British India

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British India

I'm listening to Starsailor right now. It's pretty crazy shit, all right.

I can't decide whether I like it or not.

Comment

British India

is that the Daddy was an alcoholic band? Garcia, myself and the boards resident psychiatrist went to see REM at marley park in 2003 and starsailor were the supporting act and they were the among the worst bands we'd ever seen.

Comment

British India

vennegoor strokes wrote:
        I'm listening to Starsailor right now. It's pretty crazy shit, all right.

I can't decide whether I like it or not.
        I was like that for about a year. I bought it when I was 14 or 15, having only heard Tim Buckley's "Goodbye And Hello", and not yet being entirely au fait with weird jazz, and was... startled. It was "I Woke Up" that did it for me, in the end - it was so beautiful that it forced me to listen properly to the other stuff and, eventually, get it.

Assuming it's blazingly bright and disorientingly sunny where you are, today's the right kind of day for "Starsailor", I think.

Comment

British India

Sadly, I was in the office all day today. But we've had an entire unbroken week of blinding sunshine -- very rare in this country -- and if it keeps up until this weekend, I'll try and listen to this in outdoor conditions.

I can hear massive chunks of great shit, though a lot of it sounds excessively dense and strange. But I'll give it more time, to try and draw the rest of it out.

Comment

British India

It took a few second listens for me too, this album, but I always loved 'Song To The Siren' and kind of worked outward from there.

I found the vocal style(s) a little jarring at first. If I remember rightly Buckley's stated aim was to do with his voice what Coltrane did with his sax (with A Love Supreme in mind, presumably, rather than Meditations, or he'd have ended up needing throat surgery) so it might be a good ploy to imagine a sax playing the vocal lines whenever they sound too mental/get on your tits.

Comment

British India

Rang a mate today and mentioned "The Drone's" to him asking did he have any of their "stuff". He didnt but he has got stuff by the late 70's Manchester Punk Drones and a 60's American psychedelic gagageband Drones.
              Says he's looking into em.

Comment

Working...
              X