Boogie Wonderland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boogie Wonderland

We have been told today that Mrs. House Cat is in remission. So. to celebrate, I've blagged tickets to see Earth, Wind and Fire. And we will probably go dancing this weekend.

Anyway, thank you all for all your kind thoughts.

Kathy and Les.

Boogie Wonderland

Excellent, excellent news! Dance till dawn the pair of you.

Comment

Boogie Wonderland

Great news.

I hope it's the real EWF, not the tribute act going by the same name that possibly included the original tambourine player which performed in South Africa a few years ago.

Comment

Boogie Wonderland

Best wishes and enjoy yourselves shamelessly.

Comment

Boogie Wonderland

"Dance! Dance! Dance! (Yowser! Yowser! Yowser!)"

...as a great band once said.

Congratulations, AHC ...on everything!

Comment

Boogie Wonderland

As this board's resident bad punster, it is incumbent upon me to note that you'll have good reasons to be there (on a Saturday nite, or is that just a fantasy? Either way, let's groove). Your devotion is a shining star, a sparkle that shall be ever wonderful. You* just can't hide love. Yeow!

* which is another songtitle

Comment

Boogie Wonderland

Thank you all. Yes G-Man. It is the real EW&F. Chicago are the support but you can't have everything. Nice line in EW&F puns. Nice to know I get to keep my shining star.

Comment

Boogie Wonderland

s'all Kool and the Gang ...

Comment

Boogie Wonderland

Mrs. House Cat and I did go dancing last weekend. We went to a club where the house band played Motown, Philly and Stax and DJ played Motown, Philly and Stax. We met a nice couple and , after a few drinks, debated who was the better singer - Eddie Levert, Teddy Pendergrass or Levi Stubbs ( the ladies held with Lou Rawls).

Who do you think is better?

Comment

Boogie Wonderland

Levi Stubbs seems the odd man out of that group. The others lean toward the smooth and silky — where, surely, Smokey and David Ruffin rule. But Levi's voice is much coarser-grained, not quite into Otis/Wilson Pickett territory but getting there.

Comment

Boogie Wonderland

Hmm. See your point. Not quite sure I agree. Lou Rawls, yes but Teddy?

Comment

Boogie Wonderland

Better explain how this came about. The DJ played 'Wake Up Everybody', 'Bernadette' and 'Livin' For The Weekend' back to back. Three great leads we must all agree. So the debate was about the better of those three. Pointless, no doubt, but fun.

There are so many great leads, Jimmy Neaumont, Smokey, Ruffin, Johnny Maestro, McPhatter, to name a few. We just talked about those three.

Comment

Boogie Wonderland

Ah, OK. Lou Rawls is kind of the odd man out in that case. No?

Comment

Boogie Wonderland

Yeah and that was the ladies call and ladies are always more likely to go with Lou Rawls. (Someone is going to shoot me down for saying that. Is Femme Folle syill on here?)

Comment

Boogie Wonderland

Oh Yes (though not as frequently.)

I guess, of the four gentlemen mentioned, Levi's voice has given me more pleasure over the years. That's partly because I was never a huge fan of Philadelphia soul. At the the time it seemed too pale and plastic, my loss I realise, but even now most of the songs don't resonate for me.

that was the ladies call and ladies are always more likely to go with Lou Rawls.

True. Or Al Green.

Comment

Boogie Wonderland

Isaac Hayes. Great voice and incredible interpretative skill.

Comment

Working...
                                X