Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bands which - no matter how good - are absolutely nobody's favourite band.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serge Gainsbourg View Post
    I love The Pretenders, especially Chrissie Hynde. On a personal level, I'd put her up there with Patti Smith.
    Hynde is a supporter of Israel, so fuck her.

Comment

Foo Fighters? Surely most people would prefer Nirvana, and others would have a rockier outfit as their favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
        I once jokingly remarked to an Irish colleague that the Pogues were a British band. Which does have an element of truth, but didn't go down well.
        Yes, there was a thread a few years ago where the issue of Shane MacGowan's Oirish accent came up. Somebody made the point that it's to some extent manufactured and can't be pinned down to any particular place.

I wouldn't have a clue where to find the thread. Can anybody remember it?

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
          Foo Fighters? Surely most people would prefer Nirvana, and others would have a rockier outfit as their favorite.
          Yeah. I mean I like Foo Fighters (although I'd agree with the general sentiment here that their output has got less inspired the more recent it is) but if you can count QOTSA, they're not even the second best band Dave Grohl has been in.

Comment

Five pages in, but the question must be raised: if you're past 16 or you're an obsessive fan, can there be any such thing as a "favourite band" or "favourite singer"? As a default, I'd say that The Beatles are my "favourite Band". But at any given time, I might like Earth, Wind & Fire or Steely Dan or, indeed, Crowded House more than The Beatles. It's like a rotating captaincy. And I suspect that outsider the pre-16-year-olds and the committed fans, my approach is the more typical.

Comment

Good lord. What might a day look like where Steely [fucking] Dan would outrank The Beatles in one's mind?

Comment

Originally posted by Prester John View Post
                Yes, there was a thread a few years ago where the issue of Shane MacGowan's Oirish accent came up. Somebody made the point that it's to some extent manufactured and can't be pinned down to any particular place.

I wouldn't have a clue where to find the thread. Can anybody remember it?
                https://www.onetouchfootball.com/arc...p/t-21390.html

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                  Good lord. What might a day look like where Steely [fucking] Dan would outrank The Beatles in one's mind?
                  A day when nothing else will do but throwing shapes to Showbiz Kids. The Dan are alright man, best sarcastic dyspeptic Jazz influenced beat combo going. It’s not like they’re 10cc or something.

Comment

Yes, that's it. Cheers WOM.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                      Five pages in, but the question must be raised: if you're past 16 or you're an obsessive fan, can there be any such thing as a "favourite band" or "favourite singer"? As a default, I'd say that The Beatles are my "favourite Band". But at any given time, I might like Earth, Wind & Fire or Steely Dan or, indeed, Crowded House more than The Beatles. It's like a rotating captaincy. And I suspect that outsider the pre-16-year-olds and the committed fans, my approach is the more typical.
                      Kinda agree G-Man.

Comment

It's a fair point, but I do have a favourite band and have done since 1979.

Comment

I probably was an obsessive fan of my favourite band (New Order) for a long time. Nowadays I don't listen to them on a loop and can take or leave most of their boldly priced reissues and merchandising initiatives. More importantly I've been going to see them with various friends for 30 years so they are woven into a lot of very fond memories and any renewed burst of activity on their part has the feel of getting the team back together for one last mission. That's what keeps them in the top spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                            It's a fair point, but I do have a favourite band and have done since 1979.
                            You've beat me by two years.

Comment

Originally posted by statto99 View Post
                              You need to see the version performed by Tim Finn with The Wiggles and Captain Feathersword...
                              This.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                                They are my mate's favourite band but he isn't on OTF.

EDIT: Actually, Stereophonics or Muse might be.

Actually, are Sterophonics or Muse anyone's favourite bands on here?

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                  If Wikipedia is correct, Huey Morgan is at least part Puerto Rican.
                                  Yeah, I thought of him as Puerto Rican/Irish and thought one of the other guys was Puerto Rican as well.

Comment

The Dandy Warhols
                                    Lightning Seeds
                                    Sufjan Stevens
                                    Beck

Comment

Unless I missed them there doesn't seem to be any mention of Fleetwood Mac on either this or the top three thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                        Lightning Seeds
                                        I think my older brother would have had them at #1 or close to it before he went goth.

Comment

This.
                                          And to think 'Six Months in a Leaky Boat' was banned by the BBC in 1982 because of sensitivities over the Falklands thingy.

Comment

The Dandy Warhols
                                            Lightning Seeds
                                            Sufjan Stevens
                                            Beck
                                            I'd imagine someone, somewhere worships Beck. However I think his best work is a self-parody segment on an episode of Futurama.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                              Unless I missed them there doesn't seem to be any mention of Fleetwood Mac on either this or the top three thread.
                                              They're in a weird 'third place'; artists who are utterly ubiquitous but too obvious to mention as anyone's favourite. See also John, Elton.

Comment

Kiss.

Comment

Ugh. Kiss fans must be special special people.

Comment

Simple Minds. Even in their mid 80s heyday they usually came in behind U2 as a favourite band.

U2, Simple Minds, Big Country.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X