Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    The Stylistics
    You think you're the only one here who likes The Stylistics? We have a number of '70s soul fans here, and any '70s soul fan who knows their stuff will appreciate at least some of The Stylistics' output.

This is a weird thread. There are very few controversial acts nominated here. Mumford & Sons was a good shout. But let's have some real big OTF unspeakables. Let's have people admit to really, really liking Kid Rock, Barry Manilow, James Blunt, Kajagoogoo, Jennifer Rush, Robson & Jerome, Papa Roach, Jive Bunny, Coldplay, Michael Bolton, Will Smith, Bay City Rollers, Limp Bizkit, MC Hammer, Billy Joel, UB40 (post-1982), The Backstreet Boys, auto-tuned rapper Drake, Wet Wet Wet, Pat Boone, Justin Bieber, Vanilla Ice, Ted Nugent...

Of these, I really, really like Billy Joel (but only up to 1983). I also like Wet Wet Wet, and quite enjoy the occasional Bay City Rollers number. I'll defend Manilow's artistry, though I'd not care to have an album of his music.

Comment

I saw Family at the Buxton music festival in the mid-70s. It rained all day until Family came on and Roger Chapman started singing, "Well I know you've been waiting .." and out popped the sun.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
        You know what? Listen to Chas n' Dave.

Not even kidding.
        Goodness me, Toby Gymshorts has written something about music that I agree with.

Something's happened, I'm just not sure what it is.

Comment

The Mumfords aren't even any good at fake folk - that's the big problem there. (Over here, their product seems to be bought largely by people who aren't really that interested in music.)

Quite a few soft targets on G-Man's list, but anyone on here admitting to liking Kid bloody Rock should be kicked off the forum without any hesitation.

On the other hand, The Stylistics' You Make Me Feel Brand New is a f***ing masterpiece.

Comment

Not Kid Rock, but off G-Man's list, I'd own up to liking Billy Joel's stuff. Mrs Thistle is the bigger fan but we have discussed going to see him live. At Fenway Park.

Will Smith had some decent tunes. Men in Black was ace. I don't own any of his stuff though AFAIK.

I'm not keen on James Blunt's music but I follow him on Twitter as he's very funny responding to insults. So as a result I quite like him as a person even if his music isn't what I'd choose to listen to.

Comment

So how many other OTFers enjoy The Carpenters?

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                They had some good songs.

Comment

They did. But I can't imagine putting on an album's worth.

My enjoyment of ABBA has never waned.

Comment

Oh come on, The Carpenters were rehabilitated as cool by indie kids as far back as the early 90s and are on every music snob's "cheesy pop it's ok to like" list alongside ABBA and Toxic by Britney Spears, they're hardly controversial. I still fucking hate them, mind.

Right, here's another one for G-Man: I think Robbie Williams is alright and has made at least half a dozen really good songs (not ones that you usually hear a lot though, more's the pity.)

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                      Right, here's another one for G-Man: I think Robbie Williams is alright and has made at least half a dozen really good songs (not ones that you usually hear a lot though, more's the pity.)
                      I have some sympathy there. I even like some of the popular ones.

I don't remember ever reading a Kenny Rogers thread on OTF. Nor has his work undergone a reappraisal. I'm a fan anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                        Oh and some more:

Country Music, generally. Specifically Darius Rucker, the Avett Brothers, Ward Thomas, and Dolly.

George Ezra
                        Bastille
                        Midnight Oil (I used to be obsessed with them)
                        I think WOM and I are in an OTF club of 2 with regards to the Tragically Hip - the only band I've ever followed round the country as they toured
                        The various Muppets albums
                        Garbage

I like the Eagles, too, SB.
                        I too used to be obsessed with Midnight Oil.

I love Big Country, one of the best gigs I went to was seeing them in the 90s in Wolverhampton.

Comment

Cathy Dennis. I like 'Too Many Walls' a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                            I'm a big fan. Not of all their stuff -- some of it makes me cringe -- but when they were good, they were superb.

Comment

Will it ever be ok to admitting to having enjoyed a couple of Gary Glitter songs? Because I did, back in the day.

Comment

I used to have a copy of a Coronation Street cast LP (circa late 80's) and Sally's version of true blue was the definitive version.

I have also seen Manowar in concert.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                  Will it ever be ok to admitting to having enjoyed a couple of Gary Glitter songs? Because I did, back in the day.
                                  I think we have done this before but it is the issue with separating the music from the artist. I have issues with, for instance, listening to Pantera as I can't quite separate Phil Anselmo's racism from the songs. However, the quality of them (which is up to you) hasn't diminished at all. I saw Gary Glitter a fair few times live and loved a lot of his music. Up until recently, there was still a couple of his songs on my phone (which migrated over from my I-pod) of his. One thing that jumps out about Glitter's music is how it must have just seemed to spring out of nowhere when it arrived. It is such a weird combination of styles, it must have seemed like ti came out of outer space or something. Of course, having grown up at exactly the right time for it, it seemed normal to me. Indeed, I regarded it, somewhat ironically now, as pre-teen kiddies music for a while until he came back in the 1980s. Anyway, I digress, he is a horrible man obviously.

On a slightly related note, perhaps, does anyone actually like Morrissey? I know that everyone apparently appears to like the Smiths but Morrisey?

Comment

After this week I don't think I'll ever willingly listen to a Nick Cave record again

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                      After this week I don't think I'll ever willingly listen to a Nick Cave record again
                                      Played a lot in Istanbul I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                        On a slightly related note, perhaps, does anyone actually like Morrissey? I know that everyone apparently appears to like the Smiths but Morrisey?
                                        It's all lying to myself, of course, but I've mentally partitioned off Smiths Morrissey (young, naive, partially-formed twat) with solo Morrissey (old, small-minded narcissistic bigot). I can still enjoy the former, but not the latter. Not that I even bother trying, really. If Morrissey had become a member of the 27 Club, he'd have gone down as one of the greats. Now, he's a diminished old hack.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                          If Morrissey had become a member of the 27 Club, he'd have gone down as one of the greats.
                                          He was never going to take the EU's side, much as we might want him to.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                            Played a lot in Istanbul I think.
                                            Yes it wasn't that but like Morrissey he's turned out to be a vile racist motherfucker

Comment

Off G-Man's list I'd raise a tentative hand for Ted Nugent. He's a vile SoB but his stuff with The Amboy Dukes kinda defines garage psychedelia.

BTW How someone doesn't turn into a puddle on hearing Karen Carpenter's voice I'll never understand.
                                              Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 16-12-2018, 17:09.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                That is my litmus test, of a kind. If you support genocide, fuck it how good your music might be. It's not a massive issue with Cave, and even less one with Radiohead. I do love a lot of Pharrell Williams' music but can't hear it without it being spoiled by knowing what evil that guy stands for.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                                  Garbage are great. I’d like to see them live.
                                                  I love Garbage, saw them live some time ago (2002).

I probably have loads of faves that people here are lukewarm on.

Comment

I saw them live the other week. They were really good, and loud.

I always liked Kajagoogoo. So much so, I saw them live. ('They' were tight as a freaking drum, but 'he' was a little drowned out.)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X