The Ex-Girlfriend Acquired Record Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something imp posted on his Aztec Camera thread prompted me to start this one. Back in the 80's I started dating a girl who lived in Shepherds Bush (she lived in a Tower block of flats right near the shopping mall). Anyway - the cool thing about her was the she had a car. Which meant we (I) could stay out late and know I was going to get home.... After a couple of dates, she was comfortable enough to let me play my casette Tapes in her car stereo. And one fateful evening, I had with me the original Bow Wow Wow C30, C60, C90 and other cas-singles, in original flip top boxes - all of a few days old. We had gone to see some band in Camden and got in a row at the gig (she decided to get 'friendly' with an ex-boyfriend when I was getting the drinks in) and I left early - and of course left the tapes in her car. I called her the next day and asked if I could come round and get the tapes. She put her brother on the phone and he told me in no uncertain terms that if I was spotted in Shepherds Bush I was dead meat as I had upset his sister big time. So I never got those tapes back.

I also had a girlfriend who 'ended up'/stole a whole load of Teardrops, Bunnymen and other singles, all on Zoo and all original releases. Lucky for me, as I spent a lot of my free time at Record & Tape Exchange in Notting Hill and she flogged them there. I was able to buy them all back, as I could identify them as I had my initials on the single covers (Something I got in the habit of doing when sharing a flat with 5 lads)....of course they cost me a mark-up, given their rarity...

My brother has(had) a load of singles of mine from the early 70's but he claims to have put them away, he knows not where. My wife tells me that it would just be more crap she would have to throw out when I kop it. I am hoping that in about 8 years time, when my dauighter is a teenager, I can convince her to convince her mum that my missing T.Rex singles are a downpayment on her college tuition bill....

For reasons not even related to ex-partners, I simply don't know what happened to all my vinyl records. I used to have hundreds and hundreds of them. Now I have six. I know a lot got nicked during a garage burglary but as for the rest, I guess they're in the same black hole that contains all the world's bic ballpoint pens (well, all mine). I kept them in a terrible state.

Comment

I'm converting some rare vinyl stuff I have as we speak, and mourn the loss of so many records I'll probably never find again.

At the same time, I raided a friend's vinyl collection which she was given by another friend. I was very delighted to find a 1968 Toots Thielemans LP in that lot.

Comment

Working...
      X