Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bands which - no matter how good - are absolutely nobody's favourite band.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Prester John View Post
    Simple Minds. Even in their mid 80s heyday they usually came in behind U2 as a favourite band.

U2, Simple Minds, Big Country.
    By the time of New Gold Dream Simple Minds were a lot of peoples ideas of a favourite band. Magnificent run of records Empires & Dance Sons & Fascination/Sister Feeligs Call & then NGD

Comment

Originally posted by Prester John View Post
      Simple Minds. Even in their mid 80s heyday they usually came in behind U2 as a favourite band.

U2, Simple Minds, Big Country.
      Then Jerico would surely be the 'pound shop' on that particular high street.

Comment

When I saw them on their Sparkle In The Rain tour, they were definitely in my top 3. That show also stands out as the dullest thing I'd ever seen, before or since.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
          Ugh. Kiss fans must be special special people.
          Indeed. My second-favourite ex-colleague, who, for what it's worth, is probably as young as you, is a big Kiss fan. When she heard that Eric Carr was terminally ill, she was so distraught that her parents took her out for a pizza, even though it wasn't her birthday. This went on for quite a while (although her distraughtness was genuine); Eric Carr's ill, our daughter's distraught, let's go out for a pizza. When he eventually died, her sadness at his demise was outweighed only by her sadness at a future devoid of a weekend without a sit-down pizza salami.

So she said, anyway.

Comment

I've seen KISS three times. And I'd see them again.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
              When I saw them on their Sparkle In The Rain tour, they were definitely in my top 3. That show also stands out as the dullest thing I'd ever seen, before or since.
              Dull is a good word. It would sum up my thoughts on Waterfront first time I heard it. Especially after the joy of NGD.

Comment

The Psychedelic Furs haven't featured either here or on the top three thread. They used to be the fave group of an old pal of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                  When she heard that Eric Carr was terminally ill, she was so distraught that her parents took her out for a pizza, even though it wasn't her birthday.
                  Does it have to be one's birthday to be taken out for pizza?

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                    I've seen KISS three times. And I'd see them again.
                    And you dared to assume the highground on the subject of Steely Dan?

Comment

Keane haven't had a vote on the favourite artists thread. Yet their songs pop up all over the place. They're one of the bands I think of when I think of bands that people who don't like music like.

Badly Drawn Boy
                      Ben Folds (Five)

The Killers don't have a vote on the favourites thread but I can imagine them being a favourite band for someone. I like their stuff but they aren't in my top 3.

Comment

For whatever reason, The Killers seem to pick up a lot of votes on the 'live' ticket - I've never seen them play, so couldn't possibly comment.

Keane are probably the 'previous' preferred band of those who now favour Mumford & Sons. They aren't that stylistically similar but their product seems to find its way into the same homes. (Sweeping, but probably not that inaccurate.)

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                          And you dared to assume the highground on the subject of Steely Dan?
                          Now see here....<he ways weakly>....

Comment

James Dean Bradfield is a big fan of Simple Minds.

I'd put The Killers alongside Fleetwood Mac in that I prefer to hear them on the radio or out and about rather than sitting down intentionally to listen to them.

Comment

The interesting thing about this thread is that there's a difference between liking a band, and identifying the band as a favorite. At one point, Kiss was my favorite band but I was 7 or 8 years old. But I figure that almost every known band is some obsessive's favorite band. I had a friend who only listened to U2. That was it; he was a one band man. So I assume every other band has one fan who just loves that band, like following a single football team and not really caring about other teams.

Comment

Working...
                              X