The band came first: how you learned general knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The band came first: how you learned general knowledge

The Shangri-Las have been in the news, following the death of Mary Weiss.

"Leader of the Pack" got a lot of radio play when I was about 10-12 (not the original time of release, but in the 1970s). So that was the first time I'd heard of "Shangri-La". It was (as plural) the name of a band, nothing else.

Some time later (months, years?) I registered "Shangri-La" in common parlance as a synonym for Utopia, El Dorado, etc. Politicians accused of promising an unrealistic Shangri-La, that kind of thing. Then more years later I read Lost Horizon.

This has happened quite often. My school days were peak Status Quo, so everyone knew the name, except the occasional hapless teacher who would say something like "don't change teams, we'll keep the status quo" and was then bemused by the laughter. I learned the common legal phrase soon enough, but it definitely came second chronologically.

Some are a bit harder to place. I think Jethro Tull entered my brain in history class at about the same time as the band. I was never a Tintin reader, so the Thompson Twins were band first. And so on.

To be all prescriptive about the criteria here, it's not simply "what was a band named after?", but "what general knowledge could you expect to have acquired in life, even if the band or artist did not exist?". So the obscure literary references - there are many - only count if you and plenty of others have read the book, seen the film, or generally banged on about it to a patient but yawning listener.

Of course some are just "A happened before B" (McFly). But give yourself bonus points if you really did discover the films second.

Not a band name, but I certainly knew Hunky Dory as Bowie’s album title before I learned what the expression meant.

A girl at my school had a dog of that name, which I suggested to her was thus-called after the record. She had no idea what I was talking about.

Comment

Shangri La is also the title of a Kinks song. In combination with the Shangr Las and 'All Quiet On The Western Front' (which we had to read at school and which iirc ends with one character asking another where he's going and receiving the reply "Shangri La") it led me to believe that the phrase was far more common in general usage than it actually is.

I may have heard REM before learning about the sleep.

Comment

I'd heard of Styx before I knew about the mythological river
        At first, I assumed that the Doobie Brothers were actually brothers called Doobie, rather than that being a name for a joint
        I'm not sure any more, but coming from a completely areligious background I may have been aware of Genesis the band before Genesis the book
        ​​​​​​​

Comment

Shangri La is a kinky klassik

Comment

Quite a few of the above. Also Uriah Heep, The Mint Juleps, The Q-Tips, off the top off my head.

Comment

I heard about Canvey pub rockers Dr Feelgood before I knew anything about the earlier song/band, Piano Red (aka Dr Feelgood), the quack that supplied ‘energy drinks’ to JFK and other celebs, or the USian slang for a doctor prescribing drugs for, er, recreational rather than medical purposes.

Comment

Almost all of the above.

Also Rolling Stone. In fact, I think when I first heard "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" I wondered whose dad was Mick Jagger. And maybe even when I heard "Like A Rolling Stone" I thought it was referring to someone in the band. Only after that did I finally start processing that perhaps they all emerged from an earlier, separate phrase.

Comment

The Rutles did a great song called Shangri La, with a wonderful Hey Jude type ending to it.

Comment

Ditto viz Dr Feelgood.

As a kid, I thought that the ELO were an orchestra named, for whatever reason, in recognition of the electric light. (I mean, as opposed to a light orchestra that plays electric instruments, obvs.)

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                      Almost all of the above.

Also Rolling Stone. In fact, I think when I first heard "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" I wondered whose dad was Mick Jagger. And maybe even when I heard "Like A Rolling Stone" I thought it was referring to someone in the band. Only after that did I finally start processing that perhaps they all emerged from an earlier, separate phrase.
                      Muddy Waters after meeting Mick Jagger: "I'm proud they named their magazine after my song." *

*(more or less accurate)

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

As a kid, I thought that the ELO were an orchestra named, for whatever reason, in recognition of the electric light. (I mean, as opposed to a light orchestra that plays electric instruments, obvs.)
                        I thought that up to the age of nearly 58. That is to say, just now when I read this

Comment

Ha. I’ll concede that I was a bit more than a ‘kid’ when I finally twigged.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                            Some time later (months, years?) I registered "Shangri-La" in common parlance as a synonym for Utopia, El Dorado, etc. Politicians accused of promising an unrealistic Shangri-La, that kind of thing. Then more years later I read Lost Horizon.
                            James Hilton bent the name of the mythical Tibetan kingdom of 'Shambala' (also a hit song by Three Dog Night.) I think people of my parents generation popularised Shangri-la as both the book and movie were enormously popular in the 1930s

Comment

The Levellers (band before movement)
                              Thousand Yard Stare (band before PTSD affliction)

I heard Karma Chameleon before hearing the concept of karma

Comment

New Model Army - A band that I assumed was ironically named as if the members were models. It was at least 5 years before I discovered that Cromwell had a standing army with that name.

Comment

There was an early-90s band called Rollerskate Skinny. I never gave much thought to their name origin, until I read The Catcher in the Rye, where the phrase appears.

Comment

Can't believe it's taken this long for someone to mention Jethro Tull. Unless, of course, all of you are agrarian historians...

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                      Can't believe it's taken this long for someone to mention Jethro Tull. Unless, of course, all of you are agrarian historians...
                                      Check the OP

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Knight View Post
                                        There was an early-90s band called Rollerskate Skinny. I never gave much thought to their name origin, until I read The Catcher in the Rye, where the phrase appears.
                                        Yes I had the same experience with Steely Dan and The Naked Lunch
                                        Last edited by ad hoc; 21-01-2024, 18:29.

Comment

Viz the much-mentioned Jethro Tull, I imagine many initially thought that that was Ian Anderson’s name.

See also: Mungo Jerry - of whom I’d heard long before becoming aware of TS Eliot’s Practical Cats. (One of my sister’s exes used to mutter that he’d like to ‘punch Mungo Jerry in the face’, meaning Ray Dorset, obvs.)

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                            Check the OP
                                            Arse biscuits, I thought that I had...

Comment

It was so obvious, I didn’t bother posting. (Smiley.)

Comment

Good comeback...

Comment

I had bought, loved and worn out two albums before I had any inkling of what Dexys Midnight Runners were peddling.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X