Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pierre Boulez, 1925-2016

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/01/07...s-90.html?_r=1

Last edited by Bruno; 12-01-2020, 21:34.

Pierre Boulez, 1925-2016

Excellent precis, with which I concur without having the depth of experience.

His tenure at the (New York) Philharmonic was less than successful, though that was partly due to the stodgy audience's unwillingness to embrace new music* (as well as the fact that he wasn't Lenny Bernstein).

I think that his composing and IRCAM work will form the basis of his lasting legacy.

* For all of New York's "cutting edge" reputation more broadly, it is difficult to understate just how conservative its "high culture" audiences are. And this problem is exacerbated by the fact that big donors are among the most conservative members of the audience, and that they are absolutely needed given the massive costs of putting on a season here.

People bitch about the audience at La Scala, but we found them to be significantly more open to new ideas than their equivalents at the Met.

Comment

Pierre Boulez, 1925-2016

Definitely Paris.

I have limited experience of Berlin, but have the sense that they are closer to Vienna. No experience of Munich, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is on the New York/Paris end of the spectrum.

Comment

Working...
      X