No announcement yet.

Six degrees of separation ...from The Fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of 'six degrees' etc. I chatted briefly to a a Gillingham fan on my way out of Viktoria 1899 Berlin v Rot-Weiss Erfurt on Saturday, and only now - spotting his profile - does it occur to me that he might have been Alderman Barnes.

Comment

Yes, but was he ever in The Fall?

I've lately been in dealings (via a TV producer) with John Cooper Clarke - he must've been au fait with most original members of The Fall, I'd've thought.

Comment

Is anyone going to connect The Fall with Kevin Bacon? Owner of a bootleg of Mark E Smith singing Footloose?

Comment

Lad I know played keyboards in the last touring lineup of The Fall. Odd thing about this is he'd never been in bands (and worked mostly as a stand-up promoter). Posted on Facebook the once asking if anybody could give him a lend of a Moog, and next thing you know there's all these pictures of him up on stage playing with The Fall.

Around 2004 they played at the Bierkeller, and I was on bar duty. Had the pleasure of telling Mark E. Smith more than once that he couldn't get free pints at the bar, and that he had a dressing room full to the fucking brim with most every type of booze imaginable (and I should know because it was me and a mate who sorted the rider and spent the afternoon schlepping the stuff back and forth).,

Comment

Originally posted by beak View Post
            Lad I know played keyboards in the last touring lineup of The Fall. Odd thing about this is he'd never been in bands (and worked mostly as a stand-up promoter). Posted on Facebook the once asking if anybody could give him a lend of a Moog, and next thing you know there's all these pictures of him up on stage playing with The Fall.
            Michael Clapham?

Comment

No, he just cheered and waved his arms around in the air.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Michael Clapham?
                That's the chap. You know him?

Comment

Not personally but I am fairly well acquainted with The Fall in general (acquainted as in know a lot about; I never met any of them in person).

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                    Yes, but was he ever in The Fall?

I've lately been in dealings (via a TV producer) with John Cooper Clarke - he must've been au fait with most original members of The Fall, I'd've thought.
                    And one of my best friends once slept in JCC's bed. JCC wasn't in it (she was visiting his then housemate, a poet, with the other housemate being a smashed Nico), but I think that makes me 5 degrees separated.

And my very best mate - dead now - toured with Gallon Drunk, supporting The Fall. So that's 2 degrees.

And I don't even like them.

Comment

Well, they weren't that great, Gallon Drunk. I saw them supporting Morrissey once. He wasn't that great either, tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                        Is anyone going to connect The Fall with Kevin Bacon? Owner of a bootleg of Mark E Smith singing Footloose?
                        Mark E Smith is 3 degrees from Kevin Bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Mark E Smith is 3 degrees from Kevin Bacon.
                          Well, come on then--you can't leave me on tenterhooks like that.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                            Well, they weren't that great, Gallon Drunk. I saw them supporting Morrissey once. He wasn't that great either, tbh.
                            Just to clarify, I don't like the Fall, Morrissey, nor Gallon Drunk much (despite my best mate being in the latter, and supporting/going out with them a few times)

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post

Well, come on then--you can't leave me on tenterhooks like that.
                              Mark was in 24 Hour Party People with Steve Coogan who was in Rules Don't Apply with Ed Harris who was in Apollo 13 with Kevin Bacon.

Mark was in 24 Hour Party People with Ron Cook who was in Thunderbirds with Bill Paxton who was in Apollo 13 with Kevin Bacon.

There are about ten others.

I didn't sort them out, mind. There's an online tool....

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post

Just to clarify, I don't like the Fall, Morrissey, nor Gallon Drunk much (despite my best mate being in the latter, and supporting/going out with them a few times)
                                No, I wasn't suggesting anything untoward. I love The Fall and used to like Morrissey. Well, The Smiths, but early Moz too. Until it became evident he was a racist cunt. Gallon Drunk weren't much.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                  Speaking of 'six degrees' etc. I chatted briefly to a a Gillingham fan on my way out of Viktoria 1899 Berlin v Rot-Weiss Erfurt on Saturday, and only now - spotting his profile - does it occur to me that he might have been Alderman Barnes.
                                  No, it wasn't me, I'm afraid, but I'm intrigued to know who it might have been.

However, in my fanzine days, I did tag along with Gallon Drunk one night to the bar where Bowie used to hang out. And one time I interviewed one of the Inspiral Carpets, who'd just made that record with MES. He said he was pissed all the time and liked to eat raw meat.

Comment

Just found out I that have a Smith number of 4!

Back in the day I was in a student theatre group with Paul Ritter, who was in Their Finest with Bill Nighy, who was in Shaun of the Dead with Simon Pegg, who was in 24-Hour Party People.

Comment

I've been in Malcolm Boyle's house; he acted along with Elena Poulou in an episode of Ideal. I've also met Stuart Estell, who played (coming from the audience) an encore with The Fall in 1998. There are some other examples as well. So two degrees for me.

Comment

I've got a Smith number of 4, twice, through some vampire movie called Suck, 'featuring' Alex Lifeson and Alice Cooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Alderman Barnes View Post
                                          Just found out I that have a Smith number of 4!

Back in the day I was in a student theatre group with Paul Ritter, who was in Their Finest with Bill Nighy, who was in Shaun of the Dead with Simon Pegg, who was in 24-Hour Party People.

Paul Ritter was very good in Chernobyl.

Comment

My mate appears on this compilation LP as do The Fall. Does that give me a Smith number of 2? https://www.discogs.com/Various-Kats...elease/2264185

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Paul Ritter was very good in Chernobyl.
                                              He always was. It was like playing in a pub team alongside an England under-21 international.

Comment

Originally posted by Alderman Barnes View Post

No, it wasn't me, I'm afraid, but I'm intrigued to know who it might have been.
                                                Bloke in his 60s, lived close to the ground, says he'd been in Berlin 30 years, spoke okay German with a very strong British accent.

Comment

Doesn't ring any bells, but it's nice to know that there are fellow afflicted nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                                    lived close to the ground
                                                    So....he's very short?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X