The 50 most drug-addled albums...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...or not - you can probably think of a few other candidates. There's a lot out there!

As a non-drug-taker, I may be wide of the mark, but for starters I'd also suggest...

'Psychocandy' by The Jesus And Mary Chain

'She Hangs Brightly' by Mazzy Star

'Loaded With Power' by Sensational

...and just about anything by G.G. Allin!

Pretty much the entire Spacemen 3 / Spiritualized canon.

Comment

Rather obvious, but anything by the Beatles from Rubber Soull onwards.

Pills Thrills and Bellyachess by Happy Mondays.

I said they were obvious.

Comment

Wot no Dead?

In truth almost any "underground" album from the mid to late 60s would qualify. How about Electric Music for the Mind and Body by Country Joe and the Fish? Here's Section 43

Comment

As John Lydon said in the late 1980s:

"New Order? They take more drugs than The Grateful Dead."

Comment

Piper at the Gates of Dawn seems an obvious shout.

Pills Thrills and Bellyachess by Happy Mondays.
            Yes, Please even more so, if the tales of its recording are to be believed.

Be Here Now - pretty conclusive proof that coke is no substance on which to write an album.

From the 'obvious but not obvious' stable: Lysergic Emanations by The Fuzztones.

Comment

Blame Noel and Liam, not the coke.

It's unlikely to make an artist more interesting but plenty of others have managed to turn out something better than their Shitleg Beatles nonsense while blasted.

Comment

More than likely - but the ol' marching powder is always likelier to make one believe one's own bullsh*t than a more 'creative' drug...

Comment

True - it turns the musicians into their own Patrick Batemans.

Batemen?

Comment

Sits With Rivelinho wrote: Rather obvious, but anything by the Beatles from Rubber Soull onwards.
                    I'd say all their albums were drug-addled!

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: ...marching powder is always likelier to make one believe one's own bullsh*t than a more 'creative' drug...
                      Septum death!

Comment

I'd say coke can be more conducive to the sort of creativity needed to make albums than weed or bad skunk, or alcohol (depending on the artist).

Bowie's coke period was brilliant.

That said, people's chemistry varies.

What's that "no reggae allowed" on that list all about, then?

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: From the 'obvious but not obvious' stable: Lysergic Emanations by The Fuzztones.
                          Excellent nomination. Am going to download it now.

Anything with Lemmy on, surely.

Appetite of Destruction by Guns and Roses, of course.

Comment

evilC wrote: 'Psychocandy' by The Jesus And Mary Chain
                            I'm confused by this. One of my favourite albums and it's a lot of things, but druggy? I don't see it. Show your working.

Comment

I think there's a tiny sub-genre of the 'difficult second album', where the artists tackle the creative challenge by ingesting large amounts of hallucinogens.

Suede's Dog Man Star and Terence Trent D'Arby's Neither Fish Nor Flesh are examples of this category.

Comment

In Suede's case, however, it turned out better than the first.

I'm confused by this. One of my favourite albums and it's a lot of things, but druggy? I don't see it. Show your working.
                                Well, they certainly spoke of doing a lot of speed and acid at the time it was recorded.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: Well, they certainly spoke of doing a lot of speed and acid at the time it was recorded.
                                  Yes, but even Richard Carpenter was caning the booze and the Quaaludes. But, like the J&MC, I don't think it's reflected in the music.

Alternatively, Don't Stop Me Now by Queen is coked up to the eyeballs. And the VU's White Light/White Heat is all about taking speed. And, as Dalliance said, virtually all of Spacemen 3's recordings.

Comment

Surprised there's no mention of There's A Riot Goin' On. Mind you, nearly all of it is unlistenable drivel, no matter how many critics wank on about it.

Comment

The Wizard of Oz soundtrack.

Comment

to echo MsD ...why isn't reggae allowed?..

Comment

MsD wrote: I'd say coke can be more conducive to the sort of creativity needed to make albums than weed or bad skunk, or alcohol (depending on the artist).
                                          I don't agree. I think Bowie's one of the few exceptions to the general rule that cocaine produces horribly self-indulgent music.

Comment

Definitely agree with 'There's A Riot Goin' On'.

Might also suggest 'Exile On Main Street', 'The Electric Spanking Of War Babies', 'Rock And Roll' (Lennon), 'The Other Side Of The Moon',

Comment

adams house cat wrote: The Other Side Of The Moon
                                              ?

Comment

ale wrote: to echo MsD ...why isn't reggae allowed?..
                                                Personally, I hate most reggae but its exclusion here does stink of the "Disco Sucks" campaign.

Having said that, is being excluded from a list of the most drug-addled albums really that disrespectful?

Comment

to echo MsD ...why isn't reggae allowed?..
                                                  It is (on our list anyway). Why don't you both suggest some?

I'll start you off with Legalize It! by Peter Tosh...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X