The NME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The NME

a 21st Century Joy Division, fronted by a young, totally wired, Welsh Tom Waits, strapped to the front of a speeding train with no brakes

a young, totally wired, Welsh Tom Waits, strapped to the front of a speeding train with no brakes

strapped to the front of a speeding train with no brakes

a speeding train with no brakes

no brakes

no brakes

no brakes

no brakes
    Aye, a speeding train with no brakes that derailed almost immediately, IIRC.

Comment

The NME

Before I catch up on this thread, can I just point out that this is on Radio 4 at four o'clock.

Comment

The NME

Yes, I enjoyed it. It included contributions from John Doran, formerly of this parish.

Comment

The NME

A good listen all right, thanks for the heads-up. I've reviewed it for my employers this weekend.

Comment

The NME

Do the Irish papers review many British radio programmes?

Comment

The NME

In general, no. I do it the odd time if it's a quiet week domestically.

Comment

The NME

Was Melody Maker written out of history on that programme, the way it usually is?

Nobody asked me to contribute, so I sat here sulking with folded arms and didn't bother to listen.

Comment

The NME

I don't remember Melody Maker being featured that much. It was Danny Kelly, Mark Ellen, David Hepworth, all that lot. More of a nostalgia trip than a comprehensive analysis.

Comment

The NME

Yeah, all editors, who barely wrote a single line worth reading. That's always the problem with these things. It's like an official history of your schooldays, written by the teachers.

Comment

The NME

In next week's unmissable NME: The 100 Greatest Beatles Songs

I don't know about going free, they'd have to pay me to read that one.

Comment

The NME

Not very surprising, but NME to become a 'free sheet'.
                        http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/86702?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_ca mpaign=NME

Comment

The NME

Shame that as a nation we are neither able to produce, nor consume in sufficient quantities to sustain, a decent heavyweight music-oriented broadsheet weekly.

Come on The Daily Mail, forget the BBC’s tennis coverage, this is the sort of thing you should be getting indignant about.

Comment

The NME

Mumpo wrote: Shame that as a nation we are neither able to produce, nor consume in sufficient quantities to sustain, a decent heavyweight music-oriented broadsheet weekly.
                            Does any other nation do so?

Comment

The NME

The music website Louder Than War has a new bi-monthly magazine out. Anyone read it?

Comment

The NME

Nope.

I saw a free NME the other day. Christ. Last time I looked at it, at least my housemates were writing the reviews section but I'm not sure they even have one anymore. I give it a year.

Comment

The NME

I have just realised that I picked a free NME up the other day and it is still in my bag. I should read it.

Comment

The NME

Don't go out of your way.

Comment

The NME

I am going up to the loo in a minute. Will report back.

Comment

The NME

50 minutes and counting. Perhaps it is a throughly absorbing read.

Comment

The NME

Sorry, went to make lunch straight after.

It's OK actually but all over the place. Now I am assuming that I shouldn't know a lot in there. There are two interviews - one with Foals and one with Example - both of whom I have heard of and the latter quite enjoyed when I saw him on TV. However, they are definitely music for ver kids.

However, there are odd things like a bit on Rage Against The Machine because there is a live DVD of their 2010 concert out. There is also a piece of Gorillaz also and it all seems a bit, well, old. It seems to be trying to aim itself at late 30 year olds and upwards. Maybe that generation is the last time NME was relevant.

I wouldn't say that I found it unreadable or that I was out of touch with it. Indeed, considering I am nearly 50, I was worryingly conversant with a lot of it. Indeed, anyone who had watched a fair few episodes of "Later...." would be well up to speed.

It had a singles review and a couple of albums reviewed, no live reviews but lots of games and films. Two interviews and features on TV programmes, films and fashion. It also had a cartoon horse which I have no of the relevance of. Basically, if it was like this before it went free, I could see why it went free. Having said that, I find it a bit better than some other free music papers I pick up.

Comment

The NME

no live reviews eh?

I guess the eternal question 'were you even at the same gig???' can at last be conclusively answered.

Comment

The NME

Were you even at the same laptop as me?!

Comment

The NME

However, they are definitely music for ver kids.
                                                Speak for yourself, grandad. I have the first three Foals albums.

I browsed a free NME in the pub around a month ago. I think I managed to do it more than justice while my friend - whose copy it was - went to the bar.

Comment

The NME

You're a kid though, Jah. Aren't you?

Comment

The NME

As long as I'm not a 'kidult'...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X