World Party's Over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World Party's Over

Karl Wallinger has passed away at the age of 66.

https://sterlewine.substack.com/ on his collaboration with Mike Scott and what he's probably best known for, the Waterboys.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...is%20publicist and the same writer's obituary
    Last edited by Antepli Ejderha; 12-03-2024, 06:33.

Just saw this news. I think he was brilliant, both as part of the Waterboys but latterly with World Party, his own project. Goodbye Jumbo is one of my favourite albums. His most famous song is probably She's the One, but that's because Robbie Williams covered it.

One of the best songs ever written about St Mirren

Comment

https://twitter.com/MickPuck/status/1767271794950455606?t=LbQZ3YFU6KFr5K3bLAgT0w&s=19

For some reason I thought the two had fallen out badly.

Comment

This is such a beautifully crafted pop song.

Comment

Alternative thread title could be "Put the Messenger in a Box"

Comment

Not sure the rift between Wallinger and Mike Scott ever did heal - there was a bells-and-whistles Waterboys box set recently concerning the This Is The Sea era: demos, works in progress, etc. In interview Scott mentioned that almost everything in existence from that period was in the box - apart from the demos had Wallinger kept hold of and wouldn't clear for release.

She's The One may have not been World Party's best work, nor Robbie Williams's version particularly admired by Wallinger at the time, but he'd been clearsighted of late about it paying his substantial medical bills and allowing time for his recovery following on from the 2001 brain aneurysm.

(That song reached Williams via his writing partner and former WP member Guy Chambers. Pete Frame could've done a decent Family Tree centred on World Party, with roots and branches panning out to include The Waterboys, Icicle Works, The Bootleg Beatles, Oasis (and spin-offs), Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, Flight Of The Conchords, The La's, Lightning Seeds...)

Wallinger was a very gifted harmonist and songwriter, and an underrated studio musician - he didn't really have much use for other band members outside of touring and promotion, which is why they tended to drift off after a while. RIP.

Top five!

1. Is It Like Today?
            2. Ship Of Fools
            3. Way Down Now
            4. Sooner Or Later
            5. Put The Message In The Box

Comment

Devastating. I played Goodbye Jumbo a huge amount in the 90s and have continued revisiting. Bang! was a decent follow-up too.

I’ve always loved the opening lines of this song:

I got an extra glimpse of the world today
              Staring at my breakfast, when I thought I heard it say
              ”Fighting is no good, success an empty lie
              The treasure hunt is lonely, until you realise
              We came to take it up”

Comment

I loved Goodbye Jumbo back in the day.
                And I had no idea he was in the Waterboys. The things that pass you by completely.

Comment

So weird. Two or three days ago, First Wave on Sirius played Ship of Fools and I had a long rant in my head about how fucking boring a song it is, yet they play it over Way Down Now or Message In The Box, which I could listen to any old time quite happily. It's odd when a relatively unremarkable song becomes the crowd favourite (see Mirror In The Bathroom).

Comment

The World Party version of "She's the One" was the first dance at our wedding, and Goodbye Jumbo is a masterpiece. RIP indeed.

Comment

Had a great late career as a Swedish copper.

Comment

There's a sliding doors moment around if Wallinger had stayed with Mike Scott - The Waterboys "project" would probably have taken a much more obviously commercial route than Scott took it down in the wake of Wallinger splitting away - on it's own terms Fisherman's Blues was a hugely successful album, but you could easily imagine the two of them carving out a lot of chart hits between them, if they had so desired.

Comment

I love The Waterboys and Ship of Fools (I have the 12”) was on constant rotation in my flat for a while. Bloody love that song.
                          RIP.

Comment

All Come True I really liked. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Richeyedwards View Post
                              All Come True I really liked. RIP.
                              Welcome to the board, just seen your doubled your total posts today.

Comment

Working...
                              X