Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lady sounds like a Dude

Okay, it had to be done...

The first time I heard Nina Simone, I didn't know anything about her. I think it was "Sinnerman," and I thought it was a man singing.

I shocked someone I worked with when I told them that Q Lazzarus ("Goodbye Horses," the song in Silence of the Lambs that Buffalo Bill dances to) was a woman.

Lady sounds like a Dude

Later Marianne Faithful ... a bit.

Comment

Lady sounds like a Dude

Horse. A dead ringer for Freddie Mercury.

Comment

Lady sounds like a Dude

I remember a letter printed in Rolling Stone around the time that "Don't Fall in Love with a Dreamer," a duet with Kenny Rogers and Kim Carnes, was out: "I like that new song by Kenny Rogers and Rod Stewart."

Comment

Lady sounds like a Dude

There are those of us old enough to remember the rumors that Kathy Kirby was really a man in drag.

Comment

Lady sounds like a Dude

I never heard that! It would've played havoc with my fifteen-year-old bedtime fantasies.

Comment

Lady sounds like a Dude

To reverse the title for years i thought laughter in the rain was sung by a female before finding out it was Neil Sedaka.

Comment

Lady sounds like a Dude

George, this thread is a reply to the 'Dude sounds like a Lady' one.

Which I have just discovered myself after posting there the thing about someone at my salsa class thinking Celia Cruz (!) sounded like a man.

Comment

Lady sounds like a Dude

The first time I heard Max Sedgley's remix of Sarah Vaughan's Peter Gunn was as background music in an Old Navy store. I thought it was a guy.

Comment

Lady sounds like a Dude

Incandenza wrote:

I shocked someone I worked with when I told them that Q Lazzarus ("Goodbye Horses," the song in Silence of the Lambs that Buffalo Bill dances to) was a woman.
                    Crikey, really? And is the 'tucking the dick between the legs' thing a reference to that?

Comment

Lady sounds like a Dude

Aimée Mann
                      Stacey Earle
                      Tracy Chap-Man

Comment

Lady sounds like a Dude

Yes Amor. It was something of a nine day wonder. One of the Sunday Smuts brought it up (possibly literally) and it made the rounds of TV and papers, even a snide mention on Juke Box Jury. I don't think it was true although it would have given greater poignancy to 'Secret Love'.

Comment

Lady sounds like a Dude

Poor KK. The only similar rumour I remember from back then concerned Capucine.

Comment

Lady sounds like a Dude

Agreed. Poor KK. I hadn't heard the Capucine one. Seems unlikely. There might be a thread here - Riculous Rumors in Rock'n'Roll.

Comment

Working...
                            X