Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No white man with a beer ever made a good record

I've always thought the idea of a 'Very Best Of' album is a bit fanciful. It's the notion that the artiste has sifted through all their great work, leaving even some of the 'best' on the cuting room floor, to offer you only the prime examples of their craft.

Like 'Snooker Loopy' in this case.

Comment

There ain't no pleasing you!

Comment

I have two Chas & Dave related questions:

(1) Is the unusual fact that they (well, the Labi Siffre song they played on) were sampled by Eminem now so widely known and repeated that it's up there with ZZ Top's drummer and the fact that none of the things in that Alanis Morrissette song are actually ironic?

(2) Their song "Rabbit" features the line: "You've got more rabbit than Sainsburys". Was Sainsburys particularly well-known for selling rabbit at the time? Can't say I've ever noticed it in there.

Comment

Regarding point 1, I didn't know that. Or, indeed, which songs by Labi Siffre or Eminem you're referring to.

Comment

It's a tune called "I Got The...", Eminen sampled the intro for "My Name Is".

I'm guessing Chas (or Dave) played the staccato organ riff and Dave (or Chas) played the bassline. Either way both are prominent on the Eminem sample.

The Siffre original's a cracker as well, a string laden 70s soul epic perhaps second only to Gertcha! in the Chas & Dave canon.

Comment

Chas backed Jerry Lee Lewis and played in The Outlaws with Ritchie Blackmore which means he played on the loopy "Crazy Drums"

Comment

"..aand the fact that none of the things in that Alanis Morrissette song are actually ironic?"

Isn't the fact that she wrote a song called Ironic when she clearly has no idea what the word ironic means, somewhat ironic?

Comment

GMan: I'm disappointed in you.

You need to read the Quietus more often.

Comment

They were also in Heads, Hands and Feet with Albert Lee and Chas, I beleive, played banjo on Dave Edmunds 'Leftover Kisses'

Comment

Speaking of 70s soul epics does anyone remember 'Gonna Make You An Offer You Can't Refuse' bu Jimmy Helms. I thought then and still think now that that is a storming good record. It has now become today's earworm.

Comment

I read the thread title and immediately thought of Jim Morrison.

But, yeah I know...

Comment

Chas Hodges was one of Joe Meek's house musicians in the early/mid-'60s.

Comment

Seals and Crofts
                            Bret McKenzie

Darn it--wrong thread. These are beardies.

Comment

Oh yeah, I love the Jimmy Helms song. Great falsetto number.

Comment

You'd love 'I got the...', G-Man.

Slightly less well-known is the fact that the song was also sampled (the beginning bit) by Jay-Z on 'Streets is watching.'

Comment

"I Got The..." is worth checking by anyone. It's just a great song.

Comment

I bet I'd love the Siffre song. Anyone able to care & share.

Comment

Yeah, I'll second that request from G-Man. It's not on Imeem and I can't check YouTube as I've got a video stream of Boca's Copa Libertadores match running at the moment...

Comment

I think this is it:

Direct download link

Comment

Working...
                                        X