Good Knight Duke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Knight Duke

This has nil-thread written all over it, but Duke D'Mond, frontman of The Barron Knights, is no longer with us. After a 46-year career.

I may be the only person on OTF who still has Barron Knights records, but I was very fond of them in my youth, before I got into music proper. I also remember going to a mate's house, who'd also been a fan, and putting on an LP, to find we still knew all the words 20 years later. Cue an extended drunken singalong to the horror of his posh girlfriend.

A Barron Knights Top 4

A Taste of Aggro
    Get Down Shep
    Boozy Nights
    Heaving on a Jet Plane

Good Knight Duke

I usually tell people that the first LP I ever bought was Kings of the Wild Frontier by Adam and the Ants. But really, it was The Barron Knights' Greatest Hits.

Comment

Good Knight Duke

Weren't they from Luton? My dad goes on about seeing some of their early gigs in the local clubs. Hardly The Beatles in The Cavern, but there you go... I guess you take what thrills come your way in Luton.

Comment

Good Knight Duke

The Barron Knights had a big bloke called Butch in the group, too.

Proper 60's,70's Saturday night 'Seaside Special' kind of act. All harmless fun and a genre I have a terrible sentimental attachment to.

RIP.

Comment

Good Knight Duke

I've been playing "A Taste Of Aggro" and "Never Mind The Presents" quite a lot recently. Well, OK, not a lot. But a couple of times. Shame, this.

I don't listen to "Another Brick In The Wall" very often - never, in fact - but when I do occasionally hear it, I still hear the opening line as "Christmas turkey, you can stuff it..."

Comment

Good Knight Duke

The Barron Knights were from Stevenage. I know this because in about 1987 About Anglia did a piece which used them as a benchmark for comparison in a piece about the latest Stevenage hit parade sensation, Fields of the Nephilim.

Comment

Good Knight Duke

No they were from somewhere in Beds, Dunstable or Leighton Buzzard I think. Unsurprisingly they played Stevenage a fair bit though, I think I saw them a couple of times at the Mecca. I didn't realise their chart career lasted so long. It's Call up the Groups and Boots and Blisters I remember. I suppose because of those numbers they seemed chronically of date to me, even in 1965.

Comment

Good Knight Duke

Reading the threat title, I thought the final Top had spun itself out.

Comment

Good Knight Duke

The Barron Knights are most likely to be remembered as they were the respondents in an important legal authority when their drummer sued them after being sacked when due to illness he was no longer able to fulfill live dates.

Comment

Good Knight Duke

I remember them doing a hysterically funny mash up of Keith Harris and Orville and Buffallo Girls. Saw them live, many years ago, at some hideous working mens club in the home counties. They put on a good show. RIP.

Comment

Working...
                    X