Sam's 2024 in music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam's 2024 in music

This year I'm trying to reconnect a bit with creative stuff I used to love. I got my reading mojo back in 2019, and now I'm trying to do the same thing with music, so thought I'd start this thread to a) keep myself accountable (if I remember to update it) and b) perhaps gather some suggestions.

So, the deal is that I don't listen to music as much any more because I got into history podcasts a few years ago, so listen to those when travelling to and from pool sessions or podcast recordings, and when working I can't do background music because if it's got lyrics in a language I can understand it distracts me from the language I'm meant to be proofreading and if it's instrumental (or has lyrics in a language I can't understand) I just focus entirely on the job and find whole albums go past and I don't have a clue what they sounded like. As such, my plan for the year is modest: listen to two artists each week who I've not listened to (in an 'actually paying attention' sense) before. Each week I'll aim for one 'Old' act and one 'Contemporary' act. Very broadly speaking, 'Old' refers to anyone who'd released all their notable stuff before I moved to Argentina (April 2010) and 'Contemporary' means anyone who's become a really notable act since then. I'm open to suggestions who span those eras, and will probably chuck them in the 'Contemporary' bucket. My plan is to listen to two albums by each artist each week, and I might go for more depending on my mood / how much time there is / how much I like them. Obviously this isn't a trying-to-better-myself thing, so if the first thing I listen to makes me want to stick a compass point in my ear I'll give the second album a chance for a song or two and if it's no better I won't torture myself.

To be clear, while for the first artist (see next para) I've listened to their first three albums in order, don't feel you need to recommend others on this basis. For most I'll just go with their biggest couple of albums, or if anyone here has a particular recommendation then that plus one other (or the two you recommend).

I've started this evening, by listening to the first three albums by the folk rock duo Simon & Garfunkel (you might have heard of them). One of the joys of this project, if I manage to continue it, is going to be finally being able to put act names and titles to songs I've heard a bazillion times in the background, but this wasn't one of those occasions: the only song I was already aware was by them before tonight is the obvious one, and no new 'oh! this is by them!' surprises have hit me during tonight's session. Given their discography is relatively short, and given that each album (so far) is as well, I'll probably listen to the rest in the next few days. To be honest this first choice is largely so I have a bit of context when, a little later in the project, I listen to Simon's solo stuff, because my best mate told me quite a few years ago now that for a project he was working on (he's a drummer – not as in it's his hobby, but as in that's what he does for a living) he'd had to listen to Graceland and, expecting to be bored by it, had been blown away. I've still never listened to it.

Anyway, thoughts: it's fine. Focus is very much on the songwriting, which is nice and tight, and I like the melodies (I'm aware from Wiki that there'll be fewer of those in the stuff I have yet to listen to). The two songs with 'groovy' in the title ('We've Got a Groovy Thing Goin'' from Sounds Of Silence and '59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)' from Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme) are ... mixed. And not at all groovy to this funk, soul and disco fan (but what did I expect from a folk act?). I liked WGaGTG more. I've also come away with the feeling that while I can see the appeal, 'The Sound of Silence' seems head and shoulders above the other stuff in these first three records – but I've always had a bit of a thing for getting hooked by the song I'm most familiar with when listening to a new-ish act, so I wonder whether this is another bit of this.

I don't have a confirmed Contemporary act for Week 1 yet, but given it ends on Sunday* I'll probably go with Taylor Swift, who's going to get listened to at some point this year so it may as well be sooner rather than later, unless anyone's got a more pressing suggestion (I'm not sure what exactly would make it more pressing). If anyone has a competing suggestion, or wants to tell me which two Taylor Swift albums I should give my time to, please jump in.

Any other suggestions both Old and Contemporary are welcome. I want to expand my repertoire, so all genres are welcome (though I reserve the right to pass on especially loud stuff as I'll be mostly listening on ear/headphones and don't want to damage hearing in the one ear I have), but what I particularly like, as mentioned above, is funk, soul and disco, as well as jazz and salsa. Hip-hop too, but I don't know an awful lot of that (and am aware it's not particularly an 'album genre' so to speak). Ideally I'll end up listening to a good mix of those genres and stuff I wouldn't otherwise bother with if not for this little game. If it's stuff I might have heard in a bar but never known who it's by, and you think it's any good, please let me know. As one example that springs to mind (which folk on here may or may not think is worth pursuing further), I frequently see/hear 'Mr Brightside' by (I think?) The Killers mentioned as being totally ubiquitous, but I couldn't hum or sing you a single note of it because while I'm sure, given how ubiquitous it's meant to be, I must have heard it, I've never actually identified it as 'Mr Brightside' by (I think?) The Killers. I gather they'd fall into my Old bucket, though, given how long they've been around for. Contemporary-wise, really do recommend anything: Janelle Monáe is by a distance the most recently successful artist I'm more than passingly familiar with, and while she's a fucking genius, I am also very aware that The ArchAndroid came out nearly 14 years ago (I actually had to look that up, and could have sworn it came out at least a year before I moved here), so she'd barely scrape into this bucket and, in any case, I already know and love her. Basically any artist whose first big album came after that is fair game.

*For Week 1, I'll probably give myself another couple of days to get through it, because I only decided quite late on Saturday that I was actually going to attempt this, and only decided two minutes before starting this post that I'd make said attempt public.
    Last edited by Sam; 07-01-2024, 07:39.

When I'm listening to an artist I know little about I normally head straight for their biggest albums so, with regard to Simon and Garfunkel, I'd have gone for their albums of the late sixties rather than their first three. Some of their songs are groovy but in the old-fashioned sense of the word, not the musical.

Regarding contemporary music, if you like Janelle monae, you might like kali uchis. I first heard her sing 'que te pedi' which attracted my attention as I knew it from an old Tito puente compilation I have. I don't know if you're into flamenco, old or new, but Rosalia could be something you might be into.

Comment

Seconded on S&G, I was going to recommend Bridge Over Troubled Water as their magnificent swansong.

Comment

I like this idea and will be interested to see recommendations. Here's a couple from me.

Old Artist - The Tragically Hip. Recommend: Fully Completely and Phantom Power

Contemporary Artist - Ward Thomas, duo from Hampshire, part of the UK's "Country and South Western" scene. Their first two albums.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
          When I'm listening to an artist I know little about I normally head straight for their biggest albums so, with regard to Simon and Garfunkel, I'd have gone for their albums of the late sixties rather than their first three
          Interesting, in that I would start with the earliest stuff, no doubt faulty logic telling me that if you start with the accepted best then it's only downnhill from there.

Comment

No albums here but this is my favourite radio show, where I hear the majority of the baile funk that is what excites me these days.

https://www.nts.live/shows/living-gatlato

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Interesting, in that I would start with the earliest stuff, no doubt faulty logic telling me that if you start with the accepted best then it's only downnhill from there.
              I'd see that as potentially faulty logic but then I seem to really like bands that took a while to get going.

What do you do in an Oasis or Garbage situation when their first album is also by far and away their best / most iconic / the one really worth listening to?

Comment

The Killers mentioned as being totally ubiquitous, but I couldn't hum or sing you a single note of it because while I'm sure, given how ubiquitous it's meant to be, I must have heard it, I've never actually identified it as 'Mr Brightside' by (I think?) The Killers zz0.n02gv88arkmzz
                Hehe this is exactly my experience of The Killers. People kept saying 'you'll know them, You must know Mr Brightside"'. I'd come round to the idea I probably would know it if I heard it knowingly, surely. Then at one point I googled Mr Brightside and listened to it and it was nothing like what I expected. It must have made no impression whatsoever on me, ever.

Comment

If you like S&G, it's worth bending an ear to Martin Cathy's version of this song, which apparently is where Paul Simon learnt it from

Comment

I like the Killers but would advise just buying the best of if you haven't heard anything by them. There isn't much more to be gained from listening to the albums.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                      I've started this evening, by listening to the first three albums by the folk rock duo Simon & Garfunkel (you might have heard of them).
                      It's shame you didn't include Bookends, their fourth album. For me it marks both a leap in lyric writing by Small Paul, and avoids the Baroque excess of their latter stuff, particularly Bridge Over Troubled Water.

Comment

Thanks for all the recs so far, folks! Keep 'em coming. Jon, Rosalía is actually on the list already because (as you might be aware) she's absolutely huge over here at the moment.

And Amor de Cosmos, don't worry, I'm not going to stop at the ones I make myself listen to each week (unless I dislike them). In particular for Simon & Garfunkel because, as I hinted, I really want an idea of what led Simon to Graceland as much as anything. I actually listened to Bookends earlier and was going to come here this evening and say it is a distinct step up from the first three, and one I'll definitely listen to again in the future.

Comment

And I've just finished listening to Bridge Over Troubled Water. I can see what you mean, Amor. Harmonies largely out of the window, and the tightness of those earlier albums isn't there: two of the tracks are over four (4) minutes long! I didn't dislike it at all, but what it gains in scope it loses in fineness of craft, for me. I think I'd have Bookends top, BOTW second and the first three below them (with Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M. bottom) in my personal chart right now. But overall the verdict on artist #1 of this (theoretically) 104-artist list is a positive one. Also BOTW has given me the first couple of 'ah-ha!' moments of the musical year: first, I must have known in the past that S&G did the original 'Cecilia' (I absolutely knew the Suggs version that came out when I was a kid was a cover; I'd just forgotten of whom), but had forgotten; second, I recognised the chorus (but, oddly, not the rest) of 'The Boxer'.

Anyway, got to catch up by starting on the Contemporary artist for Week 1 now, so I'm going straight into Taylor Swift. I think I'll go for the original version of 1989 now, and tomorrow I'll get my girlfriend to ask one of her friends (who's a massive Swifty) to recommend me a second album. Obviously I won't be listening to her entire discography in just over 24 hours.

Comment

Anyway, got to catch up by starting on the Contemporary artist for Week 1 now, so I'm going straight into Taylor Swift. I think I'll go for the original version of 1989 now
                            Well, I'll be listening to this during the day at some point so I can pump it up on the big speakers, I can say that much.

Comment

I'm going straight into Taylor Swift. I think I'll go for the original version of 1989 now, and tomorrow I'll get my girlfriend to ask one of her friends (who's a massive Swifty) to recommend me a second album. Obviously I won't be listening to her entire discography in just over 24 hours.
                              Based on my limited exposure from what my daughter (a big Swiftie) has played me - follow 1989 up with Folklore.
                              Last edited by Sits; 08-01-2024, 10:39. Reason: Edited for brevity and ease of reading.

Comment

That's one of the two albums my girlfriend's friend said to try next, so given it now has two votes it'll be the one I put on later tonight. Thanks Sits!

Comment

Given the money I spent on a 1989 cardigan, my daughter would be fine with that. The two with the grey covers (which Folklore is one) are the ones she did with The Guy From The National. It is very much a different vibe than the ones she has done With The Guy From Fun.

Recommendations? Long standing (and Diggedy Derek fave) The Necks. I will keep recommending them till you all listen to them.

Modern? Maybe Young Fathers? Turnstile? Idles are rapidly turning into an awful mess.

Comment

All three of those have gone on the list for future listens, so thanks dglh.

Comment

All three of those have gone on the list for future listens, so thanks dglh.
                                      Necks! Necks! Necks!

the other two are well regarded - YF (UK) and Turnstile (US) and their audience is growing rapidly. It isn’t even a total collection of artists I love. More ones I think you should give a roll.

obviously I love the Necks. If you hate on the Necks there might be war.

Everyone can find a moment where listening to The Necks improves their life. There will be times you need to file it for later, I just can’t see how the Necks can’t find a home in anyone’s life.
                                      Last edited by caja-dglh; 09-01-2024, 05:27.

Comment

Given that I looked up The Necks on Wikipedia and immediately saw the words 'avant garde jazz', I doubt I'll be hating on them. I may or may not like them, but they're in one of my ballparks so I'd say their chances are good.

Comment

Just finished Folklore. Certainly very different from 1989. The latter hits far more of my personal sweet spots, so Folklore won't get relistened to as much, but they're both good. I'll check out some more of her stuff some time.

And that concludes Week 1. For Week 2 I have yet to decide which Contemporary act I'll be doing, but I'd appreciate any suggestions for which two albums to start with by this week's Old act: Duran Duran. Looking at the song titles in the intro of their Wiki page, I recognise 'Girls on Film', 'Rio' and the total banger that is 'Notorious'.

Comment

Hmmm, Notorious. I was going to suggest Rio as the standout for sure, album-wise, and their first one as it has Planet Earth and Girls On Film on it. I am very much an early Durannie, if you couldn't tell.

Comment

My favourite Duran single (and probably least successful) was Careless Memories which I assume was on the first album

Comment

For Duran Duran I'd just try and find their greatest hits album Decade, as that has a couple of cracking tracks, "Is There Something I Should Know" and "Wild Boys", not on studio albums

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

Necks! Necks! Necks!

obviously I love the Necks. If you hate on the Necks there might be war.

Everyone can find a moment where listening to The Necks improves their life. There will be times you need to file it for later, I just can’t see how the Necks can’t find a home in anyone’s life.

Go caja: protect your Necks

Comment

Working...
                                                  X