Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One fewer brick in the wall of sound

Estelle Bennett of The Ronettes, R.I.P.

She apparently fell out with kid sister Ronnie and cousin Nedra, and refused to perform with them when The Ronettes were inaugurated into the Rock'N'Roll Hall Of Fame, saying only "I would just like to say, thank you very much for giving us this award. I'm Estelle of the Ronettes, thank you."

This is that moment. Ronnie doesn't look very happy.

Here they are in happier times, Estelle on the right, with the world's biggest hair:

Gratuitous "Be My Baby" clip, with Ronnie clearly singing live (and doing an awesome job of it)

RIP. That's a great clip.

(though looking again, I don't think it is live - the synching is way off, in both directions if so...)

Comment

Presumably the title of my 'Gone-ette' thread was in too bad taste?

Comment

Sorry, evilC, I didn't see it...

Comment

A sad article about Estelle:

After the Ronettes broke up, in 1966, and Ronnie married Mr. Spector, in 1968, Estelle was lost, Ms. Talley Ross said. She made several failed attempts at a solo career, and when Ronnie Spector, who divorced Mr. Spector in 1974, formed a new version of the Ronettes in the early ’70s it did not include either of her former band mates. (Ms. Spector did not respond to messages left for her.)

Meanwhile, Ms. Bennett was gradually becoming more ill. When she brought her infant daughter to visit, Ms. Talley Ross said, she slept straight through the baby’s crying. Not long after, Ms. Bennett was hospitalized with anorexia, and her grip on reality continued to loosen. In recent years, Ms. Hunter said, she sometimes wandered the streets of New York, telling people that she would be singing with the Ronettes in a jazz club.

“Estelle had such an extraordinary life,” Ms. Talley Ross said. “To have the fame, and all that she had at an early age, and for it all to come to an end abruptly. Not everybody can let that go and then go on with life.”

In 1988 the Ronettes sued Mr. Spector for back royalties, and the suit dragged on for 14 years. Part of the case was dismissed, but the three women won the right to some royalties, and according to Jonathan Greenfield, Ms. Spector’s husband, they received “in excess of $1 million.” After lawyers’ fees, Ms. Hunter said, each woman took home about $100,000. Ms. Talley Ross said the figure was a little higher.

During the litigation Ms. Love was called as a witness, and one day at court she saw Estelle.

“She didn’t remember me,” Ms. Love said. “They cleaned her up and made her look as well as possible. She wore white gloves. She looked the best she could for somebody who lived on the street. It broke my heart.”

Comment

This year is already starting to make me reflect on mortality. I used to dance (sort of) to 'Be My Baby' at Welbeck Junior and Infants Schhol.

RIP.

Comment

Working...
            X