Calling fans of music released prior to 1984

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me and the boy Turner are DJing at the Lex tonight (near Kings X) from about 10.30 until 4am and our brief: nothing from after 1984. It's upstairs at the venue that used to be called Clockwork.

So expect:

JaMC, Colourbox, The Smiths, Metallica, Black Sabbath, PiL, Wire, James Chance, ESG, Killing Joke, Suicide, PTV, Can, Eno, Talking Heads, The Normal, Sabbath, Stooges, Ultravox!, Tubeway Army, Birthday Party, Bunnymen, The The, Violent Femmes, Soft Cell, Gang of Four, Slits, Magazine, Kraftwerk, Devo, Paul McCartney, Adam and the Ants, Japan, AC/DC, Queen, ZZ Top, Fela Kuti, Motorhead, This Heat, Dead Kennedys, Sisters, Siouxsie, Gary Numan, VU, The Fall, Butthole Surfers, Birthday Party, Neu!, Neubauten, Damned, Bowie, T Rex, James Brown, 13th Floor Elevators, Associates, Babe Ruth, Aphrodite's Child

It's on Pentonville Road, near the end of Chapel Market.

You're barely scratching the surface.

But, sounds pretty good.

Comment

Well, yeah, obviously. But I'm cutting it in a kind of synth pop/post punk/goth/mutant disco/petrol powered rock kind of way. Even that's probably too loose a brief.

I've got a feeling that the organizers might be after something a bit more student friendly but, y'know, fuck 'em.

Comment

I'm glad I'm making this weekend my first visit to the Mucky Pup, then! :-)

But no OMD, Carcass? That's remarkable self-restraint! Go on - play 'ABC Auto-Industry' - you know you want to!

Comment

Oh bugger! Confused! I thought this was referring to the Olde Peculiar / Quietus Caper tomorrow, but it's not! Rats!

As you were!

Comment

Where's Joy Division, New Order, The Human League, Simple Minds and The Teardrop Explodes, to name but 5 glaring omissions off the top of my head.

Comment

Also, Bob Dylan and Mozart are conspicuous by their absence. Poor.

Comment

Says grumpy Dad.

This is a nightclub where young people will be going to dance after a rock concert. I'm sure they don't want me to be calming them down with a stern lecture on comparative brilliance in Western music followed by the 9th and Lay Lady Lay.

Although we are ending with a medly of tunes from prior to WWII.

My brief was too wide, I've narrowed it down. The trouble with going totally eclectic with DJing is that the clash and contrast starts making everything sound shit after a while. The genres I've chose all overlap and fit in together.

Mr Shit: Just so you don't upset yourself further, here are the songs I'm playing:

Warsaw 'Leaders Of Men'
                Joy Division 'Isolation'
                New Order 'Thieves Like Us'
                New Order 'Everything's Gone Green'
                Human League 'Being Boiled'
                Simple Minds 'I Travel'
                Simple Minds 'Theme For Great Cities'

Good call on Teardrop Explodes, I will source some now.

Clive, we'll play some of this stuff at the Olde Pec as well.

Comment

The Horse wrote:
                  Also, Bob Dylan and Mozart are conspicuous by their absence. Poor.
                  Not to mention any Thomas Edison recordings or anything from Harry Smith's Anthology of American Folk Music.

Comment

I've got to hang out with you and Jack in a nightclub some time it sounds like a right good laugh.

Comment

Obviously, this is a joke. I've already been to a night club with Jack and it was, I seem to remember, a good laugh.

But maybe that's partially because there was no Motzart or fucking hill man fiddle aye po cunt music played.

Comment

Actually Incashallah, you might be interested in this album Honest Jon's Sprigs of Time: 78s From The EMI Archive.

Comment

I think the Horse was just taking the piss out of Mr Shit. Er, so to speak.

Comment

Good lord. He was wasn't he?

Sorry Jack. I can't see through the text.

Anyway. Any more suggestions?

Comment

MOtzart? I've had too many cups of tea today.

Comment

'Theme For Great Cities' and The Elevators, in the same night and place? I hope those students appreciate that privilege.

Comment

They didn't really. It was a fairly dispiriting experience that I won't be repeating. Instead of 'interesting music before 1984' they actually meant a wedding disco set circa 1984. Which is not the same thing.

Comment

Carcass wrote:
                                    Actually Incashallah, you might be interested in this album Honest Jon's Sprigs of Time: 78s From The EMI Archive.
                                    Hmm...I don't know. Stuff like that I think I would listen to once, say "well, that was really interesting from a historical perspective," and never listen to again.

I've also never listened to any of the Harry Smith Anthology, and reading Greil Marcus' "Invisible Republic" has put me off it all together because of his writing style (don't know what it was; I loved "Lipstick Traces").

Comment

Oh. I loved that comp. It's amazing how fresh some of it sounds, the Gamelan song sounds like Aphex Twin unplugged even though it's about 100 years old.

Comment

Working...
                                      X