• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NFL09-Bucco Bruce,Ron Mexico,and Minnesota Bretts

He's Back.

And They're Back.

I saw that earlier today JV and it made my fucking day. I'm very excited for this season to get started. So much has happened in the off-season- I can't see a clear favorite out of either conference.

East
    Dallas and Giants lose their main offensive weapons, Eagles lose their defensive mastermind and the Skins always suck.
    I'll say Eagles- but that's a hometown pick.

North
    Farve gives the Vikes some blue balls, Urlacher calls his new franchise QB a pussy, Green Bay are probably due for a good season and Lions are still the Lions.
    I'll say GB.

South
    Carolina never seem to put it all together, the Saints are old and have no D, Atlanta are my pick to come out of this conference, the the Bucs just won my heart with those uniforms.
    Hotlanta baby.

West
    The Cardinals aren't that good and the other three are utter shit.
    Cardinals sleepwalk to the playoffs.

I don't really care for the AFC, I've always viewed it as the inferior conference. So I wont bother- but I will say one thing- I hope that cocksucker in Denver falls flat on his ass and gets fired before week 5. I've never seen anyone destroy a quality team so quickly and be so arrogant about it (other than Al Davis of course).

Oh, and most importantly.. My little 6yo is playing midget football (60 lb) this year- practice starts next week. When I see him put the pads on and make a hit- I think I might shed a tear.. one of us will I'm sure.

Comment

Best of luck to him. I hope his coach is better than this one unmentionable cunt who was coaching a youth team I saw. One of his players (about 10-11) collapsed running, and was laying there for about 5 minutes. I was running my girls practice, keeping an eye on his player heaving and about to die, then finally walked up to him and tried to get his attention.

I said "coach." nothing.

"Coach !" nothing.

"COAAAACCHHH !!!" and he screamed "WHAT ?!!!" with a cuntrag toughguy voice. I said "your player was laying there for 5 minutes. You better hope he's not dead." He walked, then ran with his Zubaz pantaloons on.

That said, there was a coach for a youth team at Hamilton West. He had all of his players around him before practice, and said "after you got dressed for school this morning, then got your uniform on...I hope the last thing you put on was a bit of NASTY ." His players loved it and ate it up. I would hope your son gets the second coach.

NFC
      East
      Giants 11-5
      Eagles 8-8
      Cowbozos 6-10
      Skins 5-11

Central -
      Bears 10-6
      Pack 9-7
      Vikes 8-8
      Lions 1-15

South
      Saints 12-4
      Falcons 11-5
      Panthers 7-9
      Bucs 6-10

West
      Cards 9-7
      Niners 8-8
      Seahawks 7-9
      Rams 6-10

AFC

East
      Patriots 15-1
      Dolphins 11-5
      Bills 9-7
      Jets 8-8

North
      Ravens 11-5
      Browns 10-6
      Steelers 7-9
      Bengals 4-12

South
      Texans 12-4
      Jags 11-5
      Colts 8-8
      Titans 4-12

West
      Chargers 12-4
      Raiders 10-6
      Chiefs 8-8
      Broncos 3-13

Comment

You know you've been watching a sport too long when the "throwback" uniforms being trotted out are the ones you regard as "normal" (Bucs, 49ers, Dolphins et al)

I hope that cocksucker in Denver falls flat on his ass and gets fired before week 5.

Josh McDaniels? Oh hell yeah, obnoxious little bastard that he is. As luck would have it, there's a lot of very good teams on the Broncos' schedule this year (NYG, Pats, Steelers, Ravens, Colts, Eagles, Chargers x2) so some severe asskickings would appear to be coming Denver's way in 2009.

Comment

For those who have shelled out $800,000 for a suite at the Jerrydome, a cheese pizza will cost them $90, and a 12-pack $66. Recession, what recession?

Comment

The AFC hasn't been the inferior conference for about 10 years.

Indeed, I'd say that the only franchises whose leadership collectively really knows what the hell they're doing are the Ravens, Steelers, Patriots, Colts, Titans, Giants, Eagles, and maybe, as of last year, the Falcons and the Dolphins. Maybe the Chargers too.

A lot more going right in the AFC these days.

I'm already tired of this season because around here we hear non-stop about the Redskins and it's already abundantly clear to me that this is going to be another mediocre Dan Snyder production. It's just a terrible organization. I don't really have a team. My childhood team was the Bengals, but they're such an embarassment. I like the Steelers because of their coach and their ownership, but I'm not formally a Pittsburgh person, so that doesn't really count.

Anyway, my predictions are almost identical to JVs.

NFC
            East
            Giants 11-5
            Eagles 8-8
            Cowboys 6-10
            Skins 5-11

Central
            Pack 10-6
            Bears 9-7
            Vikes 8-8
            Lions 5-11

South
            Falcons 11-5
            Panthers 10-6
            Saints 10-6
            Bucs 6-10

West
            Cards 9-7
            Niners 8-8
            Seahawks 7-9
            Rams 6-10

AFC

East
            Patriots 13-3
            Dolphins 10-6
            Bills 8-8
            Jets 7-9

North
            Ravens 11-5
            Steelers 10-6
            Bengals 8-8
            Browns 6-10

South
            Titans 12-4
            Colts 10-6
            Texans 9-7
            Jags 8-8

West
            Chargers 11-5
            Chiefs 8-8
            Raiders 4-12
            Broncos 3-13

Comment

I have no idea about the schedule, but here are my guesses:

NFC
              East
              Giants 12-4
              Cowboys 9-7
              Eagles 7-9
              Skins 6-10

Central
              Packers 10-6
              Bears 9-7
              Viings 8-8
              Lions 3-13

South
              Falcons 12-4
              Saints 10-6
              Panthers 9-7
              Bucs 5-11

West
              Cards 10-6
              Niners 8-8
              Seahawks 6-10
              Rams 3-13

AFC

East
              Patriots 12-4
              Dolphins 10-6
              Jets 8-8
              Bills 7-9

North
              Ravens 11-5
              Steelers 10-6
              Browns 8-8
              Bengals 4-12

South
              Titans 12-4
              Colts 10-6
              Texans 8-8
              Jags 7-9

West
              Chargers 10-6
              Chiefs 8-8
              Raiders 6-10
              Broncos 2-14

Comment

God, I hate that Bucs' 'tangerine' outfit. Always did. They will be scraping along the bottom of the league again inside three years (and possibly three months) just due to its demoralising effects.

Mind you, I think (my team) the Jets' one is almost as bad. I was always hoping (20 years ao, this is) they might have a total image change and go for a 'military hardware'-style colour scheme a la the Bucs' pewter & red one, but no such luck.

Comment

I like the Jets look. I'm fond of green and white and there aren't many teams in American sports that wear green.

Comment

I'm always amused by the early start to Redskins hope in the DC area. The level of self-deception and mass delusion is incredible.

At least in Texas when the Cowboys sucked, everybody knew ahead of time and was fairly upfront about it "yeah, we're just hoping to make the playoffs". Here everybody really seems to think that "this year could be ours".

No, it really can't.

Comment

What's even more interesting is that the delusion and the reality sometimes come from the same people on TV or radio. But there are a lot of die-hard fans that just can't bring themselves to see the awful truth.

Sports Talk 980 belongs to Daniel Snyder now, but some of those guys, like Doc Walker, occasionally speak the truth when they get sufficiently frustrated. Now 106.7 is going to an all sports format and boasts that it's more independent. Lavar Arrington has been on their speaking honestly about what he thinks of the organization and the Junkies are pretty pesimistic.

I honestly think I could run the Skins much better than Danny and Vinny. It wouldn't be that hard. I'd just look at the teams that do consistently well and make smart decisions - Steelers, Ravens, Patriots, Giants - and hire away as many scouts and assistant GMs from them that I could. I'd focus on the draft and not free agency and focus money on the offensive and defensive lines. The nastiest safeties in the world aren't going to do much if nobody can stop the run or rush the quarterback.

I wouldn't try to trade Jason Campbell, a nice guy with ok but not spectacular numbers, for Jay Cutler, a douchebag with nice but not spectacular numbers. I'd hire a real NFL coach.

Santana Moss is their #1 receiver? Really? Clinton Portis, who never practices, is supposed to be the work horse RB? Really? And yet somehow people want to blame Jason Campbell.

Comment

The Eagles signed Vick. I cannot even begin to process this, except to say that I feel terrible for McNabb (I can already hear the Vick chants after McNabb's first incompletion) and am not looking forward to the circus being in town again.

On the plus side, the wishbone with McNabb, Vick and Westbrook/DeSean Jackson could be interesting.

Comment

I was going to say the same thing. The idiots within the Philly fanbase will be calling for Vick within the next few hours and will only get louder. However, Philly management is good at ignoring the fans.

Comment

I have in me, somewhere, a long post discussing Philly fans' treatment of Mike Schmidt and McNabb (each of which were the most important players on the best teams in each team's modern history, and each of which were treated terribly by the most vocal of the fan base), but I can't put it together now. Suffice it to say, that I cannot really comprehend the insanity of the way McNabb is treated (it reminds of the lunatic feedback loop currently greeting the health care debate).

The addition of Vick, combined with the crazy amount of injuries the team has faced so far this preseason (most of their o-line, their starting MLB, both backup TEs, their nickle CB, etc.) makes me think this season is going to be a 2005-like circus (enjoy, JV!).

The only potential saving grace for McNabb, is that there will be another segment of the fan base that despises Vick for his crimes, and may give McNabb more support than normal.

Comment

I can't believe that!

I hope that half the fucking team walks out.

Either that, or some quite militant dog-lover (from the O- or D-line) kicks the shit out of him before they've even had the first practice snap.

Christ! This devalues the whole NFL in one fell swoop for me.

Comment

Odds on Baha Men being played at every Eagles road game as they enter the field for warmups?

Comment

E-A-G-L-E-S-DOGKILLERS !!!

Comment

They should use Vick as a RB, and Westbrook spread out wide as a RB/WR. Or, as Gyuri suggests, run the wishbone.

Oh yeah, and he's a dogkiller and all that.

Comment

Vick just isn't all that good, is he? Nobody seems to have noticed.

I mean, he makes some exciting plays, but his completion percentage was never anything to write home about, especially in his last season. He had potential, but as they say, potential get coaches fired. I just can't imagine that after two years away and two years older that he's going to be all that great.

I wanted to like the Eagles this year 'cause the new D-coordinator is a W&M guy. But now I don't feel good about it.

Comment

Reed,

Vick was never a fantastic passer (didn't seem to make decisions all that well), but he was an absolute force in the running game, both with his own skill and what he opened up for the Atlanta's HBs.

There's a very good article on Football Outsiders about the Eagles' former d-coordinator (Jim Johnson) who passed away this summer, and the first part discusses how the Eagles stopped the Falcons offense in the '04 NFC Championship Game (the best sports experience I ever witnessed live). That part of the article does a good job, I think, explaining how tough to defend Vick made the Falcons' running game.

Comment

The Eagles already have a pretty good running game.

Comment

Pretty good, but not great and pretty terrible in short yardage (although their finally having an actual FB will help also).

By the way, the psychological element of this with Andy Reid is, I think, interesting. His press conference last night, when he discussed what had happened with his sons (both arrested for drugs and other things over the past two years), and how that has affected his thoughts about Vick and second chances were surprising, and as un-Andy Reid-like as anything I can remember in 10 years of him talking to the media.

Comment

I can see a lot of value in goal-line and short yardage situations.

But there's a reason so many great dual-threat and/or triple-option and/or wishbone college quarterbacks never do anything in the NFL.

Comment

Those QBs don't ever do much in the NFL, but that's mainly because teams are usually looking for full-time QBs and those guys can't pass at all. In this case, the Eagles (barring injury to McNabb, and maybe even then) won't need Vick to be a full-time QB, just a situational player who may not always line up at the QB spot. Plus, he's being paid like a situational player and not a starting QB.

Also, it's probably worth mentioning that while Vick is not a great passing QB, he's not exactly Tommy Frazier, either.

My hope would be that the Eagles view Vick as another guy who is dangerous with the football in his hands and that they'll find ways to make him valuable. The Eagles offensive coaches and Reid have been very good at this historically.

Comment

Also, it's probably worth mentioning that while Vick is not a great passing QB, he's not exactly Tommy Frazier, either.
                                                  Oh sure. Otherwise, he never would have been drafted by the Falcons.

I agree with your assessment of how he'll fit in as a role-player. Sort of a rich-man's Antwoine Randel-El, if you will, but more fullback than wide receiver.

Also, it didn't occur to me before last night, but even with his less than awesome numbers, he still might be a better back-up for the Eagles than who they've got. AJ Feely and who, exactly? I don't know.

The funny thing is that in the run up to the announcement, the Eagles were not among the names being tossed around in the press as possible destinations for Vick. I heard Miami, Baltimore, Green Bay and Pittsburgh. Everyone seemeed to be fixated on teams that might want to use him in the wildcat, but nobody seemed to be thinking much about the simpler issue of "who really needs a back-up quarterback?"

Comment

Working...
                                                  X