Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Classical Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Classical Thread

    Thread for any classical music that is part of your current listening. This week, Schubert has been important to my state of mind, especially these three:





    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 12-01-2018, 00:26.

    #2

    Comment


      #3
      For anyone who's interested in my day job (!), here's a live stream of this week's concert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVSnZzLffcc
      It's on youtube not iPlayer, so I think it should be viewable in any country. Please note it's an unedited live stream not an edited TV programme, but if you have a couple of hours to spare and like Wagner..... ;-)

      Comment


        #4
        Handel - Arrival of the Queen of Sheba - duet for 4 hands

        https://youtu.be/X2vck7GvXBw?t=24

        Same composition - harp:

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMm4tOemQqY
        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 30-11-2019, 16:46.

        Comment


          #5
          W.A. Mozart - Serenade For Winds; K 361; 3rd Movement (from the "Amadeus" Soundtrack) was my first gateway to his genius and grace:

          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi-HF1G_bqg

          Comment


            #6
            Mozart's range of excellence, from piano sonatas to church music to opera, and the ease with which he switched between those forms, seems to be unique.

            Chamber example: Clarinet quintet slow movement:

            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtVl9iayyBk

            Church example: Requiem Mozart - Kyrie

            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAeoV4nBjho

            Opera - Queen of the Night:

            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuBeBjqKSGQ

            Comment


              #7
              Here's the latest livestream from my orchestra...contains two of the best 'classical' pieces of the twentieth century (though they were written about a year apart) - Barber's Adagio and Shostakovich's 5th Symphony. The Barber starts at about 14:00 in and the Shostakovich about 1:17:30.

              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuqXUJzNlwI

              Comment


                #8
                Great stuff jdsx. Are you visible among the violinists then?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Thanks VA. No I've hung up my violin, so to speak. I'm the orchestra's librarian (every orchestra needs one) although my wife plays violin in the orchestra!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I'm married to an ex-orchestra librarian. I would say it's an underappreciated job!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I sometimes house-sit for/walk the dog of an international conductor, and having glimpsed just a fraction of his papers I can scarcely imagine what the full mass must look like. I've never thought before that 'orchestra librarian' is a thing, but the more I think about it the more necessary I can imagine it must be!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I had never considered this before, but conductors must have to maintain a library of their own orchestral scores.

                        Which is far from trivial given their travel schedules.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                          I sometimes house-sit for/walk the dog of an international conductor, and having glimpsed just a fraction of his papers I can scarcely imagine what the full mass must look like. I've never thought before that 'orchestra librarian' is a thing, but the more I think about it the more necessary I can imagine it must be!
                          That's fabulous. Is the dog called Adiemus by any chance...?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            I had never considered this before, but conductors must have to maintain a library of their own orchestral scores.

                            Which is far from trivial given their travel schedules.
                            Yes, although people are increasingly moving over to ipads/tablets. Most standard out-of-copyright scores and parts are already available from a website ('IMSLP'). There is a new app ('nkoda') which is seeking to be the printed music equivalent of spotify, where you pay a monthly subscription, and then all printed material from 'classical' publishers (including works still in copyright) becomes available to view (and eventually print).

                            It's only a matter of time before everything becomes digital, of course, at which point I will probably be out of a job - or at least I will probably be replaced by an IT person who has some musical knowledge. I have only once (so far) heard of a screen freezing during a performance so that the players had to actually stop playing.... I try not to mention it too often to my bosses....

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Blimey, indeed. My instinct would be that it's one area where you'd really want to keep things on paper because of the fear of precisely such a scenario occurring. It's certainly hard to imagine someone conducting off a tablet screen at, say, the Proms.

                              Comment


                                #16
                                Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                That's fabulous. Is the dog called Adiemus by any chance...?
                                Haha, no it's not him. It's a conductor who works with the National Orchestra of Wales among others, but whose main roles are with orchestras in Brittany and in the Dakotas somewhere, so he's obviously away overseas a lot of the time. So it's when his wife's away with him that I look after the house, or if she's busy that I occasionally walk the dog. She's called Pippa. The dog, I mean.

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  Nice thread idea.
                                  took me to the age of 35 for something to grab me. Classic radio in the uk tends to play the more marchy, flag wavey kind of classical that can put somebody off.
                                  not this though.
                                   
                                  Last edited by Freestyling buck wilding Stijn Stijnen; 14-02-2020, 12:03.

                                  Comment


                                    #18
                                    Seeing that it's valentines day, sharing this seems right.
                                     

                                    Comment


                                      #19
                                      Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                      Haha, no it's not him. It's a conductor who works with the National Orchestra of Wales among others, but whose main roles are with orchestras in Brittany and in the Dakotas somewhere, so he's obviously away overseas a lot of the time. So it's when his wife's away with him that I look after the house, or if she's busy that I occasionally walk the dog. She's called Pippa. The dog, I mean.
                                      Aye I think I know who you mean. Carolinas rather than Dakotas maybe! Small world!

                                      Comment


                                        #20
                                        The other issue I would see with tablets is that they can struggle to display annotations, which are why conductors keep personal scores in the first place.

                                        Comment


                                          #21
                                          Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                          Blimey, indeed. My instinct would be that it's one area where you'd really want to keep things on paper because of the fear of precisely such a scenario occurring. It's certainly hard to imagine someone conducting off a tablet screen at, say, the Proms.
                                          We've done some obscure piano concerto recordings where the solo pianist has used a tablet to view the music...complete with a foot-operated page-turning device! It will never catch on I tell you!

                                          Comment


                                            #22
                                            Crikey, it's not like pianists don't have anything to do with their feet, either. Suppose you accidentally tried to sustain a chord by pedalling the app by mistake?

                                            And yes, I got my North & South... states mixed up, didn't I? Grant Llewellyn anyway, yes, not Karl Jenkins. I almost put Carl Llewellyn then by mistake, but he won the 1992 Grand National on Party Politics.

                                            Comment


                                              #23
                                              I thought he played on the wing for Norwich?

                                              Ah no, that was Chris.

                                              Comment

                                              Working...
                                              X