Unexpected writing credits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was watching Wreck It Ralph which has Rihanna's "Shut Up and Drive" on the soundtrack.
    Written by the members of New Order apparently. Including Oookey.
    I wasn't expecting that.

Samples Blue Monday, The guitar bit uses the "Tell me, how does it feel, tell me now how does it feel" melody.

Comment

Born This Way by Lady Gaga was written and produced by Senior out of Junior Senior.

Meanwhile, what do you imagine a Beach Boys song written by Brian Wilson and Roger McGuinn to sound like? That's right, like this.

Comment

Little Mix wrote Born Slippy.

Comment

Jim Dale wrote Dic A Dum Dum which was a hit for Des O'Connor.

Comment

Written by ex-King Crimson bassist Gordon Haskell:

The great Jack Douglas: Don't Forget The Beer, Dear

Comment

Elvis Costello, of course, wrote an entire album of material for ex-Transvision Vamp singer Wendy James. Christ knows why.

Comment

Clive Dunn's Grandad was written by Kenny Pickett of the Creation, and Herbie Flowers.

Comment

Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote the BBC World Cup themes in 1978 and 1982 while Rod Argent was on the 1978 one and wrote ITV's in the 1980s IIRC.

Comment

I didn't realise Graham Lyle had a co-credit on Jim Diamond's seminal hand-holder I Should Have Known Better.

Comment

Actually, now that I think about it, I did.

Comment

Tramp The Dirt Down wrote: Jim Dale wrote Dic A Dum Dum which was a hit for Des O'Connor.
                        He also wrote the lyrics to Georgy Girl, which is impressive.

Comment

I was surprised when I found out the extent of Paul Carack's contribution to The Smiths.

Comment

The BBC's golf theme was written by Shadows drummer Brian Bennett:

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: Elvis Costello, of course, wrote an entire album of material for ex-Transvision Vamp singer Wendy James. Christ knows why.
                              I think I can muster a guess.

Comment

Andrew Ridgley was only attributed to contributing any writing to one song on "Wham's greatest hits" -

That was "Careless Whimper" which was of course Gorgeous George going solo, and not part of Wham.

Comment

It had previously featured on the second Wham! album - and the US single credit was Wham! featuring George Michael.

I think I can muster a guess.
                                  Well, he'd not long been married to Cait at that point...

Comment

They were never actually married.

AFAIK, could be wrong.

She denies it in this interview, and no-one seems to remember a wedding. Not that it matters particularly, they were a couple.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/life-after-rehab-26433990.html

Comment

According to Wiki (yeah, I know), EC and CO'R were married in 1986 - which is earlier than I'd thought. But, given that they didn't divorce until 2002, I don't know that Elvis was up to anything with la James. Could be wrong, of course.

Comment

He might have just liked her and /or fancied her, a lot of men did and still do. She played Rough Trade a couple of years ago and several male friends were raving over her.

These were musicians, too, one of whom claims to have gone out with her. I'm not sure I believe him. Anyway, she has that effect on men.

Comment

Well, yeah, she was undoubtedly attractive - just would've thought Elvis had more than enough irons in the fire at that stage. As indeed it were.

Transvision Vamp, though. I mean, please...

Comment

It's possible that EC did the WJ album to get some publishing credits for O'Riordan as she was listed as co-writer on some of the songs:

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/index.php/Cait_O%27Riordan

The relationship between EC and CO'R seems to have been influenced by them both being big drinkers. It started when Costello produced The Pogues, where booze was a big presence. A pair of addictive personalities.

Also: he was 30, she was 19. More Woody Allen in 'Manhattan' than John & Yoko.

Comment

Working...
                                            X