X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Album Titles That Were Puns

One Dozen Berrys - 1958 studio LP by Chuck Berry
    Revolver and Rubber Soul - Beatles
    Cunning Stunts - Caravan (technically a Spoonerism)

A local band I knew in York had an LP called Pot Sounds, which is of course a pun on another LP title.

https://www.discogs.com/release/7631...uts-Pot-Sounds

A Salt With A Deadly Pepa

Comment

Carter USM's 101 Damnations.

Comment

The Beatles were thinking of naming Revolver "After Geography", as a pun on the Stones' Aftermath. It's a good thing they didn't.

Comment

"12 Deadly Cyns ... and then some" by Cyndi Lauper

Comment

Ankst put out a couple of compilations entitled S4C makes me want to smoke crack which is riffing on Beck's record.

Comment

HMHB - Trouble over Bridgewater

Comment

Blizzard of Ozz.

Comment

Milestones - Miles Davis

Comment

Muse Sick-n-Hour Mess Age

Comment

Not really a pun, but after Bowie released Low, Nick Lowe released an EP called Bowi.

Comment

Kirsty MacColl - Electric Landlady

Comment

Butthole Surfers - Hairway to Steven

Comment

Didn't one of those skate rock bands do "Enema of the State?"

Comment

Blink 182

Comment

I suppose Aladdin Sane would count n'all.

Comment

There were rumours that Van Halen's OU812 was a response to Diamond Dave's Eat 'Em and Smile (i've only just spotted that the OU812 cover is a homage to With The Beatles)

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                    Blink 182
                                    They also had "Take Off Your Pants and Jacket"

Comment

Don't know whether they're, strictly speaking, puns:

Schwein Lake - Peter and the Test Tube Babies
                                      From Lubbock to Clintwood East - Terry and Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                        Not really a pun, but after Bowie released Low, Nick Lowe released an EP called Bowi.
                                        In the same spirit, Dan Deacon has a track called Steely Blues in answer to Steely Dan having a track called Deacon Blues

Comment

Not a pun, but I always liked that the Traveling Wilburys' second album was called Volume 3 just to mess with people's heads.

Comment

See also Townes Van Zandt's live album The Late, Great Townes Van Zandt, which managed to fool my dad.

Bobbie Gentry released an album called Local Gentry. Artists who pun on their own names seem quite thin on the ground; this and the Salt n Pepa one I mentioned earlier are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                              Revolver and Rubber Soul - Beatles
                                              Not for the first time, I'd like to display my ignorance. What's the pun here?

Comment

The Pet Shop Boys' first two albums, Please and Actually. The first was apparently named so that people would go into a record shop and say, 'I'd like the Pet Shop Boys' album, please'.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Not for the first time, I'd like to display my ignorance. What's the pun here?
                                                  Revolver revolves when you put it on a turntable
                                                  Rubber Soul is kind of a pun on the rubber sole of a shoe.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X