all about the man's contribution to the league's least expensive team.

Comment

SK Warne

I don't suppose they'd mind having Shane Watson and Sohail Tanvir either.

Comment

SK Warne

Stuart McGill has annouced his retirement after the Aussies' tour of West Indies. So their leading spinner is now Beau Casson.

Comment

Working...
                                      X