23 Buble (Holly Jolly)
    ​​​24 Ronettes
    25 Macca
    26 Wizzard
    27 Kelly n Ariana
    28 Jose Feliciano
    29 the TikTok Wizzard cover
    30 Sia
    31 Laufey (surprisely successful cover of Winter Wonderland)
    32 Leona Lewis
    33 Slade
    34 Bieber
    35 Darlene Love
    36 Nat King Cole
    ​​

Comment

One of my Christmas presents this year is the Now That's What I Call Christmas 4 CD album released in 2022. The fourth CD is "Hits at Christmas" which includes things like Angels, Stay Another Day etc. As a compilation it's pretty good for having originals on rather than random covers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

# 3 Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree - Mel & Kim
        But not the Mel & Kim you might be thinking of...

Comment

I did wonder about adding the surnames, but that was how they were billed on the record.

Comment

I was hoping this would be better. I like Jimmy Eat World, but the song is kind of blah, which might suggest why it does not seemed to have garnered the commercial alternative radio airplay that it would if the version was better.

Comment

Agreed

Comment

Here are two garage punk songs from Billy Childish's crew:

Comment

Comment

Comment

Randy Travis, "Meet Me Under the Mistletoe" for those wanting a little country-flavored Christmas music:

Tammy Wynette, "Blue Christmas"

Comment

Country X-mas music? We got 'em.

Country X-mas 1
                        Country X-mas 2

There are also mixes covering soul, R&B, blues, doo wop, smooth jazz, easy listening, the 1940s, '50s, '60s, '70s and '80s, and obviously pop. And themed mixes. The whole lot is here.

Comment

This specific case may have already been covered but I got mildly annoyed over the festive build up with what seemed like a general decision to brand '2 Become 1' by Spice Girls as a Xmas song purely based on it being a Christmas Number One. Granted this may be primarily a decision Magic Radio have made.

I know there are plenty of other examples discussed upthread of questionably Xmas songs such as 'The Power of Love' or 'Stay Another Day' but they at least have a Xmassy feel and the videos make an effort.

I wouldn't object so much to the Spice Girls inclusion except for the fact that the far superior 'Always On My Mind' by Pet Shop Boys is never afforded the same status despite also reaching Xmas number one. Perhaps people have never forgiven it for keeping 'Fairytale of New York' off the top spot.

Comment

It's been pushed on the Xmas music channels over the last few years. I think it's the general softness of the song along with a wintry video that they've decided makes it Christmassy.

Personally, I think Goodbye was their best Christmas number 1 and that video was set in a house covered in ice.

Comment

Working...
                            X