X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Singing technique terminology question

According to this tweet by Justin Hawkins

https://twitter.com/JustinHawkins/statuses/137165299840581633

"I use head voice for softer high singing but mostly it's high belt. Journalists call it falsetto, but that is mostly incorrect!"

Does anyone here know WTF that means, assuming it's not some kind of joke (never a safe assumption with JH of course)?

Edit: actually, I'll leave that here just in case anyone wants to comment, but it was a bit dumb of me not to google first as I see there are explanations of those terms easily findable on the web. Never realised singing could be such a technical business!

From my limited understanding, 'head voice' is basically using your voice as you would normally, i.e. without using your diaphragm to project. 'High belt' is when you use the diaphragm to really inject some volume to proceedings.

Comment

Yeah, I'd go with TG. Well, apart from the fact that, as I am a supply teacher, projecting my voice is normal.

You should really be using your diaphragm all the time. I hate The Darkness but I can see what he is saying. I can sing as high as Justin Hawkins if I am using just the sinuses and the throat but not for a long time and it sounds very reedy.

Comment

Actually, what's he talking about. Coke's probably fucked all his tone.

Comment

I learned that from TLMG, who, apart from being host to a phenomenal voice, took singing lessons for several years. Just in case i didn't feel inadequate enough as a musician.

You should hear her belt out some Stevie Wonder.

Comment

'High belt' is when you pull your trousers up so high that the crotch seam crushes your 'nads.

Comment

Also known as 'The Cowell Technique'.

Comment

Working...
              X