The Big Gig Thread 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MsD View Post
    I had a chat with Terry Hall late last year and he was perfectly lucid and charming. We have a mutual friend (Siobhan Fahey) so we talked about her and their work together (he sang on her album a few years ago) and he was looking forward to seeing Bananarama.
    Nice name drop, MsD. Especially putting it in brackets.

I remember reading Siobhan Fahey's name in Smash Hits and having no idea how to pronounce it. I thought she was call Seeyob-ann.

Comment

The Irish can't spell...

Comment

And 'Fa-hey' just like "Wa-hey!".

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
          Rammstein finally announce a UK stadium show and it's at Franchise's hole, bugger!
          I know. Still bloody tempted. I’ve only just got my eyebrows back after the last one.

Comment

Not for me, will go to Berlin or maybe Paris depending on what my summer schedule allows. Seeing them in Germany is the best anyway.

Comment

Please can we stop this shit about me “name dropping”.

Comment

As I was saying to Barry Manilow the other night, 'How come you didn't sing "Mandy", you big poof', before I was manhandled out of the Westgate.

Comment

"Is he saying 'quit manhandling me'?"
                  "Nah, he's saying 'keep manhandling me'.

Comment

What can I say? It was $27 for a ticket. I HAD to go.

I've never thought of him as naff. I've thought of him as 'SHOWBIZ', which is fine if you have as much talent as he has. If he was slightly better looking, Michael Bubl (ALT + 0233) would never have existed.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                      "Is he saying 'quit manhandling me'?"
                      "Nah, he's saying 'keep manhandling me'.
                      (Oh, and)

You came, and you gave without taking.

Comment

Fine, but no-one else gets this shit when mentioning people they love, in this case because Terry Hall is wrongly being characterised as a bit weird (by Dave Wakeling), when he’s just a bit anxious. It makes me feel miserable and bullied and not like being on here. How many fucking times.

Comment

MsD: I'm sorry. I'm pretty sure that I missed something here.

However, I admit it: It was a few months back, but yeah, Barry Manilow was great.

Comment

And it was at the Westgate, and of course he fucking sang 'Mandy', are you shitting me?

No, he didn't sing 'Quagmire', which would have been hilarious to me at least. But, yeah, showbiz and class.

He's about 105 now, so it's unlikely I will ever get to hear him sing my favourite song by him 'London', because a) he's 105, and b) he generally only sings it when he is literally on stage in London.

(I only went to make my sister jealous, honest. 8{-))) )

Comment

Ladytron were brilliant last night in Glasgow. Great set, not too heavy on the unreleased new album, bright and hypnotic visuals, the band looking relaxed and happy. Usually you expect pop stars to become more ordinary looking as they approach their forties. Helen Marnie seems to be going the other way, resembling an alien from a cool '60s sci-fi film more than ever.

Hoping to catch them again at the Roundhouse tomorrow. There's a glass of something effervescent on the bar for top OTFer and general good egg MsD should she want one.

Comment

I hope Furtho's do went off with a bang too.

Comment

Cheers Benjm. It went about as well as it could possibly have done. A respectable number of people bought advance tickets, a bunch then paid on the door. epic45 were absolutely superb -- they brought their own sound guy and he really got to grips with the quirks of the venue -- and a decent amount of merchandise was shifted. The band really enjoyed it and subsequent online comments from attendees have all been very positive. It's stressful but, when it comes off like this, worthwhile.

Oh, and without wishing to lurch across from Mundane, Furtho's Dating News can be updated -- she attended the show, really enjoyed it, we had a great, great time. If I used emojis on OTF, this would be an appropriate moment to wheel one out with a big smile on its chops.
                                  Last edited by Furtho; 03-11-2018, 21:40.

Comment

Please can we stop this shit about me “name dropping”.
                                    Sorry.

Comment

Thanks. You’re not the worst culprit and may not even be aware of how much shit I’ve had on here. I’m already a bit triggered by the re-appearance of my most vile stalker on the photography thread, vaguely hoped he’d have pegged it by now.

Anyway, I have indeed got Ladytron later, I don’t feel great so it’s just going to be taxi there, watch Ladytron, taxi home, would be nice to say hello to Benjm but I’m really not 100%.

I’ve bought tickets for Massive Attack London O2 and Bristol Steelyard, end of Feb and beginning of March.

Killing Joke next Saturday.

Comment

Anyway, I have indeed got Ladytron later, I don’t feel great so it’s just going to be taxi there, watch Ladytron, taxi home, would be nice to say hello to Benjm but I’m really not 100%.
                                        I'm pondering a similar approach, as feeling a bit coldy and knackered from the overnight trip to Glasgow. If I didn't have an advance ticket, you wouldn't be able to prise me out of the house with a crowbar.

New Order and Johnny Marr (separately) next weekend, so a quiet week of early nights, nutritious food and gentle stretching exercises beckons before then.

Comment

Yes, they need to take care of themselves, not getting any younger.

Comment

I'm going to write to Mr Ant and ask what his secret of eternal youth is.

Comment

Don’t drink, don’t smoke etc.

Comment

Curses! All this time I've been trying to find out his preferred clinic for monkey gland injections and the true answer was there in plain sight.

Comment

He has been drinking and smoking a bit since 2010, but I think he’s cut it out again in favour of working out and a low carb diet.

Comment

Thanks. You’re not the worst culprit and may not even be aware of how much shit I’ve had on here. I’m already a bit triggered by the re-appearance of my most vile stalker on the photography thread, vaguely hoped he’d have pegged it by now.
                                                    Honestly wasn't aware. I commented because of how artfully it was done but mainly to tell my own Siobhan Fahey story ie that I had no clue how to say Siobhan.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X