Unwanted first names in music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unwanted first names in music

I'm a fan of Gene Clark and only found out today that his birth name was Harold Eugene Clark. I discovered the following musicians are all Harolds:

Gene Clark
    Harry Belafonte
    Ray Stevens
    Conway Twitty

The other name people seemed keen to get rid of iwas George.

Peter Criss
    Micky Dolenz
    Van Morrison
    Roger Waters​

So Harold and George both come in at four. Is there a more unwanted name in music?

Morrison was called Ivan from birth

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
      Morrison was called Ivan from birth
      He's George Ivan Morrison according to Wikipedia.

Comment

John? John 'Ozzy' Osbourne, John 'Wilko Johnson' Wilkinson, John 'Joe Strummer' Mellor, John 'Jah Wobble' Wardle, etc

I'm going to throw James into the mix as well, on the basis that both Paul McCartney and Roger McGuinn are actually Jameses, and James Hendrix and James Morrison (the 60s one) were known by diminutives.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post

He's George Ivan Morrison according to Wikipedia.
          Lots of people are called by their second or 'middle' names from birth. I'm one and from the discussions we've on other threads there are others on here. If I were a musician using the name I'm always called by, you couldn't say I'd rejected my first name, because it's never been used. It's a nuisance, but it's the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Knight View Post
            I'm going to throw James into the mix as well, on the basis that both Paul McCartney and Roger McGuinn are actually Jameses, and James Hendrix and James Morrison (the 60s one) were known by diminutives.
            I think you're right. The following are all Jameses:

Rick James
            LL Cool J
            Paul McCartney
            Roger McGuinn
            Iggy Pop
            PJ Proby
            Midge Ure​

Lots of Jims and Jimmys in pop. Although apparently Jimi Hendrix was a Johnny by birth.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
              Lots of people are called by their second or 'middle' names from birth. I'm one and from the discussions we've on other threads there are others on here. If I were a musician using the name I'm always called by, you couldn't say I'd rejected my first name, because it's never been used. It's a nuisance, but it's the way it is.
              I'm in this gang too, and so is one of my sisters. It's a nuisance, and I deliberately didn't burden either of my kids with it (though my sister did for one of hers).

Comment

John Paul Weller is another who dropped John.

Comment

Also:
                  John Simon Ritchie (Sid Vicious)
                  John Anthony Gillis (Jack White)

Comment

Never knew the Van in Van Morrison was from Ivan! So glad he adopted "Van", thus paving the way for the all-time greatest Letter to Viz.

Comment

I'm a fan of Gene Clark and only found out today that his birth name was Harold Eugene Clark. I discovered the following musicians are all Harolds:

Gene Clark
                      Harry Belafonte
                      Ray Stevens
                      Conway Twitty
                      Plus Harry Webb, although apparently he wasn't born a Harold. Nor was Harry Styles, or any number of modern day Harrys, the original name is steeped in history but seems to be dying out.

Comment

I thought most Harrys were Henrys.

Has it been mentioned yet that Belafonte was a Harold AND a George?

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                          I thought most Harrys were Henrys.
                          Historically yes, but almost all millenial Harrys will have Harry on their birth certificates.

Harry Webb is a bit of an outlier.

Comment

Random unwanted first names-

Graham-Suggs

Declan-Elvis Costello

Cathal-Chas Smash

Paul-Bono and Gary Glitter

David-The Edge

Stephen-Billy Bragg

Stuart- Adam Ant

Gordon- Sting

Comment

Calvin - Snoop Dogg
                              Shawn - Jay-Z
                              Kelvin, Vincent, and David - Posdnous, Maseo, and Trugoy, collectively known as De La Soul

Comment

Harold Allan Clarke of the Hollies

Comment

John Michael Stipe is another one who dropped the 'John'.

Comment

Aloe Blacc (sp?) is known to his mom as... Egbert.

And thanks to Pointless, I recently learnt that the real name of R&B singer Ginuwine is really Elgin Lumpkin, which is a magnificent​ly bad name. What were Mr and Mrs Lumpkin thinking? Couldn't they at least give their son a cool first name? Like Drake (real name, incidentally, Aubrey).

Comment

Ice-T's name is Tracy Lauren Marrow, so I don't begrudge him that moniker.

Ditto Dido who was christened with a boy's name (Florian).

Comment

Mr and Mrs Marrow really wanted a girl, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                          Mr and Mrs Marrow really wanted a girl, eh?
                                          They even gave him a girly rapper name. Ice-T...I ask you. Two Fingers of Bourbon, maybe....

Comment

I think you're right. The following are all Jameses:

Rick James
                                            LL Cool J
                                            Paul McCartney
                                            Roger McGuinn
                                            Iggy Pop
                                            PJ Proby
                                            Midge Ure​

Lots of Jims and Jimmys in pop. Although apparently Jimi Hendrix was a Johnny by birth.
                                            Vic Reeves has probably had enough hits to join this list.

Comment

Macca's parents never called him James:

"i was told that it was because if letters arrived at the house for James McCartney, you wouldn’t know whether it was my Dad - that was James McCartney - or me, James McCartney. So that worked until they called my brother - whose name was Peter Michael McCartney - Michael!? And there was no Peter in the house to confuse him with! So I’ve ended up thinking it was rather Irish! I’ve no idea! My mum was Irish – and I don’t know, maybe there’s just some old thing where they call you by your second name. Nobody ever called me James, it was always Paul!"

Comment

Originally posted by Disco Child Ballads View Post
                                                John Michael Stipe is another one who dropped the 'John'.
                                                Jack Charlton - number-one hit with "Back Home" in 1970 - was also a John.

Comment

Blur's Alex James is a Steven.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X