WONDERFUL WONDERFUL, COPENHAGEN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dunno what KBO means, but if it could mean Kiss by Ovaltine, its happening, and thanks.

Comment

Just read this comment on the Guardian website by someone called BLUSOULMAN (who has won the Internet):

Well it's not the first time a charismatic Austrian with unusual facial hair has caused a stir in Europe

Comment

Ha. Russell Brand tweeted a pic of himself in Jemima's dress, just after, and said he'd had great fun but was now exhausted. Made me laugh.

Comment

Anyone who professes not to stand Eurovision is bonkers, imho. The staging, alone, last night was fanstastic. And yes, some of the acts are a bit ropey (actually I don't think anyone last night was a joke, I thought any of them would have passed muster on eg the X-Factor, in fact wasn't Spain's a former semi-finalist there?) and yes, it's all a bit tongue-in-cheek and fun, but you know what there's nothing wrong in that (again, in comparison to the increasingly overblown and oh-so-bloody serious karaoke contest Cowell runs on the other side).

No, I thoroughly enjoyed this year's. Voted for Iceland, and was disappointed they came nowhere.

Comment

Ha, the Russell Brand resemblance was one of my first reactions too. I expect somebody must have given RB the idea, as I think people are generally the last to be struck by their own look-alike resemblances.

Rogin, I agree with all that. I thought the music this year was, on average, way better than last year.

Comment

Voting detail is up on the eurovision.tv site - an interesting bit of detail is that for both the UK and Ireland, the public voted Poland first and the juries last, meaning no points from the combined totals.

A sizeable well mobilized expat vote bolstered by the loltits crowd, no doubt.

Comment

I am no fan of Eurovision but is somewhat concerned with some suggestions (not on here) that a bearded transvestite winning it somewhat proves that it is rubbish.

Comment

Graham Norton was at pains to describe "her" as a drag act during last night's show, a creation of the person behind the mascara. Does that matter? I'm not really sure. I suppose some people might not have voted for Conchita if they'd known she wasn't Conchita in real life, and might actually be a spot-welder called Heinrich with a wife and three kids?

Comment

Most of the complaints I have read elsewhere, were about that^, UK doing so badly, BBC wasting money, and that the music was shite.

Pretty much everything, really.

I thought it was the best I have seen in years.

Comment

The man doing the 'Conchita' thing is a performance artist/singer. When he is not in character, he insists on being called 'he', but when in drag, he insists on 'she' (or the German/Austrian equivalents.)

Comment

There have been complaints about Eurovision as long as I can remember (since the late 60s), about it's being shoddy, tacky, bla bla. Especially when the UK wasn't doing so well.

Comment

Gerontophile wrote: Most of the complaints I have read elsewhere, were about that^, UK doing so badly, BBC wasting money, and that the music was shite.

Pretty much everything, really.

I thought it was the best I have seen in years.
                          The complaints are from those who don't like it, obviously, but it's one of those things the beeb cover that are deemed a waste of money by a certain part of the population because they don't like it, but never consider that a minority subject that they favour might also be deemed a waste of the broadcaster's money by another part of the population.
                          Although it gets a broad audience, it still gets associated with being a 'gay' thing, and also has the added millstone of being a Europe-wide thing. It's certainly no coincidence that Nigel Farage is very anti it.

Comment

a bearded transvestite winning it somewhat proves that it is rubbish.
                            Using that logic, Don't forget the lyrics is brilliant if it's won by a clean-shaven straight man. (Unlikely, I know.)

Comment

Not sure if you've covered this already, but Ingerlund fans are bound to see the omens of Austria's last win coming in 1966.

Comment

I saw a comment on the Guardian from a 'gay' man, who derided the win.

His reasoning was that it reinforces the stereotype that all gay men are feminine. (I honestly dont know if 'Conchita' is gay, and care much less.)

I sort of agreed, and then remembered my history of Stonewall, (and the situations I have found myself in when violence kicks off in a gay situation, and it's the Trannies who are the (others, not proud of myself for retaliating) ones fighting back), and thought again about it. No-one of a certain political mindset in Europe has a clue about any of this.

And probably never will.

Stereotypes are here to stay.

And if I didn't mention before, FUCK ARMENIA (except Cher, obviously.)

Comment

Somewhere in my last post is a comment that is easy to read, but I am fucked if I can work it out.

Comment

It's the first commandment in the Holy Book of Gay: "Thou shalt represent all thy kind, and they shall represent you."

As a dark-haired person who occasionally wears a dress, and always dislikes tweezing, I can hold my head a little higher today. Thanks, Conchita!

Comment

GOOD FOR YOU.

As a grey haired person, who loves Eurovision, I dont give a shit about anyone else's comments on whether you live or die happily, but you bet your onions, that I will die for you and me.

And that's it, really. Live it, or fuck off. UNTIL the word equal actually means, equal.

Comment

I sort of agreed, and then remembered my history of Stonewall, (and the situations I have found myself in when violence kicks off in a gay situation, and it's the Trannies who are the (others, not proud of myself for retaliating) ones fighting back), and thought again about it. No-one of a certain political mindset in Europe has a clue about any of this.
                                        Man, I would love to hear more about that story.

Comment

Threads passim.

(Market tavern, Pride Day, skinheads, skirmish, they break in, and in the back is a pool table, with almost no-one completely smashed out of their knickers on wonderful Afghan black.

The only pub/club open in the area... I was already on the TV in my Celtic shirt because, I was different. Skinheads come in, the nod goes up, stoned people wake up, and dont get me wrong, we did, but the ladies, well they saw it coming. No, they smelled it coming, and were on the dancefloor, signalling the shit out of each other.

So this whirlwhind of maybe 3 (closer to 20, but why lose a narrative) poor fuckers with skinheads, happened to wander into the most wrong bar in town... and the Trannies went Radio. Shoes off, and no rhyme or reason, (as the stoned contingent woke up), flew in.

Then as the action returns to the Skinheads, you can see one mouthing the words (in slow motion) " Oh shittttttttttttttttttt", and after the damage was done, and the pool cues broken, the rest waded in.

No-one died. Too many people were hurt. But the good news, is that there used to be a lot of homophobes. The morning after, there were the same number, but with added stilleto marks to the face and neck. It was a bloodbath. It was also fantastic. I still have a bruise where a mate of mine clambered over me, to swing from the pool table light to kick a bad guy, but half way through, realised (Hope you are reading this 'cellmate') that he wasnt going to make it, and landed on top of a bouncer, whom, fortunately, he had been shagging the previous week.

Digress. (There was a back door to that place.) The gentlemen were tidied up, and taken out of the back door (no police), and were 'dealt' with.

Except for one, who I think is still being kept as a pet by 'Abigail' as we speak.

Comment

For no apparent reason, I just watched the video for Hungary. It is very late, and I am very tired, but this reminds me of my childhood.

Oh, well, at least I didn't put this in the Mundane Thread II.

Comment

If I can't get that story into a script, I should give up (if I haven't already). I may set it around the Eurovision.

I think that I have mentioned a load of, I think, northern Rugby League supporters going down the Earls Court road to go "queer bashing" without taking into about the sheer number of gay pubs and, possibly more importantly, gyms down there. Apparently, it is was like a Western bar brawl X20

Comment

Ola Ciupa and Paula Tumala, Poland's skiffleboard playing milkmaids, are definitely not a safe for work google search.

Comment

Eurovision has gone from Dana International winning because she had a decent song, despite her being transgender, to Conchita Wurst winning because she is transgender, despite having a shit song.

That, ladies and gentleman, is progress.

Comment

Best Dutch result since I was born. Won't begrudge Conchita her victory though. Iceland and Finland deserved to score more points. France had the worst Eurovision points tally ever (and seriously, who were those two poor excuses for countries that did give them points?); that one guy of theirs should have put some pants on. The Graham Norton bothering was excellent. Glad that Poland didn't get substantially rewarded for that boobalicious display, but did get punished for that horrible abomination (the lyrics claimed that it was 'music', but I disagree).

Great fun all around; am already looking forward to next year.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X