Beatles Timeline: 50 years on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cry For A Shadow. Which had no lyrics.

But, fact-fans, it's the only Lennon/Harrison composition.

Comment

Another one is She Said She Said.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheep View Post
        From their entire catalogue?

The entire side 2 of the Yellow Submarine album
        Apart from being instrumental this is really George Martin's work.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
          It has lots of "she said"s though.

Comment

The Guraundiunan has an article on a “new” Beatles/Lennon song. “Radio Peace” recorded by four Danish school kids interviewing Lennon for their school magazine during a child custody trip to visit Yokosuka first husband. No indication of the date but The Beatles archivist types will be frothing at the mouth I expect.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
              I don’t think that’s a co-write between John and George though. It is possibly the only instance where they are the vocalists on a track which Paul played on but didn’t sing. He walked out of the session because of an argument apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by kokamoa View Post

I don’t think that’s a co-write between John and George though. It is possibly the only instance where they are the vocalists on a track which Paul played on but didn’t sing. He walked out of the session because of an argument apparently.
                I wasn't referring to a Lennon-Harrison collaboration.

Comment

Ooh, I do feel a fool!

Comment

Yeah, the Lennon/Harrison reference was to the instrumental "Cry For A Shadow", which they recorded on Tony Sheridan's LP in Hamburg in 1962.

Comment

I should have noted The Concert For Bangladesh, which was fifty years ago last month - considering it featured two Beatles in Harrison and Starr, plus two individuals who played on Beatles records in Billy Preston and Eric Clapton.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                        Yeah, the Lennon/Harrison reference was to the instrumental "Cry For A Shadow", which they recorded on Tony Sheridan's LP in Hamburg in 1962.
                        Indeed, and I had assumed the thread had gone into talking about Lennon/Harrison Beatles compositions, but it hadn't. It was talking about Beatles songs which don't mention the title in the lyrics, which is true of both Cry For a Shadow and She Said She Said.

Comment

Desperate click baiting from the NME, but I bring attention to it for their description of John Lennon as "the 'Imagine' hitmaker". Oh you mean that John Lennon...

https://twitter.com/NME/status/1444400507771133957?s=19

Comment

This is brilliant:

Comment

Like McCartney, I'm also a piano player who's never had a piano lesson. He's not a great piano player technically (and neither am I), but his use of chords is something special and a theme that music theorists can debate for a long time.

His bass playing is underrated though. Towards the end of the Beatles, he was doing some really inventive stuff. Check out the isolated bass on Lovely Rita.

Comment

Dunno about underrated - he always features high on any list of top bassists. A quick Googling:

Music Radar ranks him #5 of all time
                                Guitar World ranks him #3
                                NME ranks him #14
                                Rolling Stone ranks him #9

Mind you, the latter does say 'It’s hard to think of Paul McCartney as being underrated in any category. But for all the praise he’s earned as a singer, songwriter, and live performer, it’s quite possible he hasn’t gotten enough for his low-key low-end verve.'

So maybe it was the case at some point that he was underrated, but certainly there's been a very strong 'Hang on a minute fellas, this guy was actually a genius with four strings, wasn't he?' movement for a good while now.

Paperback Writer and Rain for me, Clive, if you like it pumping on your stereo. (Rain also featuring some very strong Ringo action.)
                                Last edited by Kevin S; 16-12-2021, 12:32.

Comment

Working...
                                X