Modern music that incorporates traditional song / nursery rhymes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modern music that incorporates traditional song / nursery rhymes

Not sure I explain it so well in the title, but have heard a couple of songs in the last week or so which are largely based on a nursery rhyme or sea shanty.

Pere Ubu - Caligan's Mirror: Each verse lifts the refrain from "What Shall We do with the Drunken Sailor", the chorus then changes it a bit.

Can - Mary, Mary, So Contrary: Is basically Michael Mooney singing the rhyme, getting more shouty as the song goes on and adding some bits of urban depravity.

Must be lots more examples, but these are the ones that turned up on shuffle in the last week.
    Last edited by steveeeeeeeee; 22-02-2024, 15:24.

Mary Had A Little Lamb by Paul McCartney

Comment

Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush by Traffic

Comment

Banana Splits by the Dickies

Nellie The Elephant by the Toy Dolls

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
          Mary Had A Little Lamb by Paul McCartney
          Just checked this, it is awful.

Comment

^MHALL was released by McCartney as a sneer to the BBC, who'd recently banned their Give Ireland Back to the Irish.

Not sure whether any of these constitute 'modern' but:

Cradle of Love - Johnny Preston (references a number of trad songs, including Rock-a-Bye Baby and Jack Be Nimble)
            Simon Says - 1910 Fruitgum Company (incorporates Simon Says, obvs)
            Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Diana Ross (incorporates A-Tisket, A-Tasket)
            Big Seven - Judge Dread (various rude-ish revisions of nursery rhymes)
            Mockingbird - Carly Simon & James Taylor (basically the song itself)
            Oops Upside Your Head - The Gap Band (incorporates Jack & Jill)
            Me Myself and I - De La Soul (incorporates Mirror, Mirror on the Wall)
            Mary Had a Little Boy - Snap! (adopts Mary Had a Little Lamb)

Comment

The Clapping Song and The Name Game by Shirley Ellis.

Comment

Tubthumping includes a reference to Danny Boy.

Comment

The opening flute melody to Down Under by Men At Work was a trad childrens' song called Kookaburra Sits in The Old Gum Tree.

Comment

In Secret Girl by Sonic Youth there is the line "I am the boy that can enjoy invisibility" which is a line from Joyce's Ulysses said to be a rhyme Stephen's mother used to sing to him

Comment

Rammsteins Spieluhr is about a child who pretends to be dead and buried with a music box. The lyrics reference the tune played by the music box as the nursery rhyme Hoppe Hoppe Reiter

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                        The opening flute melody to Down Under by Men At Work was a trad childrens' song called Kookaburra Sits in The Old Gum Tree.
                        As Mr Hay discovered to his great cost.

Comment

Genesis’ Musical Box references Old King Cole. Probably not a surprise as it was on the puntastic Nusery Crymes LP.

Comment

The Queen Is Dead - The Smiths
                            (starts with Take Me Back To Dear Old Blighty)

Comment

Fire - Jimi Hendrix
                              (incorporates Old Mother Hubbard)

Comment

HMHB have obviously adapted or incorporated one or two kiddies' tunes in their time.

Comment

"Believe me if all those endearing young charms, which I gaze on so fondly today",,,,,,,,,Come on eileen!

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                    (incorporates A-Tisket, A-Tasket)
                                    Also part of Ham 'n' Eggs by A Tribe Called Quest.

Comment

The Cuckoo ("the cuckoo is a pretty bird, she warbles as she flies") appears in several songs, including High Water by Dylan

Comment

Does this also cover pop songs that use traditional folk tunes as there's likely to be a whole load of them. One that springs to mind is 'Belfast Child' by Simple Minds which uses the melody to 'She Moved Through the Fair'.

Comment

Moving In With by Happy Mondays includes a substantial lift from the story of Henny Penny (aka Chicken Little), including the rhyming animal names.

Comment

I feel like there's loads of Happy Mondays tracks that do this.

But anyway, Ice Cube - A Gangsta's Fairytale, with bonus Andrew Dice Clay sample.

Comment

Oh, and it's Chicken Licken aka Chicken Little.

Comment

Cheryl Cole's number one smash* Promise This has some kind of dodgy extrapolation of Alouette, Gentille Alouette as the hook

* (bloody hell, she's had five solo number ones! Well done to anyone who can name more than two of her singles off the top of their head)

Comment

Georgie Porgy - Toto

Comment

Working...
                                                  X