Cover versions with different time signatures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cover versions with different time signatures

The fashion these days, when doing a cover version, is to play it really fucking slowly. Probably on an acoustic guitar.

I reckon changing the time signature is a more interesting thing to do, but I can only think of three examples:

1. With a Little Help From my Friends by Joe Cocker, which changes the Beatles' 4/4 to 3/4.
    2. Conversely, Saint Etienne's cover of Neil Young's Only Love Can Break Your Heart goes in the other direction (3/4 to 4/4)
    3. The Scissor Sisters version of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb changes the original's 7/8 ¹ to a straight disco 4/4.

But are there any more examples of this?​
    ¹ I did have to look that one up

Quite a tricky one, but I reckon there'll be a fair few in reggae, where tricky time signatures are turned into (often) simpler ones. Here's a King Tubby dub of “Take Five”.

Comment

Rickie Lee Jones's version of Sympathy for the Devil. Not sure of the actual time signature but it's definitely slower than the original.

Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 16-02-2024, 01:19.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
        Quite a tricky one, but I reckon there'll be a fair few in reggae, where tricky time signatures are turned into (often) simpler ones. Here's a King Tubby dub of “Take Five”.
        Same but quite different, this one is an old favourite:

Comment

The version of the Mission Impossible theme from the first film, by the other two guys from U2. 5/4 to 4/4.

The Johnny Cash version of Soundgarden's Rusty Cage dispenses with the irregular time signature used in the second half of the original.

Comment

Tears for Fears "Mad World" and the version from the Donny Darko film that got to number one are different tempo, aren't they?

Comment

Amor de Cosmos, Rogin the Armchair fan

Tempo and time signature are not the same thing. Singing a song slowly doesn't change the time signature.

Comment

Working...
              X