Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When lawyers play sports

This kind of thing happens.

The R&A has actually had to issue this update, in its ever-popular "Decisions on the Rules of Golf" :

"14–2:

Meaning of “Elements”
    Q. What are considered “elements” under Rule 14–2a (In making a stroke, a player must not accept physical assistance or protection from the elements)?
    A. "Elements" include sunlight, rain, wind, snow and other weather conditions."

What argument, about what situation, in what clubhouse, led to this having to be reconsidered and clarified by the sport's governing body?

When lawyers play sports

I knew this was going to either about golf or rugby, which seem to be be more about navigating extraordinarily prescriptive rules, which are undetectable to the outsider, than any discernible sport.

I can't even believe that golf has even 14 rules. surely you need one to cover the clubs, one to cover when you lose the ball. one to cover sneaky cheating, and basically the rest is just hitting a ball into a hole.

Comment

When lawyers play sports

The original rules of golf used to be able to written on a single page. You used to see old versions of them in posters in clubhouse bars.

One for example was always "the goffer (sic) shall play the ball from where it lies".

A bit like Moses's original commandments, though, there are now over 600 pages describing what these "original" rules mean. I think as many people have been employed refining the rules in the last 150 years as have made a living out of actually playing the damned game.

Comment

When lawyers play sports

The Mighty Kubelgog!!! wrote:
        I knew this was going to either about golf or rugby

Yes, because football is in no way susceptible to this kind of nonsense.

Comment

When lawyers play sports

Ha ha ha.

Mind you, he's a rugby fan, of course, your man.

Comment

When lawyers play sports

Last year, I had to move to a new place where now I am living. It was very far and where I had no TV to watch and no film to see and no library to read. I had nothing else to do. Life then to me was like a desert.
            wow power leveling
            However, to my great surprise, I found a web bar, which was very far from the place I lived. I entered the bar that day. It was from then on that I began to immerse(使陷入)myself into Internet.
            wow gold
            When I first came into the bar, I didn’t know how to access the Internet. With the help of others, I opened a homepage(主页), finding it was full of colorful and rich contents. How interesting it was!Clicking the mouse, I set up my own e-mail address under the guidance. I read sports news, entertainment news and all kinds of much other information.
            I was becoming happier and happier. On holidays I sent e-cards to my friends to express my greetings. I also bought several books through e-business and ordered free e-magazines, which were of much help to my study.
            wedding dress
            Hearing that finding a job on Internet is very efficient, I am ready to have a try.
            wedding dress
            I was and am being benefited from the Internet, which makes me realize that the quality of life is as important as life itself. With the company of the Internet, I will never feel idle(闲着的) any more
            wedding dress
            Someday in the future we may not need to have money in our pockets. Is life easier when people don’t need to carry any coins or currency at all? Is money heavy to carry? Is it safe to carry money? Maybe in the future each of us will have only one small plastic credit card. We will use it to buy all the things we now buy with money. We will not need money to pay for things.
            wedding dress
            Of course we may still have some of the same problems with cards that we now have with money. Sometimes we lose money. Maybe we will lose the card. People steal money. Maybe someone will take the card. Someone may even make a card that looks like our card. Since we can’t buy anything without our card, the credit card may be no better than currency. 
            Is there something even easier to use than credit cards? All of us have a thumbprint. No two thumbprints are the same. Maybe someday the government will keep people’s thumbprints with a number. No person will have the same thumbprint or number. When we want to buy something we will put our thumbs on a machine or computer. Each store or business will be in the computers. It will be very difficult to lose our thumbprint. It will be very difficult for someone to steal it or make one like that.

Comment

Working...
            X